Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac backlight life and computer RT

iMac backlight life and computer RT
MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2011, 06:24 AM

Four questions

1) What is the expected life span of my iMac (in hours) ?

2) What is the expected life of the screen backlight illumination of my iMac ?

3) What type of display illumination does my iMac have, LED, flourescent, or what else ?

4) How can I find out how long my iMac has been powered up for, since I bought it, excluding sleep ?

(I know I have asked one of these before, 2 years ago, but didn't really get satisfactory answer then)

Thanks

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

P
May 10, 2011, 06:53 AM

1) There isn't one. Each part has its own warranty - the HDs are anywhere between 1 and 5 years.

2) Again, there isn't a hard and fast number. It varies significantly, but at least 10000 hours and usually closer to 50000 for the bigger backlights used in an iMac. This number is also quoted for running the screen at max brightness - if you run it at anything lower, the time is longer. The screen will also not die abruptly - it will slowly lose brightness.

3) CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent Light).

4) You can check the time the internal HD has been powered on using the SMART tools. Easiest is probably to use SMARTreporter, but obviously it doesn't work if you have replaced the HD.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

MacNNUK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
1) There isn't one. Each part has its own warranty - the HDs are anywhere between 1 and 5 years.

2) Again, there isn't a hard and fast number. It varies significantly, but at least 10000 hours and usually closer to 50000 for the bigger backlights used in an iMac. This number is also quoted for running the screen at max brightness - if you run it at anything lower, the time is longer. The screen will also not die abruptly - it will slowly lose brightness.

3) CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent Light).

4) You can check the time the internal HD has been powered on using the SMART tools. Easiest is probably to use SMARTreporter, but obviously it doesn't work if you have replaced the HD.
Comprehensive and excellent reply, thank you.

MacNNUK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post

Finally sussed how to do this... for others...

Smart Reporter
Preferences
Control Click on HDD
Short Smart Selftest
Inspect results
Lifetime hours in log !!

4,246 hours over 3 years in my case. (3.8 hours per day rt, sounds about right as I sleep my iMac quite a lot during 12 hours ontime a day)

Thanks

(I wonder what more impressive lifetime hours others have achieved)

Forum Links
Forum Rules