Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OSX Bundled!!! And Officially!!!

OSX Bundled!!! And Officially!!!
Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2001, 03:25 PM

Today, Jobs announced that Apple will be bundling OSX with all new products from very today and not July. I am very happy that I haven't yet received my iBook. I just saved $120

Voch
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 03:28 PM

I got my iBook in May 8th. I suppose that this means I don't get a free copy of Mac OS X, then.

No biggie. I'm still a Classic OS person for now anyway.

This doesn't mean, however, that I won't call Apple and ask for it anyway.

Voch

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 03:39 PM

Having OS X pre-installed on my iBook is more of a detriment than anything else. Now I have to take the time to reformat my drives (should my iBook ever arrive) and make 1 partition with 9.1 on it.

First, OS X is slow and unresposive on a 733mhz G4 with 512mb of RAM...I can not imagine OS X's speed being close to bearable on an iBook without G4 optimization, a faster propcessor, or bucket loads of RAM. Let's face it, on a stock CD-Rom model with 64mb of RAM, OS X just won't run.

Also, it'd be a pretty tight fit to run 2 OS's on a 10gb drive. This seriously cuts down on storage space, as the minimum install for X is close to a gb.

Reagrdless, at this point, I don't habe and don't anticipate having (for a good long time) an iBook NOT to install X on.

It seems to me that OS X, up to this point, has been a miserable failure for Apple and Mac OS users...it is an incomplete OS with serious problems and very little real softwar esupport. Now, they are jamming it down our throats.

Tom C
May 21, 2001, 03:43 PM

The good news is that not only are new Macs coming with OS X installed, but if you buy a qualifying Mac that doesn't have OS X in the box, you qualify for the up-to-date program. The list of qualifying products is listed at http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/. The list includes some pretty old hardware (366 MHz iBooks, 350 MHz iMacs, etc.)
Even better, it looks like they're not charging the usual $19.95...the instructions and form mention nothing about sending money. An absolutely free upgrade.

The bad news is that only purchases between May 21 and August 21 qualify. I feel sorry for the people who just bought their new iBooks 2 weeks ago.

Janger
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 04:18 PM

Excuse if I put it this way... MERDE! I spent $120 on Mac OS X just about two months ago. I wouldn't be that angry if I had been able to use it during the last 60 days, but my G4/533 is broken somehow (does not run X nor the 9.1-CD that came with X, although it's perfetcly stable under OS 9.1) and I still have to send it in for repair. They told me it's a hardware related problem and it didn't have to do anything with the new system.
And now I am getting it for free! On the other hand: I guess I am the first private user who really pays for two licenses on two Macs. So well.

wavegroom
May 21, 2001, 04:56 PM

I like OS X, It was one of the main reason to buy the new iBook and not an PC... I can't wait for my First MAC - The nice and new iBook...
I ordered my iBook on an local reseller... they will get them on Wednesday... (I hope... I pray)
So my Question is, will I get the free update to OS X? I ordered it before the 21. May, but I will get it this week. I have already paid it....
so what?
Will I get the free OS X update????

Stage 4 * Shipping * 15" Alu / 1.25GHZ / Superdrive / 5400 RPM Disk

iPaul UK
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 05:32 PM

I just hope the new iBooks come with a proper version of OS 9.1 aswell, and not just the OS X emulated version, or whatever it is.. Because I can't say i'm a fan of OS X, plus none of the important software I use will run on it. Personally, I think this is Apples attempt to get more people to take up OS X. Not that I mind.. But like I say, I still want to stick with the original OS 9.1 for a while when I Get my new iBook. Whenever that might be...

Bernard Ducamp
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 05:40 PM

MojoRising022 wrote: First, OS X is slow and unresposive on a 733mhz G4 with 512mb of RAM...I can not imagine OS X's speed being close to bearable on an iBook without G4 optimization, a faster propcessor, or bucket loads of RAM.
--------------------
Mojo: I have been running OS X on a G3/350 with 192 MB of RAM and it has been at least acceptable or better. I hope you can figure out what your 733 MHz G4 is suffering from. I think the OS X installation must somehow be lacking, because many other persons are veeeeeeeeeerry happy with OS X at 733 MHz G4 speed.

You can make all the observations you want, but it has always been true that new OS releases (Apple's, Microsoft's, etc.) are based on future machines being faster and more powerful, and only run "o.k." on current hardware.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 05:47 PM

This is odd though because Apple is still shipping some iBook and iMac configs with only 64MB RAM, even though X "requires" 128. A computer that can't run it's own bundled software is, well, wrong. Anyway, this is a big step towards getting developers hyped on X and getting product in peoples' hands to show off to potential new customers.

jagga
Senior User
May 21, 2001, 06:08 PM

if they chose May 21st as the date for their UP-TO-Date program; what about all the people who bought their iBooks this Sat. in one of the new Apple Stores.

Thats gotta suck for those people.

------------------
Jagga
Check out some screenshots here
My Server

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2001, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by MojoRising022:
Having OS X pre-installed on my iBook is more of a detriment than anything else. Now I have to take the time to reformat my drives (should my iBook ever arrive) and make 1 partition with 9.1 on it.

First, OS X is slow and unresposive on a 733mhz G4 with 512mb of RAM...I can not imagine OS X's speed being close to bearable on an iBook without G4 optimization, a faster propcessor, or bucket loads of RAM. Let's face it, on a stock CD-Rom model with 64mb of RAM, OS X just won't run.

Also, it'd be a pretty tight fit to run 2 OS's on a 10gb drive. This seriously cuts down on storage space, as the minimum install for X is close to a gb.

Reagrdless, at this point, I don't habe and don't anticipate having (for a good long time) an iBook NOT to install X on.

It seems to me that OS X, up to this point, has been a miserable failure for Apple and Mac OS users...it is an incomplete OS with serious problems and very little real softwar esupport. Now, they are jamming it down our throats.
Steve Jobs said "We're going to leave the default on OS 9, but it's so easy to flip we think many will".

This means it comes with OS9.1 but will also have OSX on it. So stop complaining.

------------------

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2001, 08:20 PM

I don't think he meant that they won't come with OS9.1 now - just that he wants it on a seperate partition - which is how many people install OSX.

I ordered my iBook 2 days ago. Guess I'll have to cancel it and re-order it if I want a pre-installed OSX.

jagga is right - all those new iBook purchasers this past weekend will be a little pissed.

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

[This message has been edited by murbot (edited 05-21-2001).]

Ambria
May 21, 2001, 08:27 PM

>>First, OS X is slow and unresposive on a 733mhz G4 with 512mb of RAM...I can not imagine OS X's speed being close to bearable on an iBook without G4 optimization, a faster propcessor, or bucket loads of RAM. Let's face it, on a stock CD-Rom model with 64mb of RAM, OS X just won't run.<<

I don't understand people who think you absolutely have to have the newest product on the market to run the new OS. There are tons of people out there with upgraded beige boxes running without a problem. My hubby has a blue and white with 5 gigs at work and has been running X flawlessly for quite a while.

Also, remember that the X that was sold was NOT the final release. There are always bugs to be worked out. That's what updaters are for. Besides, the majority of apps aren't even available for it yet.

------------------
- Ambria
- Ambria

freebird
May 21, 2001, 09:08 PM

First of all, if you placed an order for an iBook and it did not ship prior to May 21, you are entitled to the free copy of OS X. Your date of sale is when the iBook ships. No retailer should be charging anyone's credit cards until that time. Further, the date Apple uses for warranty purposes is the date you receive the iBook. Use copies of the "it's shipping" e-mail and your packing slip. Both will show when the iBook shipped to you.

It's already being reported that people who bought an iBook Sat. at either Apple Store were send email asking them to come back in and get a free copy of OS X.

