Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Minimising windows randomly becomes choppy in Leopard 10.5.6

Minimising windows randomly becomes choppy in Leopard 10.5.6
cleary_jp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2009, 09:20 PM

I have one of the newest iMacs, I did a clean re-install of leopard the other day and this morning noticed minimising windows has become VERY choppy. Maximising is fine. This wasn't happening when I did the re-install only started this morning. I haven't installed any new programs, its got an NVIDIA GeForce 9400 so I don't thinks its related to the graphics cards. Any ideas? Would another clean re-install fix the issue?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2009, 11:25 PM

Click on the Blue magnifying glass, see if it says it's indexing your hard drive. Indexing will make your computer seem slow for a while until it's finished.

The first thing the computer does after a clean install is index the hard drive.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2009, 11:57 AM

This is a very old issue, I've been seeing it on all my macs since forever, first noticed the problem in 10.2 i think. Then later during the 10.3 era I discovered the cause described below, I have reported this bug to apple multiple times, but its not been fixed yet.

As far as I've seen its caused by launching an application that immediately crashes during its first "bounce", it happens frequently when developing apps for example. After a long session of Xcode, I always have to fix the minimize problem by just restarting the Dock.

That is, running "killall Dock" in Terminal fixes the problem, until another app crashes while starting again.

If you don't believe me, it can easily be reproduced by creating a "fake app" that can reproduce the problem at will.

Basically type this in terminal to create a "fake app" on your Desktop named test.app:
Code:
cd Desktop mkdir -p test.app/Contents/MacOS cp /bin/ls test.app/Contents/MacOS/test
When you run this app you will notice how a small animation happening in the dock where the app would have popped up if it wouldn't have quit.
That I believe is what "breaks" the Dock somehow, and after that all window minimizations are choppy just as you describe(with window maximizing still being fine).

In conclusion run this in terminal each time you get this problem:
Code:
killall Dock

cleary_jp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2009, 12:05 AM

Thanks for that ul1984. I had a feeling it might be a small glitch like that. Good to know for the future!

Forum Links
Forum Rules