Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Fs/FT White macbook 2.0

Fs/FT White macbook 2.0
bigdaddysheikh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2007, 06:42 PM

Hey,

I got a white macbook 2.0 ghz with 1 gig ddr ram. This laptop is so bad for heavy programs and I am about to go to dell because it can't handle **** like photoshop, dreamweaver corel alll running at the same time. It is getting annoying.

So I need a better performance laptop with smooth running and handling with heavy programs.

I am willing to trade this macbook + my guitar ($250 CDN) + cash for a macbook pro core 2 duo or just a macbook pro.

My last attempt to find a deal or else I am stuck with this.

Thanks.

xfiftyfour
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2007, 09:52 PM

Just FYI, a MBP with the same specs will handle Photoshop and DW just the same, since those programs don't utilize the video card. What you're probably having problems with is the fact that CS2 is not UB, so it runs in rosetta, which is very RAM-hungry, and 1GB isn't enough to run all the programs simultaneously. You're probably experiencing page outs, and a MBP will have the same problem. Your only option is to boot into windows and get a XP/Vista copy of CS2 so that it runs natively on the hardware, or to wait until CS3 is released and get that (to run in OSX natively). Alternatively, you could up your RAM to 2GBs, which is the cheaper option, and though it will boost the machine's performance in those programs, you could still hit a ceiling and have the same problems.

But, yeah.. just didn't want you going through all the hassle of paying extra and making the switch to a MBP only to find yourself with the same problem..
15.4-inch Glossy 2.6Ghz MBP w/ 4GB RAM
Dell 2407wfp || (2) 500GB MyBooks || 8GB iPhone w/ SE420s

Bob_Barker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2007, 10:27 PM

You should see a noticeable jump in performace if you bump the RAM to 2GB. It would cost less than $120 if you buy right now, and the performance will only get better once you get a native-running verison of CS. 1GB just isn't enough RAM for the types of things you're running. You'll eliminate a lot of beachballs with a RAM Upgrade.

bigdaddysheikh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2007, 11:25 PM

I am thinking about selling the MB and getting a dell.

Even if I only run dreamweaver, it takes soo long to open and it freezes everysingle time I click on it for a second. I get the beachball. The mac runs smooth if I zoom out and stuff but I guess I shouldnt be expecting good performance from this mac.

It is a laptop after all.

xfiftyfour
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2007, 11:44 PM

That's the most absurd thing I've ever read. You, sir, obviously do not know much about computers.

But, yeah - enjoy the Dell.

migel628
Apr 13, 2007, 11:58 PM

How much are you looking to get for the MB? Also, do you have any pics of it in action?

Bob_Barker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 12:53 AM

The BeachBall is likely occuring because you've run out of RAM and the computer is having to cache the inactive contents of the RAM to your Hard Drive to make room for the stuff you're trying to run. This caching process can be a huge bottleneck if you're using Memory-Intensive Applications (e.g. CS, Dreamweaver, etc.).

The only downside that you are experiencing by having a MacBook is your RAM is shared between the video card and the system, so your system has 80MB less RAM to use than if you were running a MacBook Pro with the same specs. A jump to 2GB will help make the 80MB less significant.

But the fact that the MacBook is a laptop isn't your problem, nor is it the fact that it's a mac. The same principles apply when you run Windows too. If you don't have an adequate amount of RAM, you are going to experience slowdowns and pauses while the computer tries to make room for the data/applications you are trying to use. Unless you buy a PC with more RAM than the MacBook has, you won't fair much better than you are now.

It's worth the $120 or so to pick up 2 1GB SODIMMs and see the difference in performance. I think you'll really be surprised.

bigdaddysheikh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 10:45 AM

hahaha

Dell- I think I was on crack at that time. It is just that I am so frustrated with this and it bothers me. I upgraded from a p4 1.8 and my programs run at similar speed as that. I don't think dreamweaver is UB yet.

It is getting annoying to keep seeing the beachball when you are in the middle of intese coding or working. And it is not like a second, then my itunes stop then my mouse dissapears and then 1 -2 mins later it is ok.

These freezes happen frequently during my heavy use.

LiquidIce1337
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2007, 11:51 AM

yhpm

isleofjib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 03:25 PM

Is this a CD or C2D?

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2007, 07:32 PM

Isn't Photoshop native now? I cannot imagine that DW would be far out for being a native build.

xfiftyfour
Forum Regular
May 6, 2007, 11:22 AM

DW has a native build - it's part of CS3

Forum Links
Forum Rules