Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Verizon Wireless + Powerbook

Verizon Wireless + Powerbook
bkarlsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 10:01 PM

Hey guys,

I have been looking to get a little information from anyone that can help me with this. I need to have a wireless connection while I am on the road, and need it to work with my new 15" PB. I already use VZW and really like their service, so I need to find out which of their aircards will work on mac. The VZW store seems to have no clue and neither does their tech support. Please help

spindler
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2005, 10:12 PM

Verizon officialy supports one and only one card, the Kyocera KPC 650. Other cards may work but you would need to call the manufacturer or Apple for support on the drivers. If you go to http://vzw.smithmicro.com/download you will see the driver for the card. Call 1 866 788 9387 options 2, 2, 1 for broadband support and they will tell you they only support that card.

jdm5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by bkarlsen
Hey guys,

I have been looking to get a little information from anyone that can help me with this. I need to have a wireless connection while I am on the road, and need it to work with my new 15" PB. I already use VZW and really like their service, so I need to find out which of their aircards will work on mac. The VZW store seems to have no clue and neither does their tech support. Please help
I'm currently using the Aircard 5220 for my daily commute on the train to/from NYC - been using it for over a year and it works great. The only problem is recently they had a firmware upgrade for it -- it detected it when I tried to use the card on a new Wintel laptop. Unfortunately the firmware upgrade totally hoses the Apple driver's ability to display signal strength or EVDO/1xRTT connectivity. You can read more about this here: http://www.evdoinfo.com/Tips/PC_5220...r_20050830547/

The Kyocera KPC 650 is apparently fully supported on OSX: http://www.evdoinfo.com/The_News/Lat...)_20050822525/

My 'broken' 5220 still works fine, just don't get the feedback I used to. Very annoying, but I'm not buying a new card over it.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

satcomtim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 10:34 PM

I use the 5220 card as well, no problems at all. Except for the firmware upgrage and losing feedback.

Tim
Mine:15" PB 1.67 SD, 128 VRAM, 1.5 GB Ram, 100 GB HD ~Tiger~
Wife: 12" PB 1.5 SD, 512 Ram, 80 GB ~Tiger~

spindler
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2005, 10:36 PM

The key to the firmware upgrade was that you have to have the laptop plugged in to the wall or problems can happen, just for future reference.

bkarlsen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 10:41 PM

Great thanks for the help. I guess I will go with the Kyocera 650 since it is fully supported, and doesnt seem to have the upgrade problem the 5220 does. I appreciate all of your info

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 10:25 AM

I use the Kyocera KPC 650 and love it. And so does my dog. Now that I can take my PB to the dog park and surf at EVDO speeds while he plays, he gets to go to the park a lot more.

techrage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 02:48 PM

if you have the motorola e815, all you need to do is press ##dialup quickley to enable dial upconnections. then link your powerbook to your phone via bluetooth. Sign up for vcast or some internet service and your good to go. no cards required or anything, you jus need your owerbook in the viciinity of your phone and cell phone reception. look on howardforums for details

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2005, 03:01 PM

I have 5220 card also; like they say it works but interface is crippled somewhat on Mac. I am considering going to Cingular since I need a voice plan to get the $59/month deal with Verizon. I've been with them a year and my contract expires in a few days. Cingular has its edge and new HSPDA network comming out, and since I have a voice plan with them I may look into what they have in my area.

bkarlsen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 03:11 PM

I had considered trying to use my Verizon LG-8100 to get high speed internet, however from what I have been able to find out online the LG 8100 has basically been crippled by Verizon. You cannot use it for a high speed dial up connection even with the vcast service. That is why I was checking into the aircard. From what I have seen here the Kyocera KPC650 seems to be my best bet. Thanks again.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2005, 04:01 PM

Ive got a 12'' Powerbook with Bluetooth and would like to get a cell that i can use to get online. Were moving onto a boat soon and need a way to get online. Who would be the best to go with? We live in Charleston SC USA.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 08:39 PM

I use a Motorola e815 with VCAST subscription and connect via bluetooth. It's quick. Feels like a slow DSL connection to me. Works great the road. I was even chatting online while driving once. (okay, i switched with the driver in a parking lot and quickly hit "brb" into my chat window while going less than one mile per hour.)

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2005, 08:48 PM

Well ive got dial up right now, if its faster than that ill be happy.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 07:51 PM

I use an LG-VX9800 via bluetooth when I need to get on quick when wifi is unavailabe, although it is a VCAST phone, I am only able to connect to the 1xrtt network through DUN, it's speed is equivalent to a 56k landline dial-up, when I do a speed test it usually is around 70kbps.

Chris

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 02:47 AM

How are you guys connecting to your PB's? USB?
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 01:30 PM

Are you guys referring to the 79 dollar / month plan? It actually looks like a viable alternative to the satellite internet I have been suffering with for the past few months. How is the upload rate on these cards?

Most of my activites involve large amount of upstream ( uploading files to my webserver / WoW ), Think this card will be any better then my current 2 kbps upstream? Is there a bandwidth / transfer limit on their unlimited plan? The website is sparse with information.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 10:30 PM

Nevermind, just ordered.

Forum Links
Forum Rules