Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 1 GB iPod nano is out (US$149/CAD$179/£109.00/€168.99/¥17,800)

1 GB iPod nano is out (US$149/CAD$179/£109.00/€168.99/¥17,800)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 7, 2006, 12:32 PM

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060207/sftu067.html?.v=41

CUPERTINO, Calif., Feb. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today unveiled a new 1GB iPod® nano for just $149, offering the same features as the 2GB and 4GB iPod nano models and holding up to 240 songs or 15,000 photos. The new 1GB iPod nano's ultra-portable design is thinner than a #2 pencil and features Apple's patent pending Click Wheel and the same gorgeous color screen as the other iPod nano models. In addition, Apple announced that the iPod shuffle is now more affordable than ever with the 512MB and 1GB models priced at $69 and $99 respectively.

"Now everyone can afford an iPod nano, with our new 1GB model starting at just $149," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "The iPod is the world's most popular digital music player with over 40 million sold, and now even more music lovers can experience the unrivaled combination of iPod and iTunes."

I kinda want an 8 GB iPod nano myself though... Either that or else an iPod that can do 640x480 via the TV out. My 6 GB iPod mini will continue to serve me fine for the interim.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Feb 7, 2006 at 12:45 PM. )

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I kinda want an 8 GB iPod nano myself though... Either that or else an iPod that can do 640x480 via the TV out. My 6 GB iPod mini will continue to serve me fine for the interim.
Exactly; I have a 4 gig mini and Apple seem to be going backwards in the small form factor, no capacity increases and no gapless playback

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 02:41 PM

the 1 GB iPod nano is €159 in my country, nevertheless that is over $190…

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Exactly; I have a 4 gig mini and Apple seem to be going backwards in the small form factor, no capacity increases and no gapless playback
I have been told that gapless playback isn't actually all that easy to do for MP3 or AAC (unless you use specific encoders like LAME).

There are other players that kind of fake gapless playback with standard MP3, but they're not perfect by any means.

Originally Posted by angelmb
the 1 GB iPod nano is €159 in my country, nevertheless that is over $190…
FWIW, the US pricing doesn't including tax.

volcano
Senior User
Feb 7, 2006, 04:53 PM

I'm sure we'll see 6GB Nano's eventually - but for now, the price for flash chips with that capacity are still steep.

Now I have a hard decision to make. Initially, I was going to wait for the next revision of Shuffles to buy one: but now with a 1GB Nano for only $149, I can't decide. Plus, the Shuffle models are very tempting with their low price points - especially the 1GB model for only $89 w/ my educational discount.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2006, 05:01 PM

My GF's mom has the shuffle. My GF has the nano. There is absolutely no comparison. I really don't like the shuffle much. The only benefit of the shuffle is that you can use it as a USB pen drive.

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2006, 07:32 PM

WRONG.... there's another MORE important advantage to the Shuffle: I use it every day and charge it once every 2 weeks. My co-workers all have nanos and are charging them every DAY. The color screen and backlight KILL battery power. I didn't think I'd be able to get by with the shuffle but I don't even USE my big ipod any more.. just create the playlist in itunes and BAM... play it on the shuffle.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 07:51 PM

I have a Shuffle and don't like it at all. I would rather have a screen. Mine is nothing more than a glorified flash drive. I will stick to my regular iPod.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 06:16 AM

I think Eug forgot a couple of shuffle advantages there. I have owned every iPod there is and I kept just two. The 60GB iPod and the shuffle.

IMHO the huge advantage of the shuffle over the nano is that it can be controlled blind and through clothes. I put it in my pocket when I walk across the campus and listen to some music. Along the way I bump into a student who wants to ask me something. I hit the pause button through my pants without even looking. We chat. When I'm done, I hit the pause button again blindly and keep on listening. Or I change volume on the fly without even taking a glance. That's something no other iPod offers. Unless you buy the remote. In the case of the nano, the remote doesn't even ship yet, and when it finally does, it's an expensive add-on.

This is the reason I'd never give up on my shuffle. The nano is a great iPod and when I get a remote for it I'm probably gonna keep the one I just bought for testing, but I'll keep the shuffle for sure. It's got great battery, great controls (the LED feedback sucks though) and it's very affordable. It's not a match for the 5G iPod, but it definitely serves a fine purpose of its own.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 8, 2006 at 08:56 AM. )

Dr.Michael
Feb 8, 2006, 08:51 AM

Yes, thats also my impression. Since the 4 GB mini came out I waited for a 8-10 GB mini. I was very disappointed to see the mini go. Now the nano is the replacement with again only 4GB. Although my 1gen, 5GB iPod is much bigger, I don't use it that often to justify the purchase of a smaller iPod with less drive space (and in the end it is small and light enough).

What I need is not an always smaller iPod, but a small iPod with accepptable memory.

Simon, you have a good point. I also thought about a shuffle because I think that it can be very usable (rugged, long lasting battery, easy to handle, cheap). Plus it can serve as a usb drive (I still use a Thinkpad at work and need an external 2.5 inch drive to carry data home to my powerbook).

A 1GB Nano would be a great thing, though, if its memory were upgradeable. Cheap entrance and long use.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 11:42 AM

I have been told that gapless playback isn't actually all that easy to do for MP3 or AAC (unless you use specific encoders like LAME).

There are other players that kind of fake gapless playback with standard MP3, but they're not perfect by any means.
You are correct that it isn't easy to do; the Mp3 and AAC file formats themselves do not support gapless playback; the player OS has to compensate and run the tracks together for a split second.

However, it's not impossible; the Rio Karma had gapless, as does the Rockbox firmware (now available for some iPods).

yticolev
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2006, 02:20 PM

Did you see this modification to turn a 4GB into an 8GB? Apparently there is an extra RAM slot in the Nano and you can double up. Good chance it is just a hoax though.

http://multiarcade.com/
( Last edited by yticolev; Feb 8, 2006 at 02:26 PM. )

Hamamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 02:30 PM

I'm curious what some of you think about this. I got a 30g video ipod at Christmas (month and half ago) and have not yet used it.

Would you take it back to Apple and see if they'd exchange it for this new nano? This nano sounds pretty darn good--smaller and does photos. Guess no video would be the only loss.

Just curious what others would do.

Hamamac

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hamamac
I'm curious what some of you think about this. I got a 30g video ipod at Christmas (month and half ago) and have not yet used it.

Would you take it back to Apple and see if they'd exchange it for this new nano? This nano sounds pretty darn good--smaller and does photos. Guess no video would be the only loss.

Just curious what others would do.

Hamamac

I highly doubt they would take it back even if it is unopened after this amount of time. You could always try.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by yticolev
Did you see this modification to turn a 4GB into an 8GB? Apparently there is an extra RAM slot in the Nano and you can double up. Good chance it is just a hoax though.

http://multiarcade.com/
I doubt it's a hoax. It makes perfect sense. I don't want to be hacking a brand new nano though, esp. since I'm not a soldering guru.

Originally Posted by Simon
I think Eug forgot a couple of shuffle advantages there. I have owned every iPod there is and I kept just two. The 60GB iPod and the shuffle.

IMHO the huge advantage of the shuffle over the nano is that it can be controlled blind and through clothes. I put it in my pocket when I walk across the campus and listen to some music. Along the way I bump into a student who wants to ask me something. I hit the pause button through my pants without even looking. We chat. When I'm done, I hit the pause button again blindly and keep on listening. Or I change volume on the fly without even taking a glance. That's something no other iPod offers. Unless you buy the remote. In the case of the nano, the remote doesn't even ship yet, and when it finally does, it's an expensive add-on.
I agree the shuffle is very easy to control.

That said, I can control my mini blindly, if all I'm doing is advancing and pausing, or adjusting the volume. Also, one can use a remote with the mini if desired.

And you can even do it through clothes!

porieux
Baninated
Feb 9, 2006, 08:53 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 06:49 AM. )

freudling
Banned
Feb 10, 2006, 12:55 AM

Why backwards? Is it really $50US more to produce a 2 GB over a 1 GB? It seems absurd to offer something as sleek and technologically proficient as the iPod Nano in a meager 1 GB version. It is like providing a beautiful car without the seats.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by freudling
Why backwards? Is it really $50US more to produce a 2 GB over a 1 GB?
Of course it isn't. Is Apple obliged to have the same absolute profit margin on each model of the nano? w/r/t to factors in setting retail price, cost of production is probably far less important than 1) what people are willing to pay and 2) an acceptable minimum profit margin. They might both cost $12 to produce, but if enough people think the end product is worth $150, why sell it for less?

It seems absurd to offer something as sleek and technologically proficient as the iPod Nano in a meager 1 GB version...
Except there are probably people out there who want an iPod with a screen and can't justify spending $200 on it, whether they're saving up for something particularly important, or have a lot of other expenses, or just don't make much money. A 50-dollar savings can be a substantial motivation to go ahead and get a nano. 50 bucks can get you a lot of groceries.

So Apple gets more sales, more people get their nanos. Everyone's happy, except, I guess, for you—though why it should bother you is actually pretty baffling.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2006, 02:51 PM

Anyone know if I purchase the iPod Nano, can I sync it with my home PC and then take it to work, connect it into my work PC and play the music on that computer off the iPod Nano without having to copy the music to the work computer?
Troy Murray

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2006, 03:03 PM

Anyone know if I purchase the iPod Nano, can I sync it with my home PC and then take it to work, connect it into my work PC and play the music on that computer off the iPod Nano without having to copy the music to the work computer?
Troy Murray

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 03:39 PM

When you plug it into your work pc it is going to tell you it is "registered" with a different computer and if you would like to sync it to that computer. clicking yes will wipe out the nano and put whatever is on yuor work pc onto the nano.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2006, 03:47 PM

And if I tell it "no" will I be able to play the songs on the Nano?
Troy Murray

yticolev
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by troymurray
And if I tell it "no" will I be able to play the songs on the Nano?
If you have a mike input on your computer, you can play any audio source without issues. Just cable the headphone output on any device.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2006, 10:17 AM

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.
Troy Murray

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006, 05:55 PM

Yes you can play music from the Nano... You do not have to copy songs. You also don't NEED to sync to the computer. Just put it on manual updating. I listen and play videos right from my 5G iPod and I used to have a Nano that I could do the same thing on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules