Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Incorrect RAM Capacity in Leopard - But Correct in Tiger

Incorrect RAM Capacity in Leopard - But Correct in Tiger
mojo5436
Aug 18, 2008, 11:51 AM

After installing Leopard on a 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4 Powerbook, the total RAM shows up as 768 MB. There are currently two 512 sticks in the computer. System profiler says there is one 512 and one 256 which is incorrect. Apple has already replaced one of the sticks of RAM because we were having trouble installing Leopard and the system was unstable.

Furthermore, the RAM was fine while running Tiger (just upgraded to Leopard yesterday).

We will be bringing the computer back into Apple for further diagnostics but was wondering if anyone had any additional input or suggestions.
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz C2D 2 GB SDRAM 7200 100GB Glossy
Power Mac G4/400Mhz/AGP Graphics

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2008, 12:39 PM

If it's a 15" PB then they had an issue with RAM slots that went bad and stopped working, not sure what the range of 15" PBs was. A lot of people say it happened after updating the OS, but I think it's coincidence or they just happened to check System Profiler so noticed.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 12:53 PM

http://www.apple.com/support/exchang...powerbook.html

Unfortunately, the program seanc mentioned is no longer in effect through Apple. If you have AppleCare though, I'm sure it'll be covered.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2008, 12:55 PM

They may still cover it if you find some nice geniuses. The design flaw, like the iBook G3s, never went away really, they just keep handing out the same broken parts. I know a few people have gotten G3s repaired way after the program.

mojo5436  (op)
Aug 19, 2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. It is a 15" and when we brought it into Apple all they did was replace one of the sticks of RAM. The book was brought in under Apple Care Warranty last week, but has since expired. Seeing as they didn't correctly disposition the problem to begin with, I don't think it'll be an issue getting them to take care of it out of warranty now.
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz C2D 2 GB SDRAM 7200 100GB Glossy
Power Mac G4/400Mhz/AGP Graphics

Forum Links
Forum Rules