For anyone else who made a recent purchase prior to May 21, call Apple. You may get a "no", but maybe not. It's worth a shot.

OS X preinstalled means nothing more than you have a choice which OS to boot into. You can boot into OS 9 and never try OS X. You can wipe the drive and use the included OS 9 CD and get rid of all traces of OS X.

As for OS X performance, I have OS X running on a 400mhz G3 firewire powerbook and a 400 mhz G3 USB/SCSI powerbook. Both run OS X fine, but it is a tad slower than OS 9. I became so accustomed to OS X with 4 days that I hate going back to OS X. I have no doubt that the update to OS X scheduled for July 17 will make OS X faster than OS 9.

Apps for OS X are appearing with more frequency. The standards such as Photoshop and Office will still be awhile. Some people will choose not to upgrade until their frequently used apps are OS X native. That's fine, I don't blame them.

There is no reason that the iBook cannot run OSX. I highly recommend more than 128mb of ram for optimal performance however. Ram prices are pretty low right now and even in OS 9, then more ram the better.

PowerBookDude
May 21, 2001, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by murbot:

I ordered my iBook 2 days ago. Guess I'll have to cancel it and re-order it if I want a pre-installed OSX.

I just called The Apple Store and they said my iBook BTO Combo Drive which I ordered like I think on the 15th will ship with Mac OS X pre-installed.

No need for canceling it and re-ordering!

EDIT: Read this about OS X (from XLR8YOURMAC)
"Dear Apple Customer,
Earlier this morning at the World Wide Developers Conference in San Jose, CA, Steve Jobs announced that Apple will start shipping all CPUs with Mac OS X. The CPU you purchased is preloaded with Mac OS 9.1. If you would like OS X, please visit us in the next 10 days to receive your free copy.
The Apple Store
Tysons Corner
[email protected] "

PBDude

[This message has been edited by PowerBookDude (edited 05-21-2001).]

bikinijack
May 21, 2001, 10:32 PM

Here is what I want to know: If they are shipping the iBooks with sys 9.1 and Sys X, is the 9.1 the full blown sys 9.1 or the emulator that comes with sys X? Will there be a way of taking either off the iBook as it seems two systems may hog up a lot of drive space.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
This is odd though because Apple is still shipping some iBook and iMac configs with only 64MB RAM, even though X "requires" 128. A computer that can't run it's own bundled software is, well, wrong.
They did it with my PB520. It came with 7.1 installed and 7.5 disk images on the HD. Came with a note recommending upgrading to 8 MB RAM before installing (the 520 came with 4).

BobVB
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 10:47 PM

bikinijack said:
---------------------
Here is what I want to know: If they are shipping the iBooks with sys 9.1 and Sys X, is the 9.1 the full blown sys 9.1 or the emulator that comes with sys X?
----------------------
Where did you get the idea that OS X shipped with an 'emulator'? The OS 9.1 disk is the same one you'd use if you were going to only install 9.1.

Classic support in OS X is not an 'emulator' you are just running two OS's at the same time. It pretty much has to be the 'full blown' System 9.1

AlbertDeschesne
May 21, 2001, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by jagga:
if they chose May 21st as the date for their UP-TO-Date program; what about all the people who bought their iBooks this Sat. in one of the new Apple Stores.

Thats gotta suck for those people.

Yes -- it does. I got my combo 'book at the Apple Store in Glendale and I already have OSX (was running it on my Wallstreet). BTW OSX runs MUCH faster on my new 'book with it's stock 128 megs RAM than my Wallstreet with 320 Megs.

Albert

freebird
May 22, 2001, 05:12 AM

AlbertDeschesne, go back to the Glendale store. Take your receipt. They'll give you a copy of OS X.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2001, 05:57 PM

They wouldn't partition the drive and have them on seperate partitions, would they? I wonder if they'll just come installed alongside each other on the drive...

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

Forum Links
Forum Rules