Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" for Web Design?

12" for Web Design?
immsav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2002, 04:00 PM

I'm about to "switch" to an iBook, but I'm not sure whether the 800/12" or 14" model is right for me.

I'll use the 'book for web design, mainly, and I'm a little concerned about screen real estate. I've check out the 12s at an Apple store, and they just seem a little tiny (but oh-so-portable). The 14 looks nice, but it's big, and I don't know if I can justify the extra $300.

I try to rationalize the 12" by saying to myself that I will use it as an extended display to my monitor, but I just know the draw of working from the couch or bed will be too much.

Does anyone use a 12 for design-type work? Is it just too tiny?

Thanks,
Jacob

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 04:50 PM

Remember that the 12 and 14-inch iBooks have the same 1024x768 screen resolution. So, although the 14" screen in bigger, you don't actually get any additional screen real estate. In that case: if you don't mind the smaller type and such, you might want to go for the 12" since it's more portable.

If screen real estate is a major concern for you, then you might want to consider a Powerbook. It has a bigger 15" widescreen at a much higher resolution. You should be able to get a pretty good older model for a price comparable to a new iBook.

Nile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2002, 06:06 PM

I have just retired G4 powerbook and gone to 12" 800 iBook. As last person say, the screen resolution is the same on 12 or 14" iBook--but believe this or do not, I prefer the iBook screen even to the powerbook that I just sold to another. Ibook screen is much sharper and more colorful to me. I do the web designs and this is no compromise.
iBook 800/12.1" lcd/384mb/30gig/combo drive

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2002, 07:57 PM

u should go look at them yourself & see what you like. no point in buying something that ppl say is good then find out its not for you. every user has differenct preferences.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Nile:
I have just retired G4 powerbook and gone to 12" 800 iBook. As last person say, the screen resolution is the same on 12 or 14" iBook--but believe this or do not, I prefer the iBook screen even to the powerbook that I just sold to another. Ibook screen is much sharper and more colorful to me. I do the web designs and this is no compromise.
which model PB do u have? the screen sharpness on a 800 DVI or newer looks way sharper than the iBooks....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Nile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2002, 09:23 PM

Mine was 667 Powerbook that was to buy in last November. The PreDVI kind. I have not to use the new ones, so perhaps they have imporved.

It is true it comes to what a person prefers.
iBook 800/12.1" lcd/384mb/30gig/combo drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules