Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PowerBook or 800/900Mhz iBook?

12" PowerBook or 800/900Mhz iBook?
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2003, 02:18 PM

Well, well ,well...for those of you who haven't wondered into the Marketplace Forums, you should probably know I'm selling my 17" PowerBook *gasps*. It's a mighty hard thing to do, as I adore this machine, but when I head off to college I seriously need a tower setup 24/7 in my room along w/ a portable to take to classes and such, and selling the 17" PB will give me enough cash to get a tower & a smaller notebook computer.

SO, here's my situation: Should I get the 12" G4 PowerBook or the 800/900Mhz iBook?

For the basic tasks I'll be using it for (strictly Word Processing, Spreadsheets, the whole Office suite, web surfing, email, chat, taking notes, listening to music, watching the very occasional DVD, burning CD's, etc.), which would be my best option? I wouldn't be using this machine to GAME with *at all* so the graphics processing power for 3D games has no bearing. Obviously I'd get 640MB RAM and AirPort for either machine, but I basically need to be convinced that either the 12" PowerBook is good enough to warrant the extra cash for the needs I have, or convinced that the 800/900Mhz iBook will do my jobs just fine and save me cash.

Also, is there a huge difference between the 800/900Mhz iBooks as far as system specs (like system bus, RAM speeds, and other stuff) and actual real-world performance?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2003, 02:32 PM

If you are not gaming, I would consider getting an iBook from the LAST generation of iBooks, an 800 with a combo drive. I have a 700, and to do the things you are describing, it's more than enough. I enough play a little Ghost Recon on it. Also, note that my 700 only has 16MB VRAM, whereas the 800 would have 32MB.

I'd say you can't go wrong with an older refurbished iBook. Just make sure it has some sort of warrenty still, lots of display problems seem to be creeping up, my more little iBook is going out for service tommorow, but other than that i have loved it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2003, 02:43 PM

If you can wait until July, you might be able to get yourself a 12-inch PowerBook with a 1-gigahertz processor and an updated video chipset. If you can't wait, the current 12-inch PowerBook is still your best bet. It supports AirPort Extreme, and thus you will still be able to take advantage of your 802.11g-enabled Linksys router. The 12-inch PowerBook is equipped with the same connectivity features that your 17-inch PowerBook has. Its internal Bluetooth support will be handy for connecting to your Tungsten handheld. Make sure to take into consideration that the iBook requires a $50 Bluetooth adapter. For $1,599, the 12-inch PowerBook is hard to beat.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2003, 03:11 PM

I'm going through the same decision process right now. I had settled on the iBook 900, but now that the 12" PowerBook have also dropped down again, I have to give it another thought. I can get one from my school for 1,399 versus an iBook 900 for 1,199. Also, I'm waiting till after WWDC in case there are newer models. The only thing keeping me from getting a 12" PowerBook now are the heat related issues so I'll be waiting for a 2nd revision 12" pb.

mcs37
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hey AssassyN, don't forget that if you wait until you get to school, you can get the 12" PowerBook for a mere $1,399, so $1500 with AE. By that time it should have a 1 GHz G4 (unlikely that it will sport a PPC970, but who knows!), perhaps 1 GB RAM, and Panther all ready to go. Who knows, maybe they'll make AE built-in and throw in 1 MB of L3 cache and keyboard backlighting.

I'd just wait till the end of the summer. But don't forget your college gets an additional $200 off the store price!

Apple Store for Cornell: http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We....1.1.1.0.0.1.0

I'm waiting till the WWDC is announced. Although I may have saved myself some cash, since I am getting a free Tablet PC for my entire senior year to use. It would suck to have to use Windows, but that's still a lot of money saved.

Cheers,

Mike

donutogre
Jun 5, 2003, 04:33 PM

i would second the idea of waiting till you get to school to purchase your laptop (and the tower, for that matter). i got my 12" PB for only 1579, and that price included the airport extreme card and the 3 year applecare warrenty.

man i can't believe you're losing the 17"....that thing was like a child to you as far as what to buy, i'm giving a strong recommendation to the 12" PB. if you wait longer, hopefully you can get it at 1GHZ and you won't experience much of a performance drop from what you're used to. the 867 g4 w/the stock 256mb of ram seems kinda pokey to me compared to my desktop (2gh p4 w/512 ram). so if you wait maybe you'll get a faster computer, and if you max the ram you should be good.

just out of curiousity, what kind of tower are yo ugetting? mac or pc? and are you keeping that magnificent 23" monitor?
~nate

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2003, 06:07 PM

The second-quarter employee promotion prices have been reduced in accordance with Apple's recent public price cuts. The 12-inch PowerBook is now only $1,243. The 1-gigahertz, 15-inch PowerBook is now $2,135.

Something is definitely up.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2003, 09:44 PM

Wow sean, that's extremely interesting that you point that out! That's an INSANE deal on both machines, and escp. on the 12" PB in my case. Here's the deal, the iBook idea has been scratched simply because I want the power of the G4 (escp. w/ Panther coming up) and that my 17" PB sale will net enough to afford a PowerBook w/ these massive price drops. In all honesty, I have no need for a notebook until August, thus waiting until July shouldn't be a problem, except one tiny fact that I may get over...

July 8th my family has a week long trip planned to NYC for a week, and it would be AWESOME to have a Mac notebook to take with me, which is the only thing pressing me to purchase now...however, if new machines were unviled on June 25th, I'll bet it'll be like the day the 900Mhz iBook's were announced, and they'll be ready for immediate shipment. So if I order a Rev. B 12" PB on June 25th, I'd have it by July 8th anyway...of course having a notebook on that vacation wouldn't be a complete necessity, however, it'd be quite nice...ahhhh decisions!

As for the tower, I'm in need of a small (literally) PC to sit in my dorm room so I'll have a machine there & ready at all times. I'm building a Athlon XP powered Shuttle box (SN41G2, in black) with a Athlon XP 2700+ CPU, 1gig of Crucial DDR RAM, 80gig Western Digital Special Edition 8MB cache HD, GeForce FX 5200 128MB w/ DVI-out, Samsung DVD-CD-RW Combo Drive (52x burn), and a 6-in-1 Media Card reader in place of a floppy...this machine will push my 23" HD Display (you knewww this wasn't leaving!) by using the PowerStrip program to push the 1920x1200 resolution. Total cost of the PC = $820

So it basically comes down to this...if somehow I can get my hands on an insane discount for the 12" PB (like the one you stated), I'm gonna jump on it most likely and pocket the cash. If not, I think I'm gonna hold my purchase until after June 25th to see if new hardware will be revealed...any opinions on that decision?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2003, 10:05 PM

Windows supports a resolution of 1,920 by 1,200 pixels natively. You won't need to use PowerStrip.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2003, 10:18 PM

SWEET DEAL!!!! Thanks for the heads-up sean!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

beefstu01
Jun 5, 2003, 10:40 PM

I'd wait a month or two, then get the powerbook 12". It'll probably last you longer. And you probably won't need this, but for anyone else going through an education store to get their laptops, make sure you stop by http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...dle_terms.html

$200 off any iPod with the purchase of a laptop, so you can grab the 10 gig'er for $69. Pretty decent!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2003, 12:54 AM

The PB keyboard alone is worth the money IMO.

I just sold all my 'use at home' Macs because they were just not getting any use any more since I've bought the PB. All except the iBook that is now busy being a music and streaming server in the living room.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 05:58 AM

I too have just got rid of my other 'home' Macs including a d867 tower, as they have just had no use since I got the 12" Powerbook... It is just too usable!

The G4 makes a big difference in OS X, the forkm factor and keyboard are stunning, AE and Bluetooth built in... I would say that it would be foolish to go for anything else.

If you could get one for around $1300 it would be a no brainer for me...

Peace,

Marc

(Actually, I'm going back to Law School in September, and as a result of this thread, have just seen the deals they do on Powerbooks and Powermacs here in the UK for students... Bloody hell, looks like there could be some new hardware for me too in the near future!)

lau_lau_lau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2003, 06:26 AM

the placid casual, do you mean the education store discounts? or have you got a secret source of even better discounts?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by lau_lau_lau:
the placid casual, do you mean the education store discounts? or have you got a secret source of even better discounts?
I was just reading the posts above about the Edu deals...

My search for top secret Powerbook deals continunes though!

djjava
Senior User
Jun 6, 2003, 08:23 AM

it breaks my heart, Assassyn (could be anyone, really) is selling the PB17.... have you gone mad?
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 09:03 AM

Mine too djjava...mine too...

But priority just took over & I really need 2 machines: a desktop and a smaller portable. I hate to be selling this beauty.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

marumari
Jun 6, 2003, 09:41 AM

So it basically comes down to this...if somehow I can get my hands on an insane discount for the 12" PB (like the one you stated), I'm gonna jump on it most likely and pocket the cash. If not, I think I'm gonna hold my purchase until after June 25th to see if new hardware will be revealed...any opinions on that decision?
I think you should just buy my Powerbook and save yourself the worrying - it's even cheaper than the student discount, and you don't have to pay tax. Seriously, though - as someone who has owned both an iBook 800MHz and the Powerbook 12" - I think they're both equally great machines for differing reasons. Whichever you pick, they're both among the best laptops you can buy. The keyboard, looks, and features of the Powerbook are obviously great, although the iBook runs quite a bit cooler, and seems to be a bit more durable.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2003, 10:15 AM

Check out eBay. Yesterday I saw a new 12" SD/256/40 and extra battery go for $1,300! There are definitely some deals to be had. These 12"s are not retaining value very well.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm pretty much settled on a 12" PowerBook...I just think going from a notebook w/ a 1Ghz G4 to a notebook w/ a G3 will seem way too slow, and with the recent 12" PB price drops, it makes it even more a no-brainer for the 12" PB.

And I'll be scouring eBay for some great package deals...love eBay
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

djjava
Senior User
Jun 6, 2003, 03:26 PM

Mine too djjava...mine too...
think about all the heads that will turn when you lay your 17" PB on the table.

say it ain't so.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
think about all the heads that will turn when you lay your 17" PB on the table.

say it ain't so.
Stoppppppp

LoL, yeah it's a tragedy, but I'm sure people will look funny at the 12" PB as well, just not *as* funny, lol.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

djjava
Senior User
Jun 6, 2003, 04:15 PM

Stoppppppp

LoL, yeah it's a tragedy, but I'm sure people will look funny at the 12" PB as well, just not *as* funny, lol.
They will be saying, "Yo..."

You'll say, "Yao-book"

They will say, "Yo..."

You'll say, "Yao-book"

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 11:48 PM

Hehe, yep yep!!

And just an update for everyone...tonight I struck a deal w/ a fellow MacNN member, "macnnhelpme", who sold his 12" PowerBook to me!!! We landed on a deal we were both very happy with, and I'm stoked to have it coming! This is exactly what I need for college, something powerful & portable all at the same time.

As of the time of purchase, it's a bone stock 12" PowerBook w/ Combo Drive (as much of a bragging right the SuperDrive is, I simply never had the first plan of using my 17" PB's SuperDrive, and so I have no really need to burn an extra $200 on it), but I've already ordered a 512MB DIMM to max out the RAM, an AirPort Extreme Card (it was an Open-Box item from MacMall.com for only $66!! When I ordered mine, however, only 32 remained...), and extra 12" PB battery, a MacCase sleeve, a custom Black/Silver/Black Timbuk2 case, and since it's got the 40gig HD, and I saved so much, I went ahead and got the OWC Mercury (coolest looking to me) FireWire/USB 80gig External HD as well. Also, all of my PC parts will ship out Monday so hopefully that'll be built by next week sometime!

The only thing is, the guy I bought the 12" PB from hadta leave tonight on a week-long trip, so I'll hafta wait another week for it to ship, but that just gives all my accessories time to arrive.

I wanted to wait until the probable June 25th updates, but if I did, I'd have no cash leftover for all these accessories that I wanted, and the current 12" PB will do all the things I'll possible need a true portable to do; the rest my desktop machine will handle.

So in about 2 weeks I'll be the proud owner of a 12" PB! So I sold the 17" PB, but I'm not leaving the Aluminum PowerBook family!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2003, 03:39 AM

Congrats! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with the 12" PowerBook. I firmly believe its the best AlBook you can get.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2003, 05:40 AM

Congrats! I think you made a wise, practical decision. I am doing the same thing you are planning, running a $600 2.4 Dell PC desktop with dual LCD's with a LAN to my 12". Loving the versatility, being able to run everything with both platforms and having everything networked so that I can get movies from kazaa and then transfer everything to the YAO-book for a portable movie studio. The 12" has totally changed the way I use my laptop, it actually gets USED now, as opposed to when I had the 15". Although the 15" Ti is sweet, I was always too worried bringing it around and the size really made me think twice about bringing it (I can only imagine what you 17" people are dealing with). Now with the 12" I could bring it to class everyday and not have to use a larger bag or even worry about its durability or the added weight. I think you will enjoy that. Oh, and the heat issue seems a bit exaggerated to me, but what do I know I am coming from the rev. b Ti 667, aka BTU beast.

Enjoy!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2003, 06:26 AM

I'm really very amazed how many people here on macnn are promoting this scheme with a Mac notebook and a some cheap PC as a desktop.

I find it kind of scarry, because if this becomes a trend Apple is going to have a hard time to survive. Of course their protables compete much better with PCs than their desktops (at least until we get a 970), but I hope Steve doesn't believe Apple can survive as a portable company that - by chance - also sells a niche alternative OS...

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by jetta_gt:
If you are not gaming
and if you are, why are you getting a PowerBook?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2003, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the responses guys! I think I'll love the 12" PB as well...it'll just be a smaller 17" PB in my eyes.

And to Simon, nah, Apple shouldn't worry about that...until Apple released the Aluminum PowerBooks (and OS X of course) I would have NEVER used a Mac, period. So if they wouldn't have came out, I would not only have a PC Desktop, but a PC notebook as well. So, when you look at it that way, Apple stole Dell's business by getting me to buy a laptop from THEM instead of some PC maker...and you'd be utterly shocked how many people are "switchers" solely based on the AlBooks.

Plus, whenever 970-based PowerMacs surface, if they're priced reasonably, they'll take off just like the AlBooks have. I know for sure I'll be *trying* to get one sometime next year as a Rev. B or C model if they're anything like they should be.

And just a quick note on a few accessories I ordered...I ordered a silver MacCase Sleeve from www.macyummies.com for $29 at 4:12 CST yesterday (Friday). Their cut-off time is 5:00pm CST. Last night I received a notice that my item had SHIPPED! AND, I ordered a 80gig OWC Mercury FireWire/USB hard drive from www.macsales.com at 4:30pm CST, and their cut-off time is 5:00pm CST too, and sure enough, last night I was notified it had shipped. WHOA! I just wanted to post those two vendors and HIGHLY recommend them! Shipping my items on a Friday evening ~30 minutes before closing...impressive!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2003, 10:28 AM

AssassyN, btw, what do you need two iPods for? Just out of curiousity...

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2003, 10:48 AM

Hehe, well, I bought the 2nd gen. 10gig about 2 weeks before the new style was coming out b/c I loved the old style and got a nice deal at a Target closeout. Well, Dell had some insane deal on the 15/30gig iPods for a one-day sale awhile back, and I couldn't resist. So I got the 15gig, and now I've simply given my month-old 2nd gen. iPod to my wonderful girlfriend just 'cause I love her to death.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

titania28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2003, 08:05 PM

I can't wait to hear how you like the 12" PB! I have a 17"er myself and am starting to think that it's a tad too big. Since my primary reason for getting a laptop was to be able to take it to school, I have to admit getting the 17" wasn't the greatest idea in the world.

I told my mom today that I was thinking of selling my 17" and her first words were, "You better not!" So, well see how it goes.

We expect a review on the 12"!!

Titania

marumari
Jun 9, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by titania28:
I can't wait to hear how you like the 12" PB! I have a 17"er myself and am starting to think that it's a tad too big. Since my primary reason for getting a laptop was to be able to take it to school, I have to admit getting the 17" wasn't the greatest idea in the world.
Wow, I'm impressed. Hauling around a 17" Powerbook to class, let alone fitting them on a desk. At my school, we can barely fit a paper notebook on our desks.

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2003, 09:38 PM

Hey Assassyn, sorry to hear about the sale of the 17". I think your choice has made me realize a 12" would be a better fit for school for me next year too :] I already have a desktop to keep in my dorm too.
I'm curious why you didn't want to get the 12" from your school's edu store. I know you used your ADC discount already. From what I can see, you'd save at least $100 on the computer buying it with edu discount.
Anyway, best of luck with the Yao-book =) You are one die-hard Apple fan. I expect to see some pics soon!

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 10:21 PM

Hey guys! Thanks for the comments, and I too agree that the 12" PB is just better suited for school purposes.

And I didn't use my school's (terribly lame) Edu. discount b/c I got the 12" PB from a fellow MacNN board member selling his barely used machine for a great price, so it walked all over any discount, even refurb. prices.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Kenstee:
Check out eBay. Yesterday I saw a new 12" SD/256/40 and extra battery go for $1,300! There are definitely some deals to be had. These 12"s are not retaining value very well.
If you believe that that was a genuine auction then you're a total muppet who deserves to be ripped off.
The 12" are retaining their value, like all PBs, brilliantly.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 11:42 PM

I'd say the 12" PBs aren't holding their values quite as well as the 15" TiBooks & espc. the 17" PBs, but they're nothing to sneeze at either.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules