Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ANN: X-Metal 1.0 released

ANN: X-Metal 1.0 released (Page 2)
Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 07:18 AM

is there a way to just have some of the icons, or to extract them from the icontainer or download them via folder?
I like some of them, but I'd hate to have to go through and delete which ones I want and re-add older icons that I wish to keep vs just picking which new icons I want and just using them.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 07:30 AM

Randman, do a search for Pixadex, It's like iTunes for icons, and to me it's more useful than CandyBar.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 07:34 AM

I've seen it but I never tried it out figuring it was similar to Candybar. Thanks.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by cube3:
People forget that themers do this kind of stuff on their own time, and for free. Frankly some of the posts in this forum astound me, and I am slowly learning to not take it personally.
As with anything you present to the public, you are going to get varied responses. I just hope criticism doesn't discourage themers from doing their thing and sharing with us their hard work.

I don't know what it is in this forum, but some of these people are never happy, yet I don't see them producing themes.
Are people who don't create themes (let's face it, it's a daunting process given the number of resources that need to be replaced) not allowed to express their opinions?

Personally, I'm very anal when it comes to stuff like this and could easily find fault with any theme that has come out. I usually just don't post, simply because I know themes take a long time to make, and they didn't have to make it. I know if it was my theme, I certainly wouldn't want to read bad comments about it. However, I did decide to post with this theme simply because I feel it could be very good if some things were tightened up. I tried to point out things that I think need to be changed for this to be a really great theme, rather than just posting "It sucks" or "I don't like it".

It's his theme, though, and if he feels like this is how he wants it then I hope he just ignores me or at least tries not to take what I've said too personally.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by olorin15:
Jeez, what were you guys expecting it to be???
I guess I was expecting it to look like Metal, not the shiny plastic it looks like.

It IS a great looking theme, IF you like that sort of theme, it's just not what many folks were *thinking* it would look like. That doesn't make it bad, it just makes it disappointing to those who were looking for something different.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by justinp:
As with anything you present to the public, you are going to get varied responses. I just hope criticism doesn't discourage themers from doing their thing and sharing with us their hard work.

Are people who don't create themes (let's face it, it's a daunting process given the number of resources that need to be replaced) not allowed to express their opinions?

Personally, I'm very anal when it comes to stuff like this and could easily find fault with any theme that has come out. I usually just don't post, simply because I know themes take a long time to make, and they didn't have to make it. I know if it was my theme, I certainly wouldn't want to read bad comments about it. However, I did decide to post with this theme simply because I feel it could be very good if some things were tightened up. I tried to point out things that I think need to be changed for this to be a really great theme, rather than just posting "It sucks" or "I don't like it".

It's his theme, though, and if he feels like this is how he wants it then I hope he just ignores me or at least tries not to take what I've said too personally.
Unless you've created a theme you have minimal understanding of the boundaries that are imposed on us by the software/os we use. Quite often we get critted for something that is beyond our control. Some People speak absolute ******** about some themes, it's not even bad critting it's blatant lies and rubbish. I have no problem with genuine criticism, but how much of this is a workable crit, it's bollox.

Personally I am very anal about stuff like this too, I am so anal in fact, that I go and make my own themes. I build the exact theme I want to use, with the icons I want to see, then I release it in case someone else wants to use it. If you don't like it, don't use it, I am not going to change something I have designed for me. People are however welcome to take my themes use them as stock or customise any widget themselves so that it suits them.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
I guess I was expecting it to look like Metal, not the shiny plastic it looks like.

It IS a great looking theme, IF you like that sort of theme, it's just not what many folks were *thinking* it would look like. That doesn't make it bad, it just makes it disappointing to those who were looking for something different.
It looks like the case of my powerbook, which is what was promised from the very beginning ... maybe you folks need to pay more attention to the description, and stop making assumptions on your own?
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I've seen it but I never tried it out figuring it was similar to Candybar. Thanks.
The information on www.iconfactory.com was not enough ? I'm amazed
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

dj forge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 07:35 PM

well, I LOVE this theme and I'll probably be using it for quite some time

http://www.dijitalphonics.com/images/desktop3.jpg
DJForge.com

Powerbook 15"
1.5 Ghz
1 GB RAM

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 08:22 PM

Unless you've created a theme you have minimal understanding of the boundaries that are imposed on us by the software/os we use. Quite often we get critted for something that is beyond our control. Some People speak absolute ******** about some themes, it's not even bad critting it's blatant lies and rubbish. I have no problem with genuine criticism, but how much of this is a workable crit, it's bollox.
X-Metal is not a "boundry pushing theme." its one of the most basic themes you can possibly make. so you're saying the out-of-control gradients, the fact that it doesnt eve LOOK like metal is totally out of control of the artist's hands? now thats crap. the fact that it looks like iStyle with a chromo filter applied to it isn't the artist's fault? X-Metal looks like gray plastic, not "metal."

that and the fact that it took roughly 3 months for this theme to come out when its practically iStyle gray is pretty sad in its own right.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 08:24 PM

dp

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
X-Metal is not a "boundry pushing theme." its one of the most basic themes you can possibly make. so you're saying the out-of-control gradients, the fact that it doesnt eve LOOK like metal is totally out of control of the artist's hands? now thats crap. the fact that it looks like iStyle with a chromo filter applied to it isn't the artist's fault? X-Metal looks like gray plastic, not "metal."

that and the fact that it took roughly 3 months for this theme to come out when its practically iStyle gray is pretty sad in its own right.
Maybe you're looking at the wrong theme, because I have an a 12 inch powerbook in front of me, and the anodized aluminium looks identical to the window fill. The menubar and window buttons look like chrome to me, which OMG, is metal :o *shock horror*. His gradients are perfect, nothing about the theme smacks of bad execution.

I quote from his site "News Update for Tuesday 3/16/2004 : No, it's not X-Metal. It is a mod of and a companion to X-Metal called iStyle. iStyle was originally planned to be previewed and released after X-Metal." You want me to highlight some obvious crap there?

I can only laugh at the 3 month bitch, it's ****ing ludicrous. I have been here for 6 months, in that time he has released Aqua Pro, iStyle and X-Metal. For the life of me, I can't recall one theme from you in that time?

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 10:12 PM

I wrote a big long rant but thought better of it and deleted it.

I'll just say that I find some of the behavior in this thread disgusting and leave it at that.
DigitalRamen sucks.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by wibs:
I wrote a big long rant but thought better of it and deleted it.

I'll just say that I find some of the behavior in this thread disgusting and leave it at that.
I think too many people here have not gotten over their teen years ... what can you do.
come at you rapidly

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 10:39 PM

X-Metal is not a "boundry pushing theme." its one of the most basic themes you can possibly make.
fireside, i think your big brain may just be starting to push the boundaries of your small head

Don't like it? Don't use it. Keep those childish insults to yourself, please.
come at you rapidly

quandarry
Jun 30, 2004, 11:47 PM

great theme! excellent craftsmanship.

fireside...seek counselling, your anger at everything is not healthy.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 11:56 PM

i love the "oh you don't like it so you must be one angry child." mantra of you quandarry: just because i have good tastes and when i see something that i don't like, i tell you i don't like it. i don't believe in the crap that "oh well you don't like it thats nice just shutup about it mmkay?" i like something, i tell you. i don't like something, i tell you.

i love the "don't like it don't use it mantra." of everyone else. of course i'm not going to use it. but i AM going to voice my opinion over the matter no matter what you say, and i will still find it hard to believe that people actually like the themes.

quandarry
Jul 1, 2004, 12:00 AM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
The information on www.iconfactory.com was not enough ? I'm amazed
I look for the new icons, not the software.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 12:29 AM

i love the "don't like it don't use it mantra." of everyone else. of course i'm not going to use it. but i AM going to voice my opinion over the matter no matter what you say, and i will still find it hard to believe that people actually like the themes.
fireside, I could not care less if you like this theme or not, or any other theme for that matter. Face it boy, you are nothing, and your opinion does not count You sound like a frustrated teenager who needs a girlfriend ... You can voice whatever you want, but who the hell cares?!
come at you rapidly

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
what the hell is that supposed to mean? i suppose next you're going to tell me to lighten up because you know, you were "joking."

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 12:32 AM

fireside, I could not care less if you like this theme or not, or any other theme for that matter. Face it boy, you are nothing, and your opinion does not count You sound like a frustrated teenager who needs a girlfriend ... You can voice whatever you want, but who the hell cares?!
well obviously you guys do since you're making such a big deal about my opinion.

i'm not even going to comment on the "you need a girlfriend" crap.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 12:38 AM

well obviously you guys do since you're making such a big deal about my opinion.
No, I don't - i just wanted to let you know, so that you won't have to waste your time in the future writing useless posts like that

i'm not even going to comment on the "you need a girlfriend" crap.
Why, you really have something to say about that?
come at you rapidly

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 01:38 AM

Why, you really have something to say about that?
i have something to say about everything.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 04:17 AM

i like the icons. i am using almost all of his icons (few exceptions), but not the theme. good theme, great icons. where can i find xi ti 2 theme or whatever? please pm me .. thanks

by the way .. good work on the set, dont let 'em get you down .. you've done far mroe than most of us can do =)

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
I look for the new icons, not the software.
You said you figured Pixadex was similar to CandyBar. That was what I commented on. Not whether you look for new icons or not sooooo :ninja:

Hmmm, how do I make this post and others look I am only taking a piss ?

<-- yeah, that'll do

edit: hey, quandarry! Since you are here, why don't you reply to your own Systronic thread ? damnit. Or atleast answer my e-mail! Thank you for being a sport :irony:

delete
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 10:22 AM

I really like using the X-Metal theme a lot. One little thing I've noticed is that in Path Finder the Back/Forward arrows and the View button appear as Aqua elements not as X-Metal ones. Why would this happen? I've switched to other themes and they appear with the look of those themes.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by delete:
I really like using the X-Metal theme a lot. One little thing I've noticed is that in Path Finder the Back/Forward arrows and the View button appear as Aqua elements not as X-Metal ones. Why would this happen? I've switched to other themes and they appear with the look of those themes.
Change the apperance to Aqua in PathFinder. That'll do I think. I've done it and it seems to work. Enjoy.

delete
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 11:55 AM

Where exactly did you choose this? If you mean under Themes in the View menu, that didn't work.They are just color schemes. Am I missing something?

Thanks

delete
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 12:31 PM

OK, now I got it. I was using the brushed metal appearance. So I wonder why the buttons won't work with the brushed look, other themes do.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2004, 03:00 AM

What a bunch of ungrateful, whiners. No wonder some people decide not to release their themes/icons. If it's free, you can offer "constructive" criticism but you don't have any reason to whine and complain.

Good job. Hey fireside, put up (a theme) or shut up.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2004, 10:35 AM

There's an awful lot of pots in here screaming at the top of their lungs that the kettle is black!!!

First off, the "frustrated teenager" comments that several people have used... Do you people realize that the great many of the themers on the Mac are teenagers? Obviously not.

Second, this forum was created for the discussion of themes, nowhere does it say "you can't say anything bad about themes." Are we to visit a forum that is nothing more than a bunch of back-slapping and attaboy posts?

Third, I don't know what theme any of you are looking at, but when I look at it, it looks just like iStyle only a little darker - and apparently several others do too. That is a valid comment, and it bares posting about.

Granted, there's no need to go overboard with posts that simply say "this theme sucks" or anything like that, but valid critique should be welcome by all. Extreme positive and extreme negative comments should be looked at objectively to see what people really like and really dislike about a theme.

And finally, please stop with the "if you don't like it, grab a copy of Themepark and make one yourself." Saying that makes you sound like an idiot... especially since 99% of the people saying it have also never made a theme either. So if you love a theme so much, why don't YOU make a theme just like it.

[ end rant ]
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 02:16 PM

Even though X-metal is similar to iStyle, I found myself using it a good long time. I like it better than iStyle, it's different enough. I don't see why everyone should have gotten so worked-up over this theme. It's a good theme. I look forward to eXec, if it's X-metal with black as the main color, I'd be all over it.
click one

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 04:50 PM

I wouldn't have noticed any of those "mistakes" that everyone keeps pointing out without someone pointing them out. I think this theme is fine! Its a great Pro-looking theme without being too boring or flat. I love it! Some of you guys must look over your entire screen with the "Accessibility zoom" turned all the way up or something. Give him a break, Its a great theme.

Forum Links
Forum Rules