Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > get ilife 06 to run on a g3

get ilife 06 to run on a g3
roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 01:04 PM

anyone out there know of a workaround to get ilife 06 to run on a ibook with a g3 processor?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 01:26 PM

iTunes and iPhoto already run.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2006, 01:28 PM

iLife '06 should work on a G3 iBook with Mac OS X v10.3.9 or 10.4.4, but not everything will work.

roosta  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
iLife '06 should work on a G3 iBook with Mac OS X v10.3.9 or 10.4.4, but not everything will work.

that's why i'm looking for a workaround, i'd like to put iweb and imovie on the spare ibook.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by roosta
that's why i'm looking for a workaround, i'd like to put iweb and imovie on the spare ibook.
I'm using iWeb on my PowerBook Pismo 500 Mhz and it works great! (slow but great)

Two ways for doing that.

One Way:

1) Go ahead and connect your PB to your more advance Mac with iLife 06 (example: G4 o G5) using a firewire cable.

2) Once connected, go to your Applications folder and drag iWeb to your applications Folder inside your PB. and that's it! enjoy.

Other Way:

1) instead of connecting your PB, use a Flash Memory Stick, an external drive or burn a CD to transfer iWeb. that's it. (just drag the application's icon to the media you will used.)
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
iDVD & Garageband require a G4 cpu, as does iMovie-HD, IIRC.........they are built at the core level to utilize the altivec subroutines for speeding up processing/conversions..........

iWeb should work though, and older versions of iMovie & iPhoto will too.....they'll just be kinda slow
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Unixweenie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 10:07 PM

Right click on the iLife 06 installer, choose "Show Contents," and navigate to the "Installers" folder. iWeb and iPhoto install fine using their individual installers, no copying over from other machines needed. Just installed them on an iBook G3 900MHz.

Update:

This only works on 10.3.9 (which is what a G3 iBook should be running, imho). I tried it on my G4 powerbook, 10.4.7, and it would not install from the individual .mpkg files in the Installer folder.
( Last edited by Unixweenie; Aug 4, 2006 at 10:29 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules