Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poll: Internal Modem/Firewire 800 Regular Users

View Poll Results: Use the following regularly:
Poll Options:
Internal Modem 1 votes (5.26%)
Firewire 800 4 votes (21.05%)
Both Internal Modem and Firewire 800 3 votes (15.79%)
Do Not Use Either 11 votes (57.89%)
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll
Poll: Internal Modem/Firewire 800 Regular Users
mojo5436
Jan 12, 2006, 02:26 PM

There's been much debate in the "MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread]" thread about the elimination of the internal Modem and the Firewire 800 port. How many people here that currently use Powerbooks use their internal Modems and Firewire 800 regularly?
( Last edited by mojo5436; Jan 12, 2006 at 02:42 PM. )

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 05:19 AM

There's been a massive debate in that thread? Wish it wasn't over 10 pages, makes it a pain to keep up with. I stopped reading after 3, hopefully the mods will allow multiple threads again soon, since also big thread are a pain in the search results.

Anyhow, I've used my modem in my Powerbook once, only to test an ISPs PortMaster I helped config. Didn't work anyhow, as my only phone line in the house is Vonage, so I ended up using someone elses laptop at their house.

FW800, never used it. I have a FW400 enclosure, and an iSight, but never needed to use both at the same time to justify buying a FW800-FW400 cable. If Apple would have thrown in a FW800-FW400 plug adapter, it might have been used once or twice.

The speed gains on the new system are much more important to me then losing a firewire port, or having to get a small USB modem. I doubt the modem will ever return to any Apple system in an internal way, and FW800 might not, so I suppose if these features manage to outweigh the performance gains, then grab a PowerBook G4 now.
( Last edited by Drakino; Jan 13, 2006 at 05:29 AM. )
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules