Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook G4 performance under mac os X Tiger??!!

ibook G4 performance under mac os X Tiger??!!
maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2005, 03:31 AM

i have known under mac Os X Tiger, all the ibook users are going to miss Core image, according to the graphic card(, and i have got some other questions about the performace of ibook under Tiger:
Do ibook users really LOST something from CoreImage of Tiger?
Do ibook users need more memory to support Tiger?(Mim requriement)
Do ibook users feel "SLOW" when running Tiger?
i just can not come up with sorts of other questions, if some one want to add to my list, it would be really nice for all ibook user)

Sorry i am not sure which forum should i post, ibook, or Mac os, as i am only talking about ibook user, i just stick with ibook forum, if i got it wrong,moderator please remove the post to appropriate place, thank you)

i am a kind new to Mac, if something above is not going right please correct me and forgive me

thx
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 04:27 AM

Your iBook will be fine in tiger. You won't notice the difference between 10.3 and 10.4 speedwise (to the rest of you that say it's "snappier", well you're insane)

Anyway, I really think this CoreImage worry is getting over done. I don't see CoreImage being wildly used for a long time.

fastback
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2005, 11:15 AM

What is Core Image?

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 11:45 AM

Apple's page on Core Image. Offloading more processing to the GPU whenever possible.

EDIT: I agree with "Hi I'm Ben". Tiger will have APIs that will make certain GUI processing faster for machines with newer video chipsets but backward-compatability for machines without them. It's analogous to Quartz Extreme (nice to have...my PowerBook supports it...but not completely necessary).

Voch

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2005, 06:21 AM

Someone told me that the entire GUI will be pocessed by the graphics card, not the CPU like under Panther. That will allow for some really cool new visual effects, but I doubt the iBook/eMac/Mac mini's Radeon 9200 will be up to the task. I guess we'll have to live without the pretty bits?
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Phiber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2005, 09:26 AM

I'm not buying an Apple for its pretty effects, I am buying it for functionality. Even though the promise of wonderfully different flash and bang tugs at the heart strings, I am pretty sure I can be content with the regular old OSX look and feel. In any case, it still looks (and performs) better than Windows XP.
01110011011011100110111101110111011000110111001001 1000010111001101101000

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Phiber:
I'm not buying an Apple for its pretty effects, I am buying it for functionality. Even though the promise of wonderfully different flash and bang tugs at the heart strings, I am pretty sure I can be content with the regular old OSX look and feel. In any case, it still looks (and performs) better than Windows XP.
With CoreImage, it will perform even better. In offloading additional tasks to the GPU, that's more stuff that the CPU doesn't have to do, which frees it up to do other things that it does have to do. The flashy visual effects are just nifty examples of things that can be done with the technology--without tying up the processor. So, if you have a machine that does not support CoreImage, it will run slower than an identical machine that does support CoreImage--because the processor has to do less of the work on the machine that has the better graphics card.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Phiber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 06:34 PM

It would seem to me that the program in question qould have to be optimised to run better under this CoreImage. Or perhaps I am interpreting it wrong?
01110011011011100110111101110111011000110111001001 1000010111001101101000

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
With CoreImage, it will perform even better. In offloading additional tasks to the GPU, that's more stuff that the CPU doesn't have to do, which frees it up to do other things that it does have to do. The flashy visual effects are just nifty examples of things that can be done with the technology--without tying up the processor. So, if you have a machine that does not support CoreImage, it will run slower than an identical machine that does support CoreImage--because the processor has to do less of the work on the machine that has the better graphics card.
so, simply put, our G4 ibooks will be able to make use of the GPU like this or not?

the GPU seems to get plenty hot already sometimes... will that not increase under coreimage?

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 11:35 PM

From reading what I know about CoreImage (no worries, feel free to correct if it's wrong...).

With you iBook G4 it should work as it does now, no big difference in speed. BUT for peeps who have a GPU that meets CoreImages standards, THEY should notice a speed improvement. So, if you like how you iBook runs now under Panther (meaning that it's fast enough), then you'll be happy with Tiger. Now, when you get Tiger later in March/April and pop in the CD and expecting more snappiness (from the Finder in relation to CoreImage), you'll be disappointed.

Now, who is going to benefit from CoreImage?

Everyday users whose GPUs meet the requirements MAY notice speedups in iPhoto and working with Photoshop.

Those who will notice it the most are those power users working in such video apps as Motion and Final Cut HD. THEY WILL see (and need) the speed updates. Ok, so you think that's cool, but, how many of you use Motion regularly on your iBook?

Excactly, don't worry about it. Enjoy your iBook. If anything, drool about those rumours of the iBook G5's. (I'm serious, at the longest, they should be out in two years, in time for must of you upgrading....).

Best,
Echo
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jan 31, 2005, 05:51 PM

I'm feeling that my G3 800MHz iBook will actually be faster in Tiger. That has been the way with every previous iteration of OS X, as things have been tweaked and all that, so I don't see why it shouldn't happen again .

As for core image, it really just means our machines won't do such things nearly as quickly as the newest and best ones ... which is no great surprise.

We will also of course have access to all of the new features, designed, as usual, to speed up our workflow, which will make the machine seem quicker even if it isn't physically!

What I think will be a big question is: when Tiger comes out, will it make more sense to just upgrade from Panther or to actually get a whole new machine, saving on Tiger and iLife '05 and getting a nice speed boost in the process ... of course it's different if you're already running a G4 iBook .

Xaero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 01:51 PM

When do you all expect the iBooks to start shipping with tiger?

Powerbook 15" coming soon...

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Xaero:
When do you all expect the iBooks to start shipping with tiger?
Probably the week or so after Tiger is officially shipped. I don't see Apple holding back on it for iBook folks...if anything it'll be as fast or faster than Panther.

Voch

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 03:20 PM

I recall people commenting, maybe not here, with regards to Tiger that many of the previewed features may not be available for the current line of iBooks.

One particular feature was that watery ripple effect that happened when Steve activated Dashboard. The argument there being that this effect was perhaps as a result of effective core imaging.

Well if you have iPhoto '05 you will see one of the slide transitions is infact that same ripple effect and it also is available in iMovie. It works beautifully on my iBook (it managed to wow a peecee using friend of mine lol).

I wouldn't be too concerned about Tiger. People had the same concerns about Panther and I hardly believe Apple are going to make an entire series of computers (Mac Mini's included) obsolete due to a new operating system.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

yikes600
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
As for core image, it really just means our machines won't do such things nearly as quickly as the newest and best ones ... which is no great surprise.
Not true. For macs with GPUs incapabile of the Core Image shaders, they will not render the effects at all. It has nothing to do with speed. If you've seen Apple demo Dashboard, for example, they drag a widget out of the widget-dock, and plop it on the screen sending a ripple effect across the screen like dropping a stone in a pond. Macs with GPU's incapable of CoreImage simply won't show anything. It's similar to Quartz Extreme's spinning-cube-effect during fast user switching. Macs with Quartz Extreme enabled GPUs will spin, while GPU's not supported simply turn the eye candy off.
To use Core Image, you need a GPU capable of pixel/vertex 2.0+ shaders (something the Radeon 9200 can't do).

Xaero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Voch:
Probably the week or so after Tiger is officially shipped.
When will that be?

Powerbook 15" coming soon...

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 08:10 PM

your guess is as good as anyones,,,,lol
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 08:24 PM

Well Steve said first half of 2005 so probably June 29th
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

robco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2005, 04:33 PM

For computers without a programmable GPU, Core Image dynamically optimizes for the CPU, automatically tuning for Velocity Engine and multiple processors as appropriate.
So not left out in the cold. The new Core Image page no longer lists specific GPUs. The 9200 Mobility is a programmable GPU, so it is possible that it will work for many of the Core Image effects.

Tiger isn't even a beta yet, so it's still too early to tell.
TAFKADB

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 05:54 PM

Anyone here have access to the developer builds of Tiger and have actually tried it on a iBook?

Didn't Amazon have a ship date for the middle of April when it was first listed?
Troy Murray

MartiNZ
Senior User
Feb 8, 2005, 08:50 PM

I believe they said 31st march, but that no longer seems realistic.

I was trying to find that list of supported graphics cards yesterday as well ... interesting omission I think!

bherskovitz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 10:32 AM

I installed the latest beta on my iBook G4 800 w/640MB RAM. It was noticably faster than 10.3.8. What I mean by this is that windows opened and populated quicker than 10.3 and programs opened and executed operations faster. At least it seemed faster to my unscientific way of monitoring it. I was able to see all of the nice eye candy with Dashboard so I am assuming Core Image is running. Back to 10.3.8 for working, I can't wait for this to be released!

Brian

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
So, if you have a machine that does not support CoreImage, it will run slower than an identical machine that does support CoreImage--because the processor has to do less of the work on the machine that has the better graphics card.
My iBook 500 with an 8MB graphics card can't wait!

Forum Links
Forum Rules