Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Microsoft Base station

Microsoft Base station
immsav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2002, 08:08 PM

Does anyone have experience using this Microsoft wireless base station with Macs?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

I'm thinking about getting it for use with my new iBook.

Thanks,
Jacob

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 09:14 PM

From link:

� Easy-to-use Setup Wizard
Most routers on the market are configured through any web browser, which makes them, basically, platform indepenent. MS' "setup wizard" will probably only run on Win, so to answer your question, no, I don't think so.
Check out Asante's wireless options. They are fully pro-Mac and make great products. There are a bunch of other manufacturers as well.

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 11:37 PM

However, some (like SMC) have both a Setup Wizard (Windows-only) but can also be configured using a web browser. Personally, I'd avoid the MS product, but that's just me

I've installed several SMC Barricade wireless routers for my clients and have not had any problems.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 06:21 PM

The MS base station is fully configurable over a web interface. The software is just an SNMP interface for the card IIRC.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2003, 01:17 AM

No, this is not any better then any other router out there.

You should look at the Netgear MR814, it is incredible.

www.netgear.com

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2003, 11:01 AM

Another thought to keep in mind is that Microsoft has only just come out with this product line. Bugs crop up in brand new lines a lot more frequently than in established lines. I don't buy the first generation of just about any product, and I don't have time to help a company get the bugs out of what should be considered beta products (Microsoft's been like that). Go with Asante', SMC, Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc. You'll save yourself money and aggravation.

Now, once they've been on the market for a while, it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep your eyes on Microsoft's products. They make very good mice, and some amazing keyboards. I wouldn't put it past them to make their wireless products very good as well. (Of course that's their hardware division... )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules