Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Does iPod play while in dock?

Does iPod play while in dock?
gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2004, 11:40 PM

This is probably an elementary question to anyone that has an iPod, but I don't yet. Can you leave the iPod sitting in the dock and have it play regardless of whether the battery is charged, or charging. I want to get an iPod for my store to use as a jukebox but I don't want to have to charge it every day or worry about the battery running out. I just want it to sit there and play without any interaction.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 12:11 AM

if you plug your ipod into your computer itunes will start to sync. when itunes and your mac is using the ipod you can not use it. if you plug your ipod into the firewire charger into your wall outlet and plug speakers into the line out you can use your ipod.

make sense?

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2004, 07:57 AM

If you put the iPod in the dock it will be automatically mounted but if you then eject it you can use it as you wish whilst it charges from the computer.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 20, 2004, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by gunnar:
This is probably an elementary question to anyone that has an iPod, but I don't yet. Can you leave the iPod sitting in the dock and have it play regardless of whether the battery is charged, or charging. I want to get an iPod for my store to use as a jukebox but I don't want to have to charge it every day or worry about the battery running out. I just want it to sit there and play without any interaction.
yes, you can.

-r.

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2004, 10:29 AM

the dock won't be connected to the computer at all. i was hoping to get some kind of a/c firewire adapter. do those exist?

AlphaQuam
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 11:03 AM

comes with the ipod. you can do exactly what you are asking. also, the dock provides a mini-plug line out, in case you didn't know.

talisker
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 06:55 PM

My dock is permanently attached to my stereo, and plugged into the power adaptor. I just leave the ipod in it whenever it's at home, and voila, fully charged and ready to play. I bought a separate ipod-firewire cable for when I sync it with iTunes on my ibook so I don't have to get behind the furniture and unplug the dock cable.

Btw, I've only had it the ipod for about 3 months, and use it 99% of the time through the stereo, and it's true that it revolutionises how you listen to music. Either listen to albums as normal, or use smart playlists to listen to songs you haven't heard in a while, music you've recently uploaded, or just play everything in your collection randomnly.

todrain
Senior User
May 23, 2004, 11:14 AM

When the iPod came out, I didn't think much of it, but after owning one, I have to agree with others on the board... it's amazing what it does for you!

I use the dock with my desktop setup here, but I have a cable to plug into my stereo in the other room.

To answer your question, though, you can plug in the firewire cable to the included AC adaptor, and plug your stereo or headphones directly into the dock and use the iPod while it is charging.

Forum Links
Forum Rules