Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Firmware patch for the Matshita UJ-815 drive!!!!

Firmware patch for the Matshita UJ-815 drive!!!!
gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 09:18 PM

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

I have a TiBook with the UJ-815 drive. No A, B... Device Revision D0C4.

Will this work on my machine?

G
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 09:32 PM

OK! Did the foolish thing and took a chance with this thing.

Works as advised! 2x DVD-R option! 16x CD-R!

From System Profiler:

CD-RW/DVD-R

Device Revision - D101
Product Identification - DVD-R UJ-815A
Vendor Identification - MATSHITA
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

ulmer
Aug 12, 2003, 09:42 PM

I tried it too and burned a CD in iTunes at 16X! Haven't tried DVD-R or RW but it spit out the DVD-RAM 4.7G I tried. :-(

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 12, 2003, 09:53 PM

Hmmm... D101 firmware. (Apple's are D0C4, D0CB, and DWDB.)

One guy had problems with a 3rd party drive that came with I believe D101. Be careful, and YMMV.

And note, this is NOT an RPC-1 firmware. But if if works as advertised, it's a definite improvement. I wonder if somebody just swapped the D101 firmware into the leaked D0CB updater.

By the way, check out The Firmware Page's forum thread about the D101 updater.

Good luck!

Eug

P.S. I wonder if the reverse downgrade to D0CB is possible.

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 09:56 PM

Can you go back to D0CB if D101 is making your machine run too hot? i don't want to install it unless i can be sure to go back? any ideas?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by melman101:
Can you go back to D0CB if D101 is making your machine run too hot? i don't want to install it unless i can be sure to go back? any ideas?
One guy sidegraded his D0CB to D0CB. And I know people changed their DWDB firmwares to D0CB. (Is that an upgrade or downgrade, in terms of revision numbers?)

Dunno about D101 though.

I think I may hold off until Panther arrives or somebody with the beta tries it though. Panther is gonna open up another can of compatibility worms.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Aug 12, 2003 at 10:20 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Hmmm... D101 firmware. (Apple's are D0C4, D0CB, and DWDB.)

One guy had problems with a 3rd party drive that came with I believe D101. Be careful, and YMMV.
Nope, I was mistaken. It was D100 that he had.

See this post.

EDIT:

I've slapped together the various MKE815DDCB files from the updater packages:

All have the same name, assuming I've got the right file in the package. Maybe downgrades from D101 MKE815DDCB to D0CB MKE815DDCB may not be an issue, since some posters have said their sidegrades of D0CB to D0CB work fine.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Aug 12, 2003 at 11:17 PM. )

alby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2003, 05:38 AM

I read this post today at work and couldnt wait to get home and try the Firmware updater.
On downloading the updater i was seriously comtemplating wether to use it or not.Im glad I did cause it works great and arent i estatic javascript:smilie(''),2x DVD-R.Thanks Cynikal for all the hard work you done and for releasing this to the Mac community

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2003, 06:53 AM

This is GREAT news. I'll wait for a few more guinea pigs to do their thing, but this sounds like exactly what I've been waiting for. Happy to hear that CDR/W will also be faster.

Does this mean that DVD-RW will work as normal, then?

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 13, 2003, 07:00 AM

does it enable DVD-RW?
For 15" and 12"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2003, 09:54 AM

So has anyone tried a downgrade yet? (D101 -> D0CB)

----

EDIT

----

It seems you can't go back:
Thanks for the info Eug. The reason they're named the same is because the bundle is set to the name of the flasher binary. The firmware is actually embedded in it. And it is the same size through, the contents are of course different.

As for down-grading your firmware. I've had a number of people email me. I thought the dantz firmware, which is supported by apple, would allow this. But it turns out they used the same updater software that i modified. And when you try to run it after your drive has been upgraded, I get the error that says 'You do not need to use this software'.

I suspect it's because it detects a newer version of firmware. There may be a way to crack it, to make it by-pass the check, but right now I don't want to mess with this just yet.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 13, 2003 at 10:00 AM. )

n_lim
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2003, 07:47 PM

Can we get a count of how many with each model have successfully patched the firmware? I have a 12" Super and would love to increase the speeds of at least the cd-r/w (haven't had a chance to use the superdrive yet), but I am of course a bit timid about doing such a major patch.

Would love to hear from another Little Al owner who has patched successfully.

EDIT: okay, so after reading through all the firmware forum posts I feel pretty confident that it would work on my 12". I have d/l'ed it but I am going to sit on it for awhile before doing it. No sense in rushing it if I don't have any cd's to burn. Plus compatibility with Panther worries me.
( Last edited by n_lim; Aug 13, 2003 at 08:04 PM. )
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

bacchus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2003, 09:41 PM

I did it to my 12" last night and burnt 2 dvds and 3 cds. DVD's went off without a hitch @ 2x, and 16x CD burning as well.
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

jasong
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 10:07 PM

Add me to the list of happy customers. I just updated my 15" TiBook and successfully burned a CD at 16x in iTunes.

-- Jason

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 11:02 PM

GREAT!!
As i post this, i'm happily burning at 16X in the background with Toast

cynikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2003, 11:34 PM

Glad it worked for you guys

For the people who were wondering, I've came up with a way to allow the original installer to run on the updated drive, so that you can actually put your firmware back to what it was (if you have a 12"/15" powerbook, on a 17" it'll really be a downgrade because the 17" firmware isn't available at this time).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by cynikal:
Glad it worked for you guys

For the people who were wondering, I've came up with a way to allow the original installer to run on the updated drive, so that you can actually put your firmware back to what it was (if you have a 12"/15" powerbook, on a 17" it'll really be a downgrade because the 17" firmware isn't available at this time).
Cool! Linky? NE1 try it yet?

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 12:17 AM

I ran the upgrade on my 12" Powerbook and it has yet to explode or emit strange noises or smells. I burned a CD with Toast at 16x right after rebooting and everything seemed to go fine. I don't want to waste a DVD-R quite yet to test the DVD burning but I can say the CD burning works dine. I don't have any DVD-RWs to test with either unfortunately. I was glad to see with Toast I was given the option to burn at 10x, 12x, and 16x in addition to the speeds I already had available. I didn't notice my Powerbook running too much hotter while burning the CD which was only 340MB and only took about two minutes. Maybe if I'd been burning several CDs I might have noticed but so far everything is hunky dory.

cynikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2003, 02:46 AM

Cool! Linky? NE1 try it yet?
Heh, you still need to ask?

How can i make it any simpler to remember

Now all i have left to do is make it RPC1 also

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2003, 04:52 AM

Great work, Cynika!

Thought I should mention that you've listed the 17" machines firmware incorrectly on the page below:

"PLEASE NOTE that if you have the 17" powerbook, you will NOT have the ORIGINAL firmware, DWB8, as this firmwware is not available yet. If you find this firmware version, please let me know."

and:

"A lot of people believe this limitation is only in firmware, after all, the 17" PB can burn CD-R's at a max speed of 16x and has a different firmware version (DWCB) than the 12/15" powerbooks (D0C8/D0C4), which only burn CD-R's up to 8x."

Both should read DWDB unless I'm mistaken.

Might be a good idea to change it to save confusion (and other emails about this).

Ben

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2003, 09:20 AM

Yeah, I realized later after I posted it.

Anyways, just some nitpicks about a few points on your website:

No one seems to be able to. I am starting to suspect Mac OS X doesn't support DVD-RAM itself. Toast says it's a DVD-RAM drive after the update (it didn't before). But then again, before the update it said it was a DVD-RW/CD-RW drive. Maybe Toast knows something we don't about which functionality is missing?
Actually OS X has native support for DVD-RAM (incl. the 4.7 GB variety), with both HFS+ and FAT32. I use it all the time with another drive (Panasonic LF-D521U) in a Firewire enclosure.

I'm guessing that these drive mechanisms simply may not have proper DVD-RAM support, because I've used DVD-RAM before in situations where one would expect them not to work, and as I said, OS X already supports DVD-RAM. eg. I once took a Toshiba DVD-RAM capable reader and plugged it into a DVD player. I thin burned a DVD-Video disc in standard DVD format, except on a DVD-RAM disc. The DVD player played that DVD fine.

And as all2ofme suggested, the usual firmwares are as follows:

17": DWDB (with the demo at Macworld being D0C7)
15": D0C4 or D0CB
12": D0CB

One important about the DWDB firmware is that it supports DVD-RW and 16X CD-R. (It doesn't support 2X DVD-R however.) Personally, if I had the 17", I would NOT update to D101 because DWDB has almost the same functionality and no downgrade path.

graphics84
Senior User
Aug 14, 2003, 10:33 AM

just curious...

it seems Apple would want the highest specks possible. Why wouldn't they release these as an update them selves?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by graphics84:
just curious...

it seems Apple would want the highest specks possible. Why wouldn't they release these as an update them selves?
I will wonder if Apple feels that there isn't sufficient reliability in these drives to burn DVD-R consistently at 2X.

Indeed, back in the days of the CD-R infancy, I would not burn CD-Rs at max speed with some drives because they were simply unreliable at max speed, even with good media.

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 12:54 PM

Think about this for a second as a possible answer as why Apple hasn't released it.

Apple doesnt want to release the firmware for these powerbook, because then if they released a new Powerbook, then they can be like "New 2x DVD Write!, 16x CD-R Write, and DVD-RW support!", while still using the same components if they wanted to.

Anyway, reason why I was posting was cause I did the update, and successfully burned onto a CD at 16x! It worked without a hitch, and it was an audio cd and it sounded perfect. Thank you cynikal!

Now to try a DVD-R / DVD-RW....

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 02:32 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=172351

Check out that thread. Someone claims to have a PB 867 shipped June 25th that has BB21 firmware in an 815A drive that is capable of 24x CD-R....

Now we can set our sights on this beast perhaps?

Keep up the outstanding work... the patch worked like a charm on my TiSD.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

longday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2003, 07:09 PM

I'm so pleased with cynikal. Thank you man, you rock.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 09:51 PM

I tried to burn a 22 minute dvd using disk copy. On the 2x setting it burned in 22 minutes. On the 1x setting it burned the DVD in 22 minutes. Are you guys reeally sure you are getting an actual speed increase?

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by buddy1065:
I tried to burn a 22 minute dvd using disk copy. On the 2x setting it burned in 22 minutes. On the 1x setting it burned the DVD in 22 minutes. Are you guys reeally sure you are getting an actual speed increase?
if the media is not capable of 2x speeds, the drive with throttle back to 1x. make sure that you are using media that can handle it, and try it again at 2x. i would try it, but i'm out of dvd-r's.

wg2499
Aug 15, 2003, 03:40 AM

I ran the updater on my 12" and I now have 16x burning, also it works in panther pre release 7b28 I only tried with finder but it worked just fine..
12" 867 PB 640 SD T68i REMOTE

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2003, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by EdipisReks:
if the media is not capable of 2x speeds, the drive with throttle back to 1x. make sure that you are using media that can handle it, and try it again at 2x. i would try it, but i'm out of dvd-r's.
Yeah, what he said. What media?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2003, 07:05 AM

Is there any reason to expect that Panther won't work the same way as Jaguar with disc burning? I don't see why it would make sense to change something that is already in place and working.

Nothing stopped working from DOC4 to DOCB to DWDB, did it?

Originally posted by wg2499:
I ran the updater on my 12" and I now have 16x burning, also it works in panther pre release 7b28 I only tried with finder but it worked just fine..

threestain
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 07:17 AM

Has anyone experienced any side effects of using this update yet? I'm dying to get it, and will when I can, but as my baby is still quite young (4 months ish) I'm a bit wary!

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2003, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by threestain:
Has anyone experienced any side effects of using this update yet? I'm dying to get it, and will when I can, but as my baby is still quite young (4 months ish) I'm a bit wary!
Some of the side effects you may experience are faster CD-R speeds (16x), faster DVD-R speeds (2x) the ability to use DVD-RW, mild headache, nausea, vomiting and irritable bowls.

Other than that what are you waiting for? It work without a hitch!

DO IT!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2003, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
Other than that what are you waiting for? It work without a hitch!

DO IT!

I for one am waiting for several things:

1. Final confirmation that the downgrade really works and is re-upgradeable (in case the machine goes in for repair)

2. More info on this mysterious BB71 firmware. If machines are being shipped with that, it stands to reason that Apple may make the firmware available via Software Update.

-s*

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

1. Final confirmation that the downgrade really works and is re-upgradeable (in case the machine goes in for repair)

2. More info on this mysterious BB71 firmware. If machines are being shipped with that, it stands to reason that Apple may make the firmware available via Software Update.

-s*
Hehe... you'll notice over in the "Your powerbook burning speeds" thread it was a goof...

My moronic a** failed to realize the guy was talking about a combo drive, not an SD BB71 (though I could've sworn it was 21) was the new firmware for the most recent revision combo drive Ti's. Supports 24x CD-R, but obviously not DVD-R since it's a combo, heh.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

tritonus
Senior User
Aug 15, 2003, 11:49 AM

-s*
Same here. Especially if you have a 17" PowerBook. An official update supported by Apple makes me feel better.

edit: Whoa, missed juanpacolopez's post.
( Last edited by tritonus; Aug 15, 2003 at 12:02 PM. )
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2003, 03:10 PM

burned a dvd in little less then an hour
including verifying in 10.2.6

and in Panther with YuBurner at 16 speed
a cdr

I was reluctant too, but made sure nothing
could interrupt the upgrade like iCal, inter-
net, etc and I am happy I did!

Some people seem to wait coz they think
that somehow in Panther the drive will
burn faster without new FW, was my impression.
It is offcourse not so, not Panther or any OS
but a FW upgrade of the drive SW will make
it faster
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

gdiddy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2003, 03:26 PM

Well those of you that haven't used this firmware are missing out. Just burned a DVD-RW (Sony) for the first time and DAMN it feels good!

If you wait for Apple to release this you may be in for a long one... Been waiting for six months since I bought my TiBook to be able to do this.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 04:55 PM

I'm one of those TiSD owners whose drive never burns CDs above 4x. There was a thread about it but it seems to have trailed off with no resolution.. but it was the one that involved a SENSE KEY ERROR using toast, or Unknown Errors (followed by a really long number) in iTunes/Finder/Disk Copy. I sent the thing back to apple, who returned it saying they found nothing wrong and sent back a CD burned in iTunes. Thing is, they never recorded which burning speed they used.

Anyway, my question: has anybody here had that same problem and applied the patch with positive results?

thanks,
y.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 07:44 PM

are there any Alu17 inch owners that have done this?

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2003, 09:28 PM

The Memorex DVD blank says 2x compatable and only burns 1x. What brand is being used to burn 2x? I have a 17" by the way.

To a recent post; if you are using a CD-RW disk you can't expect 16x or even 8x; it can only burn up to 4x I think.

zacharie
Aug 16, 2003, 03:57 AM

Hello,
I have seen that DVD-R upgrades from MCE technologies offer 2xDVD-Ram, 2xDVD-R, 1xDVD-RW.
How the drives sold by them differ from our Apple Superdrives? Aren't they Matshita UJ815 like ours, simply with the optimized firmware?
In that sense, we could be optimistic on a new firmware developed by cynical with DVD-Ram capabilities...
Thanks for your thoughts.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2003, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by zacharie:
Hello,
I have seen that DVD-R upgrades from MCE technologies offer 2xDVD-Ram, 2xDVD-R, 1xDVD-RW.
How the drives sold by them differ from our Apple Superdrives? Aren't they Matshita UJ815 like ours, simply with the optimized firmware?
In that sense, we could be optimistic on a new firmware developed by cynical with DVD-Ram capabilities...
Thanks for your thoughts.
UJ-815B vs. UJ-815A.

Note that the Apple drives don't seem to support DVD-RAM at all, even with a new firmware. They DO support 2X DVD-R and 1X DVD-RW though.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 08:57 AM

Now I'm just hoping someone can get RPC-1 for the UJ-815.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
Hehe... you'll notice over in the "Your powerbook burning speeds" thread it was a goof...

My moronic a** failed to realize the guy was talking about a combo drive, not an SD BB71 (though I could've sworn it was 21) was the new firmware for the most recent revision combo drive Ti's. Supports 24x CD-R, but obviously not DVD-R since it's a combo, heh.
Well, that settled it for me.

Installed the update, burned at 16x, worked fine.

currently running a DVD through DVD2oneX; will try burning in about a half hour.

Edit: Hooray! 27 minutes for 2x certified Apple DVD-R.

Cynikal, you have my gratitude.

-s*
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Aug 16, 2003 at 11:01 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2003, 10:08 AM

UJ-815B vs. UJ-815A.

Note that the Apple drives don't seem to support DVD-RAM at all, even with a new firmware. They DO support 2X DVD-R and 1X DVD-RW though.
Well, since they do apparently support everything else in accord with the specs, it's likely that OS X just doesn't eat DVD-RAM?

-s*

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2003, 11:15 AM

Well, since they do apparently support everything else in accord with the specs, it's likely that OS X just doesn't eat DVD-RAM?

-s*
Except that doesn't explain why the PowerMacs that were sold with DVD-RAM drives (g4 dp450 and dp500) work fine with OS X and DVD-RAM.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
Except that doesn't explain why the PowerMacs that were sold with DVD-RAM drives (g4 dp450 and dp500) work fine with OS X and DVD-RAM.
Would have been too simple.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by buddy1065:
To a recent post; if you are using a CD-RW disk you can't expect 16x or even 8x; it can only burn up to 4x I think. [/B]
I'm assuming you were responding to my recent post. I've always used CD-R, not -RW, and have never been able to burn at better than 4x. I believe there is a thread about this somewhere and will look it up. Meantime, my question remains:

Has this firmware update fixed problems for people whose 1Ghz Ti SuperDrives can't burn CD-R at advertised speeds..

thanks
y.

pdovinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2003, 04:15 PM

Apple Time 1:12 PM Sat Aug 16, 2003

I just ran the firmware patch for the Matshita US-815 in PB 12" 867.

Results: PERFECT! Speeds achieved as stated.

It's an honor!!! Thanks.

pd

Forum Links
Forum Rules