Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook or powermac

ibook or powermac
rastatero
Jul 21, 2004, 07:15 PM

Hi,

I posted earlier in the month about buying choices for the fall academic year. I have about $1300 and I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions.

I am currently looking at either a used dual 1ghz mdd or new ibook + ipod. I will be mostly using Office X, iTunes, and Safari. I have Adobe Creative Studio for MAC and occasionally use photoshop and illustrator. I know an ibook can handle all of this, but I probably wouldn't mind the extra processing power from a dual mdd either. I have already completed a year of college and I had both a laptop and desktop. Portability did not seem to be a huge concern of mine, although a laptop still remains as an advantage.

Please give me your thoughts and opinions and tell me what you would do. Thanks. -- Tony
( Last edited by rastatero; Jul 24, 2004 at 02:25 PM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2004, 07:34 PM

If portability is not a demand, I see no reason for you to get the iBook over the Dual 1GHz.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 08:31 PM

I think it's all a matter of how much you anticipate portability being important. I couldn't live without a laptop, but if you can, go with the Power Mac.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2004, 02:28 AM

Like the others said, it really boils down to how much you need the portability. I never had a notebook, and didn't think the mobility was that big of a deal when I went to college. So I bought a Dual 867. It's a great computer and with the upgrades I have made, it serves me excellently. This year, I had some scholarship money from Gray Davis' Scholarship program, and I spent it on an iBook. It's a great computer and I use it just as much as my powermac (albeit on either the bed or at school). I think that notebooks are great for college students, but I couldn't imagine the iBook being my primary computer. Not quite up to it in the power department.

see if this will put you over the hump for a powerbook: http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html and click on the link to the store.

join the student developer program for 100 dollars, and the Powerbooks start at a more reasonable 1279 (before the 100 dollar membership).

You can use this for the other computers as well, and the discount becomes more prevalent the more expensive computer you buy.

Good Luck
( Last edited by DBvader; Jul 22, 2004 at 02:52 AM. )
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

rastatero  (op)
Jul 22, 2004, 02:26 PM

I may actually be getting the iBook and iPod, due to a lack of dual G4's available.

Still happy about going Apple though.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2004, 02:32 PM

Obviously you'd get more punch from a desktop but the G4 iBooks are damn fine machines. Get enough ram and enjoy the iPod as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

uberwald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 01:53 PM

I just ordered a loaded 12" iBook (w/ the combo drive and everything but RAM maxed out, and I can get that from a 3rd party vendor later), and a 20GB 4th generation iPod for $1564 including tax and shipping. and there's a $200 rebate for the cram and jam promo this is, of course, the student pricing, but you did say you were a student, right? awesome deal for two brand new machines...
http://www.uberwald.com

rastatero  (op)
Jul 23, 2004, 09:48 PM

I caved.... I went to the mall this afternoon and stopped into the Apple Store and now I own a 12" iBook w/ AE and 20Gb iPod Clickwheel. Grand total was 1400 not to mention $200 mail-in-rebate. So the next time you see me post on the board I'll be on my new iBook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- Tony

EDIT: Okay, so I have been using the iBook all morning and I have most of the apps that everyone has mentioned and I am becoming really familiar with everything about OS X. I guess being so familiar with Windows and working with linux/unix systems for the last four years have really made the transition easy. I have just ordered the 512MB memory stick from Crucial.com today, so that should be arriving mid-nextweek and I will be soon getting a USB2 harddrive enclouse because I believe laptop drives are not very trustworthy.

Also, Would you users be able to tell me about different ways of protecting the iBook. Are there covers I can get? Also, since I will be using this as a primary computer at school any advise on good stands, keyboards, (I already have a mice). Or other accessories? Which kind of laptop bags/sleeves do you guys use? Still super excited about apple computing!

-- Tony
( Last edited by rastatero; Jul 24, 2004 at 02:54 PM. )

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 03:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rastatero:
Also, since I will be using this as a primary computer at school any advise on good stands,

I really like my iCurve, but there are others that are more portable.

keyboards,

I like the Matias Tactile pro. A bit clattery, but really accurate and feels good. Keyboards you should always try in person-- hands-on testing.

Or other accessories? Which kind of laptop bags/sleeves do you guys use?

See http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...readid=178702. It applies to Powerbooks but also works for 12" iBooks like yours.

Congrats! I have the same model you just bought and it's great.

rastatero  (op)
Jul 25, 2004, 10:51 AM

Still learning more and more about my iBook.

I just ordered the Zeroshock 12" version and I hope that arries soon.
I have decided to get just a normal logitech usb mouse and keyboard because I do not feel like spending alot of money to have my stuff trashed in college. Thanks for the help. -- Tony

Forum Links
Forum Rules