Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm going to buy an ibook

I'm going to buy an ibook
jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2004, 02:03 PM

I've been following this forum for quite a while now, reading up on all the advice you've been giving. It's been great.

I've been working with a Powermac G4 at work, but with a Sony Vaio at home. I'm finally going to dish out the cash for an ibook to use as my main computer. I'm planning on getting the 14'' tft, combo drive, upgraded 80gb hd. Plus, a 512mb upgrade from newegg. I'm going to wait until the Friday after thanksgiving because of a possible sale (http://www.apple.com/retail/thanksgiving).

I had a couple of questions before I make my order:

1. Is the online Apple store the best deal I can get, considering that I'm going to upgrade the HD, and since I missed the Amazon rebate? (I am eligible for the student discount)

2. I plan on getting Airport Express. I have an Altec Lansing 2100 speaker system that I've been using for my PC. Can I directly plug in these speakers system to AP Express?

3. I read that iTunes will automatically recognize the speakers I plug into AP Express and make it possible to play my music. Does this mean that the speakers will only work when I use iTunes? Ideally, I would like the speakers to always work (watching video files, dvds, web surfing) through AP. Basically what I want to know is if connecting my speakers to AP will be the same as directly connecting to the ibook.

Thanks
( Last edited by jaimzedup; Nov 23, 2004 at 12:37 PM. )

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by jaimzedup:
[B]I've been following this forum for quite a while now, reading up on all the advice you've been giving. It's been great.
YEAH, I GET ALL MY ADVICE FROM THESE CRAZY CATS!

I've been working with a Powermac G4 at work, but with a Sony Vaio at home. I'm finally going to dish out the cash for an ibook to use as my main computer. I'm planning on getting the 14'' tft, combo drive, upgraded 80gb hd. Plus, a 512mb upgrade from newegg. I'm going to wait until the Friday after thanksgiving because of a possible sale (http://www.apple.com/retail/thanksgiving).
GOOD MAN, CONGRATS AND WELCOME TO THE FOLD.
I had a couple of questions before I make my order:

1. Is the online Apple store the best deal I can get, considering that I'm going to upgrade the HD, and since I missed the Amazon rebate? (I am eligible for the student discount).
THERE ARE OTHER PLACES, BUT SINCE YOU'RE USING THE HD UPGRADE, APPLE MIGHT BE THE RIGHT PLACE. MACMALL IS ALSO GOOD, I'M SURE OTHERS WILL RECOMMEND OTHER SITES.

2. I plan on getting Airport Express. I have an Altec Lansing 2100 speaker system that I've been using for my PC. Can I directly plug in these speakers system to AP Express?
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE CONNECTION CABLE. I RECOMMEND MONSTER CABLES FROM RADIO SHACK ($15) OR THE CHEAPEST ($6) WILL ALSO WORK.

3. I read that iTunes will automatically recognize the speakers I plug into AP Express and make it possible to play my music. Does this mean that the speakers will only work when I use iTunes? Ideally, I would like the speakers to always work (watching video files, dvds, web surfing) through AP. Basically what I want to know is if connecting my speakers to AP will be the same as directly connecting to the ibook.
A.P WILL ONLY WORK FOR ITUNES, AT THE MOMENT, UNLESS SOMEONE HAS FOUND A USEABLE HACK TO USE ALL PROGRAMS A LIKE. IN SHORT, AP WILL ONLY WORK WITH ITUNES. MOVIES WILL STILL PLAY OUT OF YOUR COMPUTER...

BUT THEN YOU COULD USE THE SAME CONNECTION CABLES AND PLUG IT TO YOUR COMPUTER, THEN YOUR SPEAKERS WOULD WORK.

Edit: Now, that I think about it, I didn't need to use the caps. Oh, well.
( Last edited by historylme; Nov 22, 2004 at 02:45 PM. )

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2004, 03:02 PM

errr

that's pretty disappointing to know that my speakers will only work with iTunes. This will prevent me from keeping my workspace truly wireless...

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2004, 03:06 PM

Does anyone know if this promo is still available?

http://www.macnn.com/news/26978

I couldn't find it on the Apple site.

Maybe someone has saved the coupon...

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 10:50 AM

Does anyone know if this promo is still available?

http://www.macnn.com/news/26978

I couldn't find it on the Apple site.

Maybe someone has saved the coupon...
I looked for it last night, couldn't find it, then I noticed this line of text in the Macnn news posting:

"began offering select customers a coupon worth $100 off their next order of $700 or more"
Troy Murray

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by troymurray:
I looked for it last night, couldn't find it, then I noticed this line of text in the Macnn news posting:

"began offering select customers a coupon worth $100 off their next order of $700 or more"
I see. Thanks.

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by history1me:

A.P WILL ONLY WORK FOR ITUNES, AT THE MOMENT, UNLESS SOMEONE HAS FOUND A USEABLE HACK TO USE ALL PROGRAMS A LIKE. IN SHORT, AP WILL ONLY WORK WITH ITUNES. MOVIES WILL STILL PLAY OUT OF YOUR COMPUTER...

BUT THEN YOU COULD USE THE SAME CONNECTION CABLES AND PLUG IT TO YOUR COMPUTER, THEN YOUR SPEAKERS WOULD WORK.
Does anyone know of any wireless routers (similar to AP Express) that will allow me a "direct" connection with my speakers (without excluding the ethernet connection and usb for printer)? I'm new to the whole wi-fi thing, and AP Express is the only wireless device that I actually have any knowledge of. Thanks.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 02:10 PM

Does anyone know of any wireless routers (similar to AP Express) that will allow me a "direct" connection with my speakers (without excluding the ethernet connection and usb for printer)? I'm new to the whole wi-fi thing, and AP Express is the only wireless device that I actually have any knowledge of. Thanks.
I know of none.
Troy Murray

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2004, 12:05 AM

I've read about some of the really long shipping times for the ibooks from amazon. I've never bought from the Apple online store, how long of a wait should I expect from the date of purchase???
( Last edited by jaimzedup; Nov 26, 2004 at 05:38 PM. )

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2004, 05:39 PM

anyone?

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2004, 10:34 PM

I got my iBook during the amazon blitz. I opted for standard shipping (not free super-saver) - ordered on a Thursday and it arrived the following Tuesday. I believe there was some backlog with people who opted for super-saver shipping.

If the apple store online has them in stock, delivery is usually within a couple days (got my refurb G5 that way), although I believe you have choices for overnight, etc.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2004, 08:44 AM

I've read about some of the really long shipping times for the ibooks from amazon. I've never bought from the Apple online store, how long of a wait should I expect from the date of purchase???
My hold up was using the Amazon VISA card. After sending a long e-mail detailing my experience with the whole thing, Amazon bumped me up to free 2nd day shipping. I received the iBook sooner then what the Amazon.com site said.
Troy Murray

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by troymurray:
My hold up was using the Amazon VISA card. After sending a long e-mail detailing my experience with the whole thing, Amazon bumped me up to free 2nd day shipping. I received the iBook sooner then what the Amazon.com site said.
I bitched and complained until it finally went through.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2004, 03:28 PM

I ordered a PB G4 12" om Wed. Morning via the Apple website and paid for next day shipping once it was shipped.
To my amazement my turkey had not even digested when it arrived on Friday morning!

It was however incomplete as it had no discs or documentation at all.
I spent an hour trying to relate this to Apple and they are sending the stuff via standard shipping as though they were doing me some kind of favor or something.

I am just amazed at how fast it arrived.

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2004, 10:40 PM

It's official. I'm now going to be a proud owner of an ibook.

I bought an Airport Express on the day after Thanksgiving sale (it was too good of a deal to pass up).

Put in my ibook order this morning. I opted for the 14'' with a 80gb hdd plus the free (with rebate) Epson printer.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 10:46 PM

It's official. I'm now going to be a proud owner of an ibook.

I bought an Airport Express on the day after Thanksgiving sale (it was too good of a deal to pass up).

Put in my ibook order this morning. I opted for the 14'' with a 80gb hdd plus the free (with rebate) Epson printer.
I purchased the 12", but I'm lovin it and so will you!
Troy Murray

iv_zar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 09:12 PM

I am also looking to buy a ibook with the works and was wondering what would be good to get also
I have a airport express
So is there any other hardware that is really suited to the ibook

I was looking at an isight

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by iv_zar:
I am also looking to buy a ibook with the works and was wondering what would be good to get also
I have a airport express
So is there any other hardware that is really suited to the ibook

I was looking at an isight
A carrying case/bag or a sleeve.

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by history1me:
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE CONNECTION CABLE. I RECOMMEND MONSTER CABLES FROM RADIO SHACK ($15) OR THE CHEAPEST ($6) WILL ALSO WORK.
Can anyone link me to the connection cable that will allow me to connect my Altec Lansing 2100s to Airport Express? Buying the whole monster cable set seems like overkill. Thanks.

LukeGX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 06:57 PM

Did you get a 1/8"-to-RCA converter with your speakers?

Not sure exactly what plugs are on the Altec Lansing 2100s but all you need is something that goes from the back of the 2100s to a 1.8" plug (like the mini ones on headphones).
60GB iPod Photo
350Mhz G3 B/W Tower 448MBRAM 7GB 40GB DVDRW OSX 10.3
XP2700 1GBRAM TI4200 40GB 200GB SATA RAID 1

gzeus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2004, 04:24 PM

3. I read that iTunes will automatically recognize the speakers I plug into AP Express and make it possible to play my music. Does this mean that the speakers will only work when I use iTunes? Ideally, I would like the speakers to always work (watching video files, dvds, web surfing) through AP.
Thanks
Using Nicecast , you can redirect any app's sound to iTunes and therefore out through AP Express.
See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=102652 for details.

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by LukeGX:
Did you get a 1/8"-to-RCA converter with your speakers?

Not sure exactly what plugs are on the Altec Lansing 2100s but all you need is something that goes from the back of the 2100s to a 1.8" plug (like the mini ones on headphones).
I tried describing what I needed to the guy at Radio Shack and he was no help, and I couldn't find it on my own. Can someone link me to the adapter (I'm still not too sure which one it is) I need so I can just buy it online? Thanks.

LukeGX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2005, 05:13 AM

tried describing what I needed to the guy at Radio Shack and he was no help, and I couldn't find it on my own. Can someone link me to the adapter (I'm still not too sure which one it is) I need so I can just buy it online? Thanks.
Its pretty hard to work out what you need because I have never seen the product. Anyway I managed to download the manual for the 2100 from Antec Lansing.

After much mucking around on the web I have worked out that you should have a cable that came with your speakers and is about 6ft long with lime green plugs on each end. Plug one end into your speakers (plug labelled "front") and the other into the airport express.

That should be it. BTW I couldnt actually find a manual for a 2100s, only for a 2100. I dont know what the difference is.
60GB iPod Photo
350Mhz G3 B/W Tower 448MBRAM 7GB 40GB DVDRW OSX 10.3
XP2700 1GBRAM TI4200 40GB 200GB SATA RAID 1

jaimzedup  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2005, 07:23 PM

Thanks very much, I have everything working now. I didn't need an adapter, I needed to find the cable you mentioned and everything was fine. Thanks again.

btw, I meant to type 2100's, not 2100s.

Forum Links
Forum Rules