Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Video Conversion for use with iTunes/FrontRow

Video Conversion for use with iTunes/FrontRow
DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2006, 10:53 PM

Hello-

I wanted to take some avi files I had (I think they are ripped using FFMPEG/PassThrough Audio) and convert them into MPEG 4 files. To the best of my knowledge, AVI is simply a container for a video and audio track, right? Is there any easy way to extract these from my ripped AVIs and make them into MP4s? Would I have to reenconde the AC3 file (quicktime currently cannot play the audio portion of these files)? Also, has anyone found a way around using front row on your primary screen. It would be great if I could use it on the TV I have connected to my pmac.

Thanks.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 12:05 AM

If they play in QuickTime, QuickTime Pro will export them for you. It's simple and worth the $29, in my opinion.

Chris

DBvader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2006, 12:10 AM

Yeah, I know I can do it through quicktime, but what about the AC3 sound file? Quicktime has no problem playing the videos, just the audio portion. I messed around with the export feature a bit earlier today, and it seemed that the video options were going to recode at another bitrate, etc. I just want to maintain the audio/video file and change the container type to mp4. I'll keep playing with QT and see what happens.

Thanks.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Forum Links
Forum Rules