Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Jacked Jumpdrive?

Jacked Jumpdrive?
immsav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2003, 03:10 PM

After I screwed up my Jumpdrive (usb compact flash keychain) by unplugging it without ejecting it, I used Disk Utility to reformat the drive. Now it only works on Macs!

Does anyone know how I could fix my device so I can use it on Windows-based machines? I already tried using the Disk Utility to erase it to a format Windows can read, but that didn't work, either....

Thanks,

immsav

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2003, 04:58 PM

eeh... these things are usually platform-speific... mac OR pc NOT both (usually)

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

-Q-
Jul 7, 2003, 05:19 PM

You should be able to plug it into a PC and format it and still have the mac be able to read it.

And if you don't have easy access to a PC, just use one at CompUSA or something...

MoparSteve
Jul 7, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
eeh... these things are usually platform-speific... mac OR pc NOT both (usually)
I have a Lexar JumpDrive, and I use it to transfer files from my PC at work to my Mac at home all the time. Have you checked the manufacturers web site to see if they address reformatting, etc, the drive?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2003, 11:50 PM

The Mac can generally read PC formatted things, but the PC can't read Mac formatted things without special software. So you want to reformat it in DOS format. That should allow you to use it for both.

immsav  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 08:54 AM

No dice. I used Disk Utility to erase the disk to a clean MS-DOS partition, and I still can't use it on a Windows machine.

The Windows box recognizes the new hardware, and it even finds and installs the drivers, but the device doesn't appear in Windows Explorer.

Does anyone know of different way to access the device? (DOS prompt, maybe...?)

--immsav

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by immsav:

Does anyone know of different way to access the device? (DOS prompt, maybe...?)
Have you tried the disk manager? This is how I format disks in 2k and xp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules