Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how portabel is a 15" PB

how portabel is a 15" PB
tempo01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2004, 04:35 AM

hi guys,

after some time of thinking i want to get a PB. I'm working as LAndscape Architect in Shanghai and switching often between meetings, office and appartment/hotels...
i really like the small size of the 12" PB, but always connecting a larger screen at office - isn't that annoying ?
wouldn't it be better just get a 15" PB right from the beginning for the next couple of years ?

my simple question therefore:
How PORTABEL is a 15" PB really ?

is it small enough to take it everywhere with you or is it better to get the smaller 12" PB
do you have any experience in carrying ot with you for the whole day ? is it safe ?

thanks for any help,
greetings from shanghai,
tempo01

d.fine
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 06:06 AM

I take my 15" with me to work every day, 30 minute walk, it's not too heavy, just get a good case to protect it well, and off you go. I do not connect to an external screen, the 15" screen is good for me to work on during the day (something like 4-5 hours mostly, this will change into 7-8 hours next week, so I'll get another perspective soon). I'd recommend it if you have to show designs and so to customers. I absolutely love my 15".

Good luck, and enjoy when you get it

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2004, 06:31 AM

Ni hao ma?

Are you taking public transportation or car/taxi? I have a 17 and that's even portable enough for my needs (a good case really does help). If you're on foot, then a 12 may be the way to go. But if you really want to use the screen for clients as well, consider the 15 or 17.

I love the 17 and the extra screen size, though if the 12 was bumped in performance (1.5ghz, 2GB of ram allowed, backlit keyboard, better video card), then I would have considered that.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2004, 11:30 PM

Hope I'm not too late to help....

I have the 15-inch, and it replaced a 15.4-inch HP laptop. The Mac is smaller, thinner, and lighter than the HP. I used the HP on airplanes and all sorts of places just fine. I find the Mac MUCH easier to work with.

I was going to get a 17-inch, but I was REALLY worried about using on an airplane, so I went with the trusty 15-inch.

I recommend it. Great big screen in a very handy size.

Best of luck!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2004, 01:20 AM

The 15" is a tad tight in an airplane seat, but it works. I tote mine around all the time is a bag with a shoulder strap. It doesn't strike me ever as seeming too heavy or too big.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 4, 2004, 01:27 AM

I can't remember where I read this quote but here's what it said:

The 17" puts performance over portability
The 12" puts portability over performance
The 15" is the best compromise between portability and performance.

I love having the external monitor connected to my 12". I'm not annoyed about it. On the road, I find that I usually do Microsoft Office work and such which doesn't really require huge amounts of screen space and rarely use programs that require more screen space. When I need to do some work in Photoshop or InDesign, I hook it up to my 19" external monitor.

But I've also seen myself adapt to whatever I use. Some people say the 17" is too big. Others say it's not that much bigger than the 15" so that size difference is negligible. Yet others are happy with their 12". Heck, I've seen folks that are happy with their 10.4" Windoze laptops.

You'll learn to adapt to whatever you use.

But my best guess is that the 15" would be the perfect combination of portability and performance.

Originally posted by USNA91:
Hope I'm not too late to help....

I have the 15-inch, and it replaced a 15.4-inch HP laptop. The Mac is smaller, thinner, and lighter than the HP. I used the HP on airplanes and all sorts of places just fine. I find the Mac MUCH easier to work with.

I was going to get a 17-inch, but I was REALLY worried about using on an airplane, so I went with the trusty 15-inch.

I recommend it. Great big screen in a very handy size.

In any case, it helps to get a sleeve to protect your PB when it's inside a backpack or briefcase.

Personally, I love my 12". I can probably work with a 15" again but my next PB purchase will be another 12". Now if only Apple would only up the resolution or give us a 13.3" widescreen, that would be the one for me....

Best of luck!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2004, 01:29 AM

i have my 15" in a backpack (in a sleeve too) and i carry it to college (walking distance) and around college all the time. when i travel (pretty often) i carry it everywhere with me. i do not find it too heavy.

i used to have the 12" and i do not find it that much easier than my 15" for portability. i would suggest the 15", the screen size alone is worth the price difference.

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 4, 2004, 10:00 AM

my tiBook 15 is portable in transportation (fairly light and small)
but when it comes to portability in work, try working with it on your lap...
It gets very hot and becomes unbarable... (at least mine does)

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 11:52 AM

My TI book goes with me all over! (in Florida today)

It's a great combo of size and portability. Yeah, the bottom does get a little warm, but it's nothing to worry about.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2004, 06:40 PM

I find the 15" is the perfect mix of portability and power. I definitely couldn't use a 12" screan all day and be productive. This could obviously be solved with an external monitor (which I even have for my 15"). However, the external monitor stays in my dorm room while my 15" comes with me everywhere. I've never had a problem with weight or anything like that. I believe the 15" weighs like 1.1 lbs more than the 12". If you have problems with that 1.1 lb you shuold definitely be more conserned with hitting up the gym
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Ryan1524
Senior User
Dec 4, 2004, 07:10 PM

i take it to class everyday, feels like carrying a 1" binder, except slightly wider. feels like nothing. i don't regret its portability one bit - although a sightly longer battery life wouldn't hurt. but otherwise, i'm very ahppy i didn't go with a 12" or 17". i saw my dad's12" iBook sna everything feels cramped and tiny.
Ryan

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 08:15 PM

Now that I'm working full-time with my 12", I found it a pain with just that screen size. However, I recently got a new Sony Xbrite 17" monitor, and it is even better. So, at home working at a desk, it's ideally plugged in. For simple work away, and for small edits, I think my 12" is great. So, at first, I was hating it, but now with a second monitor, it's even better as a desktop replacement. I wish I did have a 15", but slung over your shoulder, I eventually have issues even with the 12".

US$.02

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 08:46 PM

Certainly a 12" is most portable, but the 15" is nicer to do real work on and weighs only 1.1 pound more. Also the 12" max RAM is 1.25 GB vs 2.0 GB for the 15". IMO the limited RAM, the lesser graphics GPU and the lack of a PC card slot in the 12" make the 12" a non-starter for graphics folks.

All that said, IMO folks in the PB market generally should wait 37 more days to see what happens at Mac Expo prior to purchasing a new PB.

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 4, 2004, 10:32 PM

You should look into the RoadTools Traveller's CoolPad or Podium CoolPad. I think there was also similar products like the IcePad.

Probably google for it or visit some online stores. At least it will keep your lap from getting scorched.

Originally posted by Madrag:
my tiBook 15 is portable in transportation (fairly light and small)
but when it comes to portability in work, try working with it on your lap...
It gets very hot and becomes unbarable... (at least mine does)

meatyocre
Dec 5, 2004, 08:10 PM

I would have to agree with the majority on this one. I recently replaced a 12" PB with a 15" PB and could not be happier. I can finally get some real work done. Perfect balance between power & portability.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 09:29 PM

I bought a 15" and I couldn't be happier. I take it to work everyday, it the perfect compromise of power and portability. Depending on what apps you work with, the 12" has has a small screen. The extra 256x82 pixels of the 15" is more than worth it.

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 6, 2004, 12:36 AM

I love my 12". However the only thing I'd like to change is the resolution. That's my only gripe. It is somewhat alleviated because I can hook it up to an external monitor. I usually put palettes and tool windows on the LCD and do more work on the external monitor.

For Microsoft Office work, email, and internet, the 12" is fine but if I need to demand more, I gotta hook up to an external monitor.

I have learned to use Expose more and find it a godsend. I also paid for DragThing for its dock and an added bonus: hiding Application windows. This feature helps to reduce screen clutter by hiding other application windows when I switch from 1 program to another. There is also an option to prevent auto-hiding programs like iTunes, Calculator, iChat, etc.

So there are workarounds for the 12".

I'd love it if Apple would create a 13.3" widescreen. A 13.3" widescreen would not offer a noticable size increase over the 12.1" screen and would definitely offer better screen resolution.

Originally posted by dlefebvre:
I bought a 15" and I couldn't be happier. I take it to work everyday, it the perfect compromise of power and portability. Depending on what apps you work with, the 12" has has a small screen. The extra 256x82 pixels of the 15" is more than worth it.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 09:57 AM

Its as portable as you are.

As far as you can carry it.

If you're actually worried, get a 12in. Honestly, you won't notice a difference between a 12in and a 15in.

Voch
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 10:52 AM

I'm weighing this for my next Mac purchase. I have the 15" TiBook now and love it but I may get a 12" PowerBook or iBook as my next purchase for portability reasons. I just can't decide (and don't have to yet as the TiBook still works great)...

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by SierraDragon:
Certainly a 12" is most portable, but the 15" is nicer to do real work on and weighs only 1.1 pound more. Also the 12" max RAM is 1.25 GB vs 2.0 GB for the 15". IMO the limited RAM, the lesser graphics GPU and the lack of a PC card slot in the 12" make the 12" a non-starter for graphics folks.

All that said, IMO folks in the PB market generally should wait 37 more days to see what happens at Mac Expo prior to purchasing a new PB.
Definitely a good point. These are some of the things that I wish were changed about the 12" PB. IMHO apple needs to use a standard GPU across the board... maybe make the 12" a Radeon 9700 w/ 64 mb and the other two machines have it with 128mb. They also need to have a PCI card slot in a professional level machine. 1.25gb of ram is still a decent amount, but 512 built in or 2 seperate slots would be ideal! The 12" is a great little machine, but if you have the money and need the screan size, the 15" isn't much bigger weight wise. And, lets face it, in a sleave case it's no bigger than the average college 3-ring binder... certainly smaller than most science/engineering texts...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules