Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Passoword Lock Folders

Passoword Lock Folders
Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 10:02 AM

Any one recomend a free or cheap app that will quickly (maybe a context menu?) allow you to password protect folder and/or files. Thanks in advance

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2006, 11:53 AM

All the folders in your User folder are 'password protected' already - you can control what other users on the computer can see using the permissions settings in the Finder. Select something in the Finder and go Get Info - you can set the read and write permissions there.

For extra security, the best thing to do is create an excrypted (password protected) disk image using Disk Utility (in your Application/Utilities folder) - store your secret stuff in there, and 'eject' it just like a disk when you want to close it.

Or...turn on FileVault (security preference panel) - although most people don't recommend this because it's putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 11:55 AM

I think multiple people use his account, so he wants to be able to put an additional password on certain folders.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 12:12 PM

More for passer byers who might see a folder with confidential material in it and want to sneak a peak while I am away form my desk.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 01:10 PM

You can put confidential files into a password protected disk image (don't add the password to the keychain of course).

You can create secure notes (plain text) within Keychain Access (File->New Secure Note Item). I have an extra keychain specially for notes.

You can enable fast user switching and get used to switching to the log-in screen before leaving your desk. You can also require a password when waking up or from the screensaver in System Preferences->Security.

Those are the built-in options you have.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 01:19 PM

There are multiple programs out there that can hide and password project folders within the Finder, which should suit your needs.

MBPchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 07:24 AM

Whenever I need to leave my computer alone and when I leave, I use this little widget to lock my computer. Its great, fast and easy. I love it!

http://bluecouch.com/locker/

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 07:56 AM

How can you have 1,500 posts and never have heard of encrypted disk images before?

|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

pliny
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 08:27 AM

If anyone knows of a program to password protect folders and files in the finder, why not post a link to it?
i look in your general direction

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2006, 09:23 AM

I'm sure I saw a program once that automatically unmounted enrypted disk images after a period of inactivity. Was is PGPDesktop ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules