Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > re: fallout 1 and 2 ports for the Mac and latest iMac...and splinter cell Chaos..

re: fallout 1 and 2 ports for the Mac and latest iMac...and splinter cell Chaos..
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 20, 2010, 04:32 PM

Hi,

I can't seem to run either of the two fallout mac ports on the latest and greatest 26" iMac...despite whatever resolution I pick, the game's completely unviewable. Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this? Certain resolutions will let me see the intro segment, but that's as far as it goes. when it goes to the game menus, I just get a black screen.

Another problem is running Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on the PC-side of things (using bootcamp and win XP). I remember trying to install this years ago on the very first macbook, and the graphics card at the time couldn't handle it.

I tried doing the same on this newest imac, and it *still* didn't work, which makes no sense considering how old this game is (Oct 2005). I get this error that says something like, "directX not supported, video card is insufficient" or something of the like.
Anybody have success on getting Splinter Cell to work on a bootcamp partition?
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2010, 04:35 PM

There are a few widescreen mods for Fallout 2 that I am aware of, and one that lets you pick resolutions all the way up to 1680x1050 (at least on my 20" machine).

I had difficulty getting everything to render properly in F2. The movies were borked and random items would have a rainbow effect instead of the regular texture. Overall still very playable.

You'll need to search for some mods that update the game's resolution options.

As for Splinter cell, just try and re-install DirectX drivers, or download a driver utility for your brand of gfx card and see if that helps.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 20, 2010, 04:46 PM

Never played either of the first two games,
Is it worth trying to get a hold of these and get them running on my MacBook pro?
Fatty? Our joint love for fallout 3 makes me think you'll have an opinion

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2010, 06:03 PM

I've always heard, from very vocal gamers, that Fallout 2 is THE definitive Fallout. I found it a very interesting game, and certainly huge by any use of the word. Uses a tile-based turn system of combat that takes some getting used to and the beginning of the game is quite hard thanks to the lack of any ranged attacks. The inventory left alot to be desired, and was very cramped. Then again this game is kind of old.

If you've got the time I suggest playing it. You'll notice characters that returned in F3, more sci-fi references than you can shake a stick at and some genuine apocalyptic wasteland fun.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2010, 06:08 PM

Just to clarify, kentuckyfried, I found said mods and used them on the Windows version of Fallout 2. Not sure if the same amount of mods are available on the Macintosh. probably not.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2010, 12:41 AM

The Omni Group did the ports. Might be worth an email to them.

kentuckyfried  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The Omni Group did the ports. Might be worth an email to them.
I'm sol...Omni doesn't do games anymore and they can't even publish an update for the Fallout 1 and 2 conversions:

Fallout / Fallout 2 & Snow Leopard [Archive] - The Omni Group Forums

Luckily the entire set doesn't cost that much...

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2011, 12:11 PM

I wound up getting the Windows versions and running them under WINE. It was a bit of a pain to set up, requiring a fair amount of console trickery, but once done both worked flawlessly on my Core i7 iMac.

kentuckyfried  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by eyadams View Post
I wound up getting the Windows versions and running them under WINE. It was a bit of a pain to set up, requiring a fair amount of console trickery, but once done both worked flawlessly on my Core i7 iMac.
What is wine?

I'll probably end up getting the Windows version at some point. Are
you running Windows 7?

Too many other games to play right now, too little time. =P

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by kentuckyfried View Post
What is wine?

I'll probably end up getting the Windows version at some point. Are
you running Windows 7?
WINE is a Windows emulator...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

If you already have Windows installed using bootcamp, your best to use that.

Originally Posted by kentuckyfried View Post
Too many other games to play right now, too little time. =P
Yeah I know what you mean... there's never enough time...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2011, 06:18 PM

Wine Is Not an Emulator. That's their joke, not mine. Wine is an open source project that makes it possible to run Windows software on Unix and Unix-like operating systems, like OS X and Linux. If you've ever downloaded and compiled an open source project, you can probably handle Wine.

I tried running Windows Fallout and Fallout 2 under Vista (I still don't have Windows 7 on my Boot Camp partition). It was not satisfactory - colors were wrong, animated sequences were displayed incorrectly, etc. The nifty thing about WINE is that it can be configured to match the behavior or specific versions of Windows, and I was able to choose version that best suited the games (Windows 95, I think).

Forum Links
Forum Rules