Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > somehow, this is really sad

somehow, this is really sad
roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2008, 12:08 AM

microsoft renames vista to see if people like it

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2008, 02:47 PM

See, I'm pretty torn on this campaign. On one hand, Microsoft is right. Most people who hate Vista have either a) never used it, or b) had a bad first experience back when it was first released. In reality, the Vista of today is not a terrible OS, especially when compared to Windows 2K/XP.

On the other hand, these kinds of campaigns always have the potential to come back and kick you in the ass. Do you really want to be going around telling people "Yes, many people absolutely hate this product of ours. But don't worry, they're all dumb, and so are you if you agree." I could see them doing a similar thing with great success once Windows 7 comes out (assuming it doesn't suck, of course), but using the exact same product? Interesting...

One thing's for sure: Balmer is mad as hell about the Mac-PC ads, and he's getting ready to come out swinging. Things could get ugly... better go grab some popcorn.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

CrimsonRequiem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2008, 05:39 PM

I thought the whole thing was comical myself.

I do run windows vista on my gaming rig and so far haven't run into any problems of late, but when it first did come out driver issues were one of things that really frustrated.

I'm not in love with Windows or anything but they kind of force you into using it especially when games don't run on other OSs. >_>""

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2008, 08:01 PM

What this tells us is this:

The majority of M$ users are (in some way) morons.

M$ just put it officially out there.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 3, 2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
See, I'm pretty torn on this campaign. On one hand, Microsoft is right. Most people who hate Vista have either a) never used it, or b) had a bad first experience back when it was first released. In reality, the Vista of today is not a terrible OS, especially when compared to Windows 2K/XP.

On the other hand, these kinds of campaigns always have the potential to come back and kick you in the ass. Do you really want to be going around telling people "Yes, many people absolutely hate this product of ours. But don't worry, they're all dumb, and so are you if you agree." I could see them doing a similar thing with great success once Windows 7 comes out (assuming it doesn't suck, of course), but using the exact same product? Interesting...

One thing's for sure: Balmer is mad as hell about the Mac-PC ads, and he's getting ready to come out swinging. Things could get ugly... better go grab some popcorn.
Well I'm NOT dumb, and I still prefer XP to Vista. Not because I don't think the OS works, nor that I think it doesn't have some really great features. But I DO think that it was made WAY too complex, WAY too resource-intensive, and WAY too "different" from XP for it to be acceptable as "the next version" of Windows. It's clunky, it's hard to find a lot of controls and features, other controls are in extremely odd places, and on reasonable hardware it's still awfully slow at some things. It's a pain.

One of the things I've heard about Win7 is that it will be "lean" and only provide the essentials by default, plus other features as desired. This instead of Microsoft's typical "install everything by default, no matter what" install routine is a Great Step Forward for MS OS users.

And I think SB's problem is that, deep down, he knows that HIS company's actions made the Mac vs PC ads very accurate. Windows isn't terribly interesting to work with (on purpose-it's supposed to be something you "just use"), and it's largest client base is corporate, with a HUGE investment in boring stuff that generally takes an IT guy to configure-or worse, an IT department to run the OTHER stuff that makes certain features usable in the first place. Yep, Redmond built the boring, pudgy guy in the bad suit, and they did a darn fine job of it too!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules