Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 2001 and Boblbee Delite bag

iBook 2001 and Boblbee Delite bag
aeteh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 08:42 AM

I just purchased an iBook (dual USB) - still waiting for it to arrive - and I am looking for a bag for it. Looking through the various laptop bags available, the Boblbee bag seems to appeal to me. Can anyone tell me if the latest iBook (dimensions 11.2" X 9.1" X 1.35") fits into the laptop compartment of the Boblbee Peoples Delite bag (not the Megapolis, which appears a tad big for me)? I would also appreciate any iBook user's experiences with the Delite - both good and bad... Any information will be much appreciated.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 01:54 PM

I have not used the bag you mentioned, but I went through a similar dilemma when I got my new iBook. I looked at a dozen different bags (look at older threads around mid-December). I finally settled on the MarWare PortFolio II. It's a super-small bag made of neoprent and rubber. It will hold the power brick in the internal pocket and a few CDs in the external pocket, but it's not for eavy travelling.

I accidently tested its protection this morning when putting on my coat. The shoulder strap slipped off my shoulder while I was contorting to get my coat on, and it fell to the floor (about 3 feet). The iBook was unmarked. It was $45.00 if you're interested.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Leaping Gnome
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2002, 07:30 PM

Any linkage for either of the bags? I'm still looking for a good one for mine. I really prefer backpacks and I like ones from www.spireusa.com and www.brenthaven.com, but both are kind of pricey.

nman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 07:45 PM

i have a boblbee people's delite bag and a dual usb ibook, and they work together perfectly. the ibook fits into the boblebee with no problems. i use it everyday going back and forth to school & work. i also fit my books in the boblbee no problem with the ibook in there as well.

macanonymous
Jan 14, 2002, 08:10 PM

nman-

Is there a ton of room in there for the iBook? A tight fit? What all do you carry in there?

Thanks!

aeteh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Leaping Gnome:
<STRONG>Any linkage for either of the bags? I'm still looking for a good one for mine. I really prefer backpacks and I like ones from www.spireusa.com and www.brenthaven.com, but both are kind of pricey.</STRONG>
Check out the boblbee web site: www.boblbee.com

aeteh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by nman:
<STRONG>i have a boblbee people's delite bag and a dual usb ibook, and they work together perfectly. the ibook fits into the boblebee with no problems. i use it everyday going back and forth to school & work. i also fit my books in the boblbee no problem with the ibook in there as well.</STRONG>
Thanks for that nman.

I am surprised that you can fit in so much in the Peoples Delite. Seemed to me like the bag has a small capacity. There was also a Delite owner in the Powerbook thread who mentioned inadequate protection for his Powerbook. Any comments about the level of protection the laptop compartment of the Delite offers? Do you use a sleeve or any extra padding in your Delite? Will the Delite's laptop compartment accommodate a sleeve with the iBook?

I just need to carry the iBook and the power adapter in the bag to work, so I guess the Delite would have sufficient space for them.

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
<STRONG>I have not used the bag you mentioned, but I went through a similar dilemma when I got my new iBook. I looked at a dozen different bags (look at older threads around mid-December). I finally settled on the MarWare PortFolio II. It's a super-small bag made of neoprent and rubber. It will hold the power brick in the internal pocket and a few CDs in the external pocket, but it's not for eavy travelling.

I accidently tested its protection this morning when putting on my coat. The shoulder strap slipped off my shoulder while I was contorting to get my coat on, and it fell to the floor (about 3 feet). The iBook was unmarked. It was $45.00 if you're interested.</STRONG>
Would you happen to have a link to the Marware Portfolio?

hobiecat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2002, 02:41 AM

While at MacWorld Expo in San Francisco last week I picked up Marware's Sportfolio II. I like it alot. I have a WaterField Cargo bag that I use when I need to carry peripherals and cables too, but if I'm only taking my iBook with me I use my Sportfolio II neoprene case. Perfect, snug fit.
http://www.marware.com/SportFolio_II.html

beamso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2002, 07:46 AM

I got a Crumpler bag for my iBook. It's called a Very Busy Man. Try www.crumplerusa.com

Naplander
Senior User
Jan 15, 2002, 08:30 AM

does anyone remember seeing that iBook laptop bag which had a clear section to show off the Apple logo?

That was an awsome bag, and a great idea.....

Anyone?
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

nman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2002, 02:38 PM

the fit is perfect, almost like it's made to carry it. not too snug, not loose at all. it wont move around at all when it's in there. with the ibook in there, i also carry a couple books for school and a notebook, no problem. it starts to get a bit full and heavy with more books though. all in all, plenty of room for other stuff besides the ibook.

as for protection, the boblbee has got to be the best bag ever for laptop protection. it's hardshell case makes it very durable. i've dropped it before with my ibook in it, and it's fine. i throw it in my car, and its also fine. i guess it would accomodate some sort of sleeve, but you wont need it at all. i dont use any extra padding, you'll see the boblbee provides plenty. the back has padding on it, and the laptop pouch in it holds it tight against the padding. no need for anything else.

hah, i sound like a boblbee salesperson. (i'm not) i just really like their products.

aeteh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2002, 11:41 AM

Thanks, nman.

You've convinced me

I placed my order for a Peoples Delite this morning. It appears that the bag is going to be compact enough for me to store it in one of the lockers at work (can't afford to lose my iBook and/or the Boblbee) and to carry on board a flight (Australian flight regulations are rather tough on the size of hand carry items), but with enough space to hold the iBook plus a few accessories safely. Most importantly for me, my back (I suffer from chronic back pain) will be spared from carrying either a conventional laptop case in one hand or a messenger back on one of my shoulders. The reviews that I have read on the boblbee all mention how comfortable the bag is, even though it is relatively heavy compared to most conventional laptop bags.

It cost me the equivalent of USD$140 for the bag, even after a 25% discount, so I really hope I'll like it. Certainly no other bag on the market comes close in terms of cosmetics.

I'll report on my initial thoughts when the bag (and the iBook) finally arrives.

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2002, 11:13 PM

hobiecat,

I was at MacWorld-SFO and saw the marware (MCE) bags for the iBooks. Very nice. I have a waterfield (SFBags) sleeve that I currently use for my iBook and use it inside an old Silicon Sports laptop backpack. In hindsight, I wish I had purchased one of the marware cases - kind of a cross between a sleeve and a laptop carry case. Very nice. Mind if I ask what you paid for it at MacWorld?

Thanks,
Ken

Originally posted by hobiecat:
<STRONG>While at MacWorld Expo in San Francisco last week I picked up Marware's Sportfolio II. I like it alot. I have a WaterField Cargo bag that I use when I need to carry peripherals and cables too, but if I'm only taking my iBook with me I use my Sportfolio II neoprene case. Perfect, snug fit.
http://www.marware.com/SportFolio_II.html</STRONG>
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

[email protected]
Jan 16, 2002, 11:28 PM

For what it's worth, I found an Eastpak brand back pack at Target of all places. It has a sleeve built into the back of the back pack on the inside that fits the iBook perfectly. It's not a sleeve you take out, it's attached to the back pack. The sleeve doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the bag so the iBook never touches the floor of the bag (does that makes sense?). It has a velcro latch to keep the iBook snug. It's a very sturdy back pack.

I went to www.eastpak.com and couldn't find my particular one, but did find one with a computer sleeve built in:
http://www.eastpak.com/usa/Chaos/soundbyte.asp

It looks pretty cool.

Luke
BOOMER SOONER!
BEAT THE JAYHAWKS!!!!

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 03:48 PM

I just received my Sleeve from Timbuk2 today as they have resized their laptop sleeves to now fit perfectly the iBook dual USB (small sleeve) and the 14" iBook (medium sleeve). I can honestly say that the bag I have received is awesome. It fits the iBook perfectly and is beautifully made. This bag isn't for everyone: it is just a sleeve, has no closure over the top in case it rains, and has NO space for anything other than the iBook. That means no cables, extra battery, or even room for a couple of CDs! BUT this bag is meant to be used in conjunction with their other bags or, as I plan to use it, put inside other bags occasionally if the weather is bad or when I plan to carry cables, etc. I like the ability of throwing it in a rotten old bag that no one would suspect carries anything worth stealing and know that it is protected. I plan someday to get a Commuter Computer bag that fits the sleeve from Timbuk2. Check out the virtual bag builder: these guys have an awesome web site and awesome products!
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

hobiecat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2002, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by ATC Ken:
<STRONG>hobiecat,

I was at MacWorld-SFO and saw the marware (MCE) bags for the iBooks. Very nice. I have a waterfield (SFBags) sleeve that I currently use for my iBook and use it inside an old Silicon Sports laptop backpack. In hindsight, I wish I had purchased one of the marware cases - kind of a cross between a sleeve and a laptop carry case. Very nice. Mind if I ask what you paid for it at MacWorld?

Thanks,
Ken

</STRONG>
I paid $39 for the Marware Sportfolio II for my iBook at the MCE booth at MacWorld Expo. Lucked out because I almost bought it online for list price from the manufacturer, MarWare (plus I would have had to pay for shipping).

robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2002, 11:35 PM

I just throw my dual usb ibook into my big red jansport bag with all my other crap when I go to school. The power adaptor's cool too as long as there isn't a spilled can of coke in some other compartment... No problems yet

:o

Forum Links
Forum Rules