Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird Screen Sharing message

Weird Screen Sharing message
ctbritt
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2007, 03:16 PM

Hello all: When ever I attempt to share screen with my G5 iMac from my MBP, I get the following error:

Anyone have any idea what this means? I don't think I have anything out of the ordinary set on the iMac version of Leopard. Just plain old screen sharing is enabled. Any thoughts?

It doesn't occur when sharing over bonjour using iChat. It only shows up when started from the finder. Also, I noticed on the iMac, there's a process called OSXvnc-ser running. I assume this is an alternate vnc server, but it seems to start on its own. Any suggestions on turning it off?

thanks,
chris
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ctbritt View Post
Hello all: When ever I attempt to share screen with my G5 iMac from my MBP, I get the following error:

Anyone have any idea what this means? I don't think I have anything out of the ordinary set on the iMac version of Leopard. Just plain old screen sharing is enabled. Any thoughts?

It doesn't occur when sharing over bonjour using iChat. It only shows up when started from the finder. Also, I noticed on the iMac, there's a process called OSXvnc-ser running. I assume this is an alternate vnc server, but it seems to start on its own. Any suggestions on turning it off?

thanks,
chris
It seems that (somehow) your iMac has a 3rd party VNC server running (the process should be 'AppleVNCServer'). I get that same error when connecting to my Debian box, but its normal. Have you had any 3rd party VNC servers installed in the past? Does this process quit when you disable screen sharing? Is the 'AppleVNCServer' process running at the same time as the other process?

edit: I wonder if this has anything to do with PPC Leopard vs Intel Leopard.
Signature depreciated.

ctbritt  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2007, 04:02 PM

You're right. Had some old vnc server I had installed under Tiger still running in /Library/System Startup Items... Removed it and restarted and boom! I'm back in business with no problems. And it's much zippier, too. That old server was dreadfully slow.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
edit: I wonder if this has anything to do with PPC Leopard vs Intel Leopard.
There is no PowerPC Leopard nor Intel Leopard. There is only one Leopard.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules