Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Why is every car thread being ruined?

Why is every car thread being ruined?
Thread Tools
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 04:01 PM
 
I'm all for a bit of straying off topic, but seriously.

I count four automotive-related threads on the first page. ALL FOUR ended up being about the same opinion-touted-as-fact bullshit that ruins threads.

Do we seriously have to put up with this? (I realize that no, I could just leave MacNN or avoid car threads, but for the most part, I quite like both of them).

Edit: In hindsight, it should have been a poll.
( Last edited by Laminar; Oct 3, 2010 at 04:27 PM. )
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 04:07 PM
 
We should move car threads to the PWL.

-t
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 04:19 PM
 
I realize there's a "no threads about other members" rule, but in all honesty, we all know this is about Rob.

And you're right.
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 04:36 PM
 
I've been getting a lot of reports lately about Rob in car threads. He tends to post in these things once or twice with his opinion. This is quickly followed by particular members who jump on the post, which then brings Rob back to defend his original. This cycle continues ad nauseam until one of the participants feels like there is enough to whine to a Lounge mod about it.

It's frustrating to read reports about thread crapping, then when I go through the thread, it's overwhelmingly the same members dogpiling it into a derail fifteen posts larger than the initial. Rinse and repeat in another car thread.

We all post our opinions in the Lounge. As topics get recycled, members post their opinions again in different ways. That's not necessarily thread crapping. Ignore it either using human discipline or the vB Ignore list and stay on topic if you want to help the OP.
     
Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 04:46 PM
 
Okay, will commence smiling and nodding at turrible posts.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 05:04 PM
 
Well, you could make things better by not replying to Rob. Sometimes, your replies don't exactly help the situation.

-t
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 05:07 PM
 
Fair enough. I've put him on ignore, sadly.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 05:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Fair enough. I've put him on ignore, sadly.
Actually, I meant Laminar, mostly.

-t
     
Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 08:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Actually, I meant Laminar, mostly.-t
Good job reading my post.
     
Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 09:09 PM
 
According to this post, plenty of users have been banned from the PWL because (I'm assuming) it was determined that they couldn't handle posting in threads of a certain type. Why couldn't everyone else just leave these users alone and ignore their ignorant, close-minded drivel?
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 10:25 PM
 
Members get banned from PWL because they can't follow its specific set of rules throughout PWL.

In the Lounge there's a difference between an opinionated post on topic and a derail. Only the latter is against the rules, and in the Lounge it generally needs to be a serious derail. The technical forums are more strict.

If you report a post, it helps to be specific (e.g., OP wants to talk about GTA, member floods with Zelda screen caps. OP wants to talk about Fords, member won't stop dumping Audi stats in). More often that not, what you'll find is that the original topic ran out of juice and then diverged, or a mod will respond to ask that it get back on track. The Lounge has 3 mods; if none of them do anything, it's probably for a reason.
     
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Night's Plutonian shore...
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 11:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The Lounge has 3 mods; if none of them do anything, it's probably for a reason.
Because I hate everyone and have a new found delight with chaos. Or something. I don't know. I really do hate everyone though. ****ers.
Nemo me impune lacesset
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 11:08 PM
 
Reported.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 11:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Good job reading my post.
What's that have to do with the fact that you are one of those that bait Rob in car threads ?

-t
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 11:37 PM
 
The Lounge has 3 mods now? You learn something new every day.

Note that something might get done without it being obvious. Infractions are invisible to other members. Also, a report may get discussed among the forum's mods, with something done a day later. If the thread is on a different page by then, how many people will notice an edit, or that an earlier post vanished?
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Oct 3, 2010, 11:53 PM
 
People who check back on their posts? (You did mean for someone to answer that right? )
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 08:23 AM
 
Can I point out that taking personally ANYTHING posted semi-anonymously in an Internet forum is just not smart? Some guy posts his opinion, and he's firmly convinced he's right. Fine. He can be convinced. Instead of arguing with him, why not just ask how he got to that opinion. Or maybe provide how you got to your own opinion.

I'm an occupational therapist, and I've spent a lot of time working with developmentally and intellectually disabled people. But I'm still going to remind everyone: "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics..."

Now if you can manage a discussion, where people voice opinions and others think about those opinions and voice their own, followed by an exchange of ideas in a civil and intelligent manner, that's a completely different thing. But most of the car threads, as CW has pointed out, have featured one member posting an opinion and other members attacking that opinion and/or the member. See above about Special Olympics. In other words folks, if more members behaved like grown ups, the ones that won't or can't will sort of stop being a problem...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 09:16 AM
 
While you do make a good point, I think that it should be allowed to tell somebody that he's insulting. (note: "lemming" is an insult)

And attacking a VIEWPOINT for being untenable or factually wrong is hardly the same as attacking the poster.

And considering somebody unproblematic because everybody else is simply ignoring him is hardly a long-term solution.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 09:25 AM
 
Saying "that was insulting" is not a problem. Saying "you're a jerkface" IS a problem. Going tit for tat is not civil. Unfortunately a lot of people here haven't gotten that idea. Further, any attack has to be reasoned, measured and presented civilly; rather than saying "that's an idiotic statement," (a frank attack), it's better to say "how did you come to that conclusion?" or "I don't see how that statement applies" (both contest the statement without being as confrontational), or simply "I disagree."

We have a LOT of members who are unproblematic. We have some who are only problematic to some other members. The long term solution to members who are real problems is to identify where the problems are and find ways to prevent those problems. When member X and member Y appear to get a lot of enjoyment out of poking at member Z because they know Z blows up in entertaining ways, the problem isn't all Z's fault. And while part of the fault in that case lies with the staff not being careful enough to watch X and Y's behavior, the real problem lies with X and Y being intentionally juvenile in their actions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 09:35 AM
 
If you're so disturbed by what Rob is posting, Laminar, just put him on your ignore list. (This applies to anyone else who doesn't want to interact with him.) It's up to you not to answer what you think is a stupid opinion. The staff will deal with people who break the rules and the resident mods and admins certainly don't like it if some feel the need to take the law into their own hands. However, if you do hit the reply button time and again, then don't complain if Rob also replies to what you've written.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 10:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm all for a bit of straying off topic, but seriously.

I count four automotive-related threads on the first page. ALL FOUR ended up being about the same opinion-touted-as-fact bullshit that ruins threads.
It's odd, that's rather obvious but I didn't put 2 + 2 together until you pointed out.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Note that something might get done without it being obvious. Infractions are invisible to other members.
I love this. Every time a thread like this gets started a mod or admin will feel the need to chip in "just because you don't see anything happening doesn't mean we're doing nothing."
That great. Since there's no possible way for us to be able to discern this before starting the thread the sentiment is meaningless.

---

As far as "put on ignore" is concerned, that's usually designated for personal differences. If a member has a habit of habitually crapping on certain threads that usually denotes a problem with the member, not those threads or its participants.

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Because I hate everyone and have a new found delight with chaos. Or something. I don't know. I really do hate everyone though. ****ers.
The tough guy facade isn't fooling anyone. I bet you sob while writing out each and every infraction, and blow through a pint of Häagen-Dazs after handing out a ban.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 10:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Since there's no possible way for us to be able to discern this before starting the thread the sentiment is meaningless.
I don't think so: you could either inquire or have faith in the staff. If you're unhappy with how things are run, send a pm to the resident mods or one of the admins. We listen, but don't expect us to necessarily agree with you.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
As far as "put on ignore" is concerned, that's usually designated for personal differences. If a member has a habit of habitually crapping on certain threads that usually denotes a problem with the member, not those threads or its participants.
Perhaps your behavior (not necessarily Dakar, but you in general) is part of the problem? If these members also contribute to thread crapping, then they're part of the problem and shouldn't be surprised if they are treated as such.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The tough guy facade isn't fooling anyone. I bet you sob while writing out each and every infraction, and blow through a pint of Häagen-Dazs after handing out a ban.
We don't take bribes
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 10:57 AM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don't think so: you could either inquire or have faith in the staff. If you're unhappy with how things are run, send a pm to the resident mods or one of the admins. We listen, but don't expect us to necessarily agree with you.
I don't see why starting a thread in the appropriate forum is an invalid form of inquiry.


Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Perhaps your behavior (not necessarily Dakar, but you in general) is part of the problem? If these members also contribute to thread crapping, then they're part of the problem and shouldn't be surprised if they are treated as such.
If one person is proving to be the exception to the rule, shunting the blame onto other members for responding to him is just bad form. We're human beings, and we can only listen to so much crazy before feeling the need to respond.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 11:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't see why starting a thread in the appropriate forum is an invalid form of inquiry.
It is, we have no problem with the discussion here. You were criticizing that infractions and all are not public and I was responding to that. So in addition to posting in the Feedback forum, I suggested you another option: you could contact us privately to talk about problems as well. Nothing more, nothing less.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If one person is proving to be the exception to the rule, shunting the blame onto other members for responding to him is just bad form. We're human beings, and we can only listen to so much crazy before feeling the need to respond.
I don't buy that: we're all adults and if you cannot contain yourself, you're not one bit better. The attitude that it's only `one person's fault' won't get you very far with us in this discussion.

If you use the ignore feature, you don't have to listen to any of the things Rob says.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 11:22 AM
 
This was certainly an A for effort attempt at elevating an automotive related thread to a reasonably intelligent level of discourse.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...idworks-wheel/

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I don't get it.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You and Salty should get a blog together.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I don't get it.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 11:24 AM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
It is, we have no problem with the discussion here. You were criticizing that infractions and all are not public and I was responding to that.
No, no reread what I said. I said a reminder that infractions are private is meaningless. Everyone knows this. The reminder comes off as chiding for not having faith in the mods and admins. Too bad.

I understand why such things are kept private, but mods and admins need to accept that the consequences of such a system are that threads such as this will pop up from time to time. I don't think the members of this board are being very burdensome, either. We see, what four threads like this a year? So let's do without the condescension.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
So in addition to posting in the Feedback forum, I suggested you another option: you could contact us privately to talk about problems as well. Nothing more, nothing less.
And so long as I have both options I prefer the former. Organizing all thoughts on the subject to one thread seems more efficient.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don't buy that: we're all adults and if you cannot contain yourself, you're not one bit better. The attitude that it's only `one person's fault' won't get you very far with us in this discussion.
Yeah, the issue here is that we're not all adults. An adult doesn't feel the need to consistently express his well known opinion in every thread that deals with the topic.

The forum was as passive as you'd have liked for a while. The consequences are that it's now escalated into a pile-on. You can only poke a man with a stick so many time before he is provoked.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 11:44 AM
 
What sort of action other than reminding you that other people's infractions (and for that matter other management actions) are not visible to you? It's not appropriate to ban a member just to show others that "we're doing something about it." And it's definitely not appropriate to make ANY management action against another member public.

I should further note that there are a lot of members who "consistently express [their] opinion in every thread that deals with the topic." Some members' posting styles and content tend to make us all accept their posts as both reasoned and worthwhile. But not everyone who "consistently expresses" posts that way. Some of our membership just can't help but post "Rob, you're wrong" whenever possible, instead of posting "whatever.." or nothing at all. These latter members tend to make those threads disintegrate much faster by doing that, keeping the thread alive just to poke at Rob or some other member. This has become a significant issue lately, one that will no longer be tolerated in any way. Members that poke just to poke are on notice that their actions are also unacceptable and they will be subject to sanctions as well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 11:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What sort of action other than reminding you that other people's infractions (and for that matter other management actions) are not visible to you?
If that's all that's you guys can do, than just reply to OP with that statement and lock the thread, so we don't have to go in these stupid circles.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It's not appropriate to ban a member just to show others that "we're doing something about it."
Not what I'm asking for. But sometimes we will hear, "Yes this has come up and we're working towards a solution."

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And it's definitely not appropriate to make ANY management action against another member public.
Within the framework of the system you set up. Also, bans are very public.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I should further note that there are a lot of members who "consistently express [their] opinion in every thread that deals with the topic." Some members' posting styles and content tend to make us all accept their posts as both reasoned and worthwhile.
Common sense and obviously not this situation.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Some of our membership just can't help but post "Rob, you're wrong" whenever possible, instead of posting "whatever.." or nothing at all. These latter members tend to make those threads disintegrate much faster by doing that, keeping the thread alive just to poke at Rob or some other member. This has become a significant issue lately, one that will no longer be tolerated in any way. Members that poke just to poke are on notice that their actions are also unacceptable and they will be subject to sanctions as well.
Oh hey! Look! An answer to the OP that doesn't involve "Note that something might [be getting] done without it being obvious." Good to hear.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 12:26 PM
 
The FIRST rule of management is "chastise in private, praise in public." That applies to kindergarten, McDonalds, a board room, or this sort of public forum. Our framework is not built to berate members. It's built to encourage civil discourse and discourage uncivil behavior. Be advised that any ban is the LAST step in a long process, meaning that all the other attempts behind the scenes to help a member alter his/her behavior have failed. That bans are visible is a compromise between keeping management actions private and explaining to the rest of the members why a particular member isn't active.

Some of those members who just poke at other members are also the kind of people who would use visible sanctions to further annoy other members. This is a very important reason to not make such actions public. We don't have members wear a scarlet letter, we do what we can to keep everyone as involved in civil and grown up activities. We want to keep our forums as open and relaxed as possible. At times though, a large number of members start behaving more like 3rd graders than adults, and when that happens, we have to act like the playground monitor and give people a "time out." Well I'm feeling very much like a playground monitor right now...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 12:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Saying "that was insulting" is not a problem. Saying "you're a jerkface" IS a problem. Going tit for tat is not civil. Unfortunately a lot of people here haven't gotten that idea. Further, any attack has to be reasoned, measured and presented civilly; rather than saying "that's an idiotic statement," (a frank attack), it's better to say "how did you come to that conclusion?" or "I don't see how that statement applies" (both contest the statement without being as confrontational), or simply "I disagree."
How about some middle ground ?

E.g. "how did you come to that idiotic conclusion?"

-t
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 12:53 PM
 
First of, I'm going to apologize for working myself to a froth. I get frustrated when answers to simple questions are obfuscated to a degree which seems to cover any possible action that may occur in the future.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Some of those members who just poke at other members are also the kind of people who would use visible sanctions to further annoy other members. This is a very important reason to not make such actions public. We don't have members wear a scarlet letter, we do what we can to keep everyone as involved in civil and grown up activities. We want to keep our forums as open and relaxed as possible. At times though, a large number of members start behaving more like 3rd graders than adults, and when that happens, we have to act like the playground monitor and give people a "time out." Well I'm feeling very much like a playground monitor right now...
I realize a balance must be maintained. I also think if one person is able to change the entire face of a subforum by their participation, a heavier hand may be required.

Anyway, I think we've covered but everything as well as can be expected. Thanks for your time.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 01:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
First of, I'm going to apologize for working myself to a froth. I get frustrated when answers to simple questions are obfuscated to a degree which seems to cover any possible action that may occur in the future.
That's because some members have a very good memory when it comes to things we have said or done -- and they're not afraid to remind us
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 01:12 PM
 
Everything you've been doing has gone in your permanent record.
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Note that something might get done without it being obvious. Infractions are invisible to other members.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I love this. Every time a thread like this gets started a mod or admin will feel the need to chip in "just because you don't see anything happening doesn't mean we're doing nothing."
That great. Since there's no possible way for us to be able to discern this before starting the thread the sentiment is meaningless.
It's a valid complaint. There is no technical reason why Infractions could not be made visible to other members. vB didn't do that (I assume) for privacy reasons, but it could be changed with some template work.

That is, if members and staff thought it was a good idea.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 02:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It's a valid complaint. There is no technical reason why Infractions could not be made visible to other members. vB didn't do that (I assume) for privacy reasons, but it could be changed with some template work.

That is, if members and staff thought it was a good idea.
Again, I'm not asking for them to be made visible. I understand why they're kept private. NN Regulars (and those who usually start these threads) just don't need that little 'minder every time one of these threads occurs.

Edit: That two of you misunderstood what I was saying is a little discomforting.
     
Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 02:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What's that have to do with the fact that you are one of those that bait Rob in car threads ?
Did you miss this?

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Okay, will commence smiling and nodding at turrible posts.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
If you're so disturbed by what Rob is posting, Laminar, just put him on your ignore list.
Yes, I acknowledged this option right away.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
(I realize that no, I could just leave MacNN or avoid car threads, but for the most part, I quite like both of them).
But I thought it was obvious that me ignoring a single member's posts doesn't stop every car thread from being ruined. "Just ignore him" is a bullshit answer and doesn't provide a solution to the problem posted in the OP.

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
This was certainly an A for effort attempt at elevating an automotive related thread to a reasonably intelligent level of discourse.
Rawr.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I also think if one person is able to change the entire face of a subforum by their participation, a heavier hand may be required.
I'm glad that someone gets it.

Dakar for admin.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 02:52 PM
 
You know, when I was a mod at a whole other forum once I used to go in and modify the offending post - basically put the infraction-worthy bit in red and a sentence at the bottom with words to the effect of "infract served for above".

Worked a treat.

Like this:

I like boobies and Dakar is a big girl's blouse.

Infract given for highlighted text above - moderator.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 02:53 PM
 
Oh, and someone needs to start a car thread. I'm not sure if I'm totally sure of Rob's position on the issue of used vs new.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 02:55 PM
 
I'm can see the walls of the Mod Lounge will be caked with the lingering curses of my name for opening this can of worms (though its your own fault for misunderstanding my point).
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 03:10 PM
 
What Mod Lounge? There is no Mod Lounge.
     
Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 03:13 PM
 
Rule #1 of the Mod Lounge...
     
-Q-
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 03:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm can see the walls of the Mod Lounge will be caked with the lingering curses of my name...
If there were a Mod Lounge, and there isn't, you're also assuming this hasn't been the case for years, already.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 03:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
What Mod Lounge? There is no Mod Lounge.
Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
If there were a Mod Lounge, and there isn't, you're also assuming this hasn't been the case for years, already.
Oh, you haven't been invited ? Ooops.
Seems like some mods are MORE equal than others.

Maybe it's an Admin Lounge

-t
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 04:46 PM
 
All discussions of a Mod Lounge should take place in the Mod ... er, never mind.

We need more white text in the world.
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 10:18 PM
 
My only comment. I post opinions like everyone else. The difference is, some of you people enjoy goading me and freak out about anything I post, because you're secretly in love with me. Then, when other members post a damn near identical comment/opinion, you people say nothing.

I don't get it. I like cars, I write about them as a side job, and I enjoy sharing my opinion about them. I'm not sure what you expect; you argue with me and basically proclaim that I am wrong or clueless, and then act surprised and annoyed when I respond.

Don't want threads derailing off topic? Read my comments and move on like you do with everyone else.
     
Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 10:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Then, when other members post a damn near identical comment/opinion, you people say nothing.
Please name one member here that shares your opinion (to the same extreme degree) on, well, just about anything. Also consider that there are maybe one or two other posters here that present their "opinions" in such a matter-of-fact and abrasive manner. Any responses you get will reflect the tone you project.

You also can't forget that you have a history here of pissing off pretty much everyone. You can't expect to act like a dick to just about everyone here and receive roses and kisses in return, no matter your current attitude.

I don't get it. I like cars, I write about them as a side job, and I enjoy sharing my opinion about them.
"Sharing my opinion"?

I'm not sure what you expect; you argue with me and basically proclaim that I am wrong or clueless, and then act surprised and annoyed when I respond.
I think you have you and everyone else switched around. Car threads generally go well until you come in and proclaim that everyone else is wrong or clueless.

I hope it's clear that my point with this post isn't to degrade or incite, but respond to specific points calmly and ensure that my position is "reasoned, measured and presented civilly."
     
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Night's Plutonian shore...
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 10:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
My only comment. I post opinions like everyone else. The difference is, some of you people enjoy goading me and freak out about anything I post, because you're secretly in love with me. Then, when other members post a damn near identical comment/opinion, you people say nothing.

I don't get it. I like cars, I write about them as a side job, and I enjoy sharing my opinion about them. I'm not sure what you expect; you argue with me and basically proclaim that I am wrong or clueless, and then act surprised and annoyed when I respond.

Don't want threads derailing off topic? Read my comments and move on like you do with everyone else.
Yes, that's the whole problem. It's not you, it's everyone else. People make you come into threads and shit all over other people's choice in vehicles, with an attitude that is both petulant, condescending, and at times completely retarded. Have you ever, even just for a moment, thought that maybe, just maybe, you are wrong? Because that happens far more than you seem to think it does.

I wasn't going to bother, but I'm sure he'll be reading this sooner rather than later, so I'll go ahead and reply.
Nemo me impune lacesset
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 10:48 PM
 
Some nice house cleaning going on tonight.

Haggle all you want about us having faith or a lack of it, but its going to be hard not to correlate the creation of this thread with "results."
     
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Status: Offline
Oct 4, 2010, 11:30 PM
 
Is there a reason a thread like this shouldn't end with "results"?

We listen. We sometimes even agree with people.
     
Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Oct 6, 2010, 08:02 PM
 
This thread delivers.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,