Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X 10.2 End of Support

OS X 10.2 End of Support
migel628
Apr 7, 2009, 01:47 PM

I have a few PowerMac G4 machines w/ 10.2.8 on them and was wondering when Apple officially stopped supporting it (or if they continue to push out patches)? I couldn't find much, if anything on the subject, so I figured I should ask. Thanks in advance

Thorzdad
Apr 7, 2009, 01:51 PM

I'm pretty sure 10.2 is no longer supported/patched/developed for/etc. I think 10.4.? might be the oldest version of OSX still being supported.

migel628  (op)
Apr 7, 2009, 01:57 PM

I was thought as much. I guess I'll have to suggest an upgrade to at least 10.4 if not 10.5 w/ the help of LeopardAssist (b/c the systems are 733MHz).

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I'm pretty sure 10.2 is no longer supported/patched/developed for/etc. I think 10.4.? might be the oldest version of OSX still being supported.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2009, 09:30 PM

10.5 requires gobs of RAM, even 1gig is puny. How much memory can you cram in your G4s?

migel628  (op)
Apr 7, 2009, 09:41 PM

I'd go w/ 10.4, but I'm pretty sure that Apple no longer sells it and due to state issues, I'd have to go through them. I guess I'll have to call my Apple Rep and see what they can do.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2009, 02:47 AM

There is hardly a reason not to upgrade to 10.4. It makes pretty efficient use of hardware resources. And it runs fine even on older Macs. Leopard is a bit different. If you don't have enough RAM Leopard can be a real pain.

You can get 10.4 for cheap. Many people out there have an old Tiger CD lying around and are willing to sell it for a few bucks.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2009, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
10.5 requires gobs of RAM, even 1gig is puny. How much memory can you cram in your G4s?
I haven't found that 10.5 is really that much more RAM-intensive than 10.4. Have you?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2009, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I haven't found that 10.5 is really that much more RAM-intensive than 10.4. Have you?
I would say so. In my experience they both work with the same amount of RAM, but Leopard requires more RAM to reach really good performance. If you're tight on memory I would suggest sticking with Tiger. It'll perform better, at least in my experience.

migel628  (op)
Apr 8, 2009, 09:14 AM

I'd buy 10.4 second hand, but since the systems are owned by a school, all purchases must be through the proper channels, so a call to Apple it is. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
You can get 10.4 for cheap. Many people out there have an old Tiger CD lying around and are willing to sell it for a few bucks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules