Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Firmware Update for fan released!

MacBook Firmware Update for fan released! (Page 2)
Ouhei
Aug 18, 2006, 05:54 PM

With my 20.1" BenQ hooked up and with adium, safari, itunes, and transmission (downloading 3 torrents) I'm hovering around 53C, my Idle was always around 48-50, but it seems to keep cooler under loads now.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 06:13 PM

No, it will not fix heat.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by n8236
No, it will not fix heat.
What are you on about? Nearly everyone, including myself, are reporting dramatic temperature drops, both processor and actual case temps
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

masugu
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 07:35 PM

So the big question is 10 degrees C a huge improvement???
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Ouhei
Aug 18, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
So the big question is 10 degrees C a huge improvement???
Uh, yes, I would think that would be obvious.

masugu
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ouhei
Uh, yes, I would think that would be obvious.
Not so in my book. Seems like lots of other folks have much lower temps...Maybe I should ask if 62 degrees c is good for pumping to a monitor, a couple browser windows, word etc

Ouhei
Aug 18, 2006, 11:24 PM

Not so in my book. Seems like lots of other folks have much lower temps...Maybe I should ask if 62 degrees c is good for pumping to a monitor, a couple browser windows, word etc
Peoples temps vary, but if your asking if 10C (roughly 20F) temp drops are an improvement, that should be obvious.

masugu
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ouhei
Peoples temps vary, but if your asking if 10C (roughly 20F) temp drops are an improvement, that should be obvious.

Well what is average? If 60 degrees is still high, a 10 degree drop is not much.

Ouhei
Aug 18, 2006, 11:47 PM

Well what is average? If 60 degrees is still high, a 10 degree drop is not much.
60 is on the high end, but that doesn't make the 10C drop in temps any less of an improvement, just means your moving from 70 to 60 instead of 60 to 50 or whatever.

My idle temps havent changed at all, but under load its not raising up all that much now, which is what I think the update is meant to do.

luckyjoe
Aug 19, 2006, 09:15 AM

My MacBook arived on 15-August. It had the update from the factory. For the last four days I've been thinking that the upper left corner of the keyboard was (subjectively) hot. I also only installed CoreDuaTemp last night, so I have no data to compare. However, if people are seeing a 10dg.C drop with this update, I simply cannot imagine how hot those 'books were running!

I'll watch the temps over the next week and shoot the exterior with an IR thermometer when I feel it's really hot.

Regards,

Tom P.

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by luckyjoe
I simply cannot imagine how hot those 'books were running!
Tom P.
Maybe this can give you an idea. I would use my MacBook on a laptop desk sitting on my lap and after about 60 minutes I could feel some serious heat that had transfered from the MacBook to the laptop desk.

No problems like that now, in fact I used my MacBook on my lap Thursday night after applying the update for almost 2 hours and the heat was present but not uncomfortable.
Troy Murray

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2006, 11:52 AM

ok, this update really does help. my book is noticeably cooler, not sure about temps as i don't get into that type of stuff...but def. cooler.

as far as the moo, won't know until later today when im working, but it never really bothered me, it was hard to hear anyway.

GREAT JOB APPLE

masugu
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 12:32 PM

Well, I still want more time to eval this fix when my MB is not hooked up to my monitor. I think it runs a fair bit cooler then. Yes. I guess 10 degrees is good....I was just hoping that whatever new temps we experience are more in line with other best of class laptops.

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by luckyjoe
I simply cannot imagine how hot those 'books were running!
It was a scorcher completely unuseable on my lap for long periods of times. In fact I stopped using on my lap in fear of becoming unfertile.... jk
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

luckyjoe
Aug 19, 2006, 12:53 PM

Even with the update installed out-of-the-box, the table top will still pick up a lot of heat from my MB. As I said, I'll have to monitor the temps not that I have CoreDuoTemp...

Tom P.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 01:08 PM

How do you now it is installed out of the box? Have you run software update to check?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
How do you now it is installed out of the box? Have you run software update to check?
The information is available through System Profiler. SMC Version number should read 1.4f10.

scattered
Aug 19, 2006, 02:45 PM

Is the apparent average of 60 degrees you guys are talking about the C the F temperature? Because mine has been running around 20C all day today (altho I've only been doing some webrowsing) and yesterday before I applied the update it was in the 60C range.

deslock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by scattered
Is the apparent average of 60 degrees you guys are talking about the C the F temperature? Because mine has been running around 20C all day today (altho I've only been doing some webrowsing) and yesterday before I applied the update it was in the 60C range.
60C before the update and 20C after the update? I assume that's a typo as even when my CPU is throttled back to 1.5GHz under light use, my cores are running around 50-55C (and the Macbook's SMART disk is around 32C).

scattered
Aug 19, 2006, 04:11 PM

Nope. Unless CoreDuoTemp isn't functioning right, it's been reading 20-22C all day. I only had it open briefly yesterday, but it was in the 60 range.

Could this mean something is wrong with my temperature sensors?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by scattered
Nope. Unless CoreDuoTemp isn't functioning right, it's been reading 20-22C all day. I only had it open briefly yesterday, but it was in the 60 range.

Could this mean something is wrong with my temperature sensors?
Even the second I turn my MacBook on, the temperature reads at 25c ish, so something must be wrong here...

Try uninstalling/reinstalling Core Duo Temp to see if you get more, lets say, realistic readings.

Unless, of course, you are in the arctic, in which case those temps are perfectly normal

scattered
Aug 19, 2006, 04:45 PM

Nevermind. I restarted and now it reads 65.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2006, 04:54 PM

I thought I was the only one with a cow in my computer.

masugu
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 09:10 PM

So do we have some sort of consensus for a post firmware upgrade "cruising" temp?

Example. I am on Macnn - with only one Safari window open. Running my 20" Dell Widescreen, also core duo temp....and clocking in at 53 degrees Celcius.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2006, 11:41 PM

I am "cruising" at 54-56 at the moment. I think the fans are on but I have to be RIGHT next to the macbook to hear them.

Not bothersome at all.

masugu
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 12:33 AM

Well, I am on battery power, only on one window of Macnn and cruising at 46 degrees C. Hope it stays at this level. I can hear fans if I put my ear to the Mac - but thats it. I LOVE it!

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 01:28 AM

safari, ichat, adium, and mail open on battery, in my bed book on my lap for the past hour temp is 53 deg. C

I used to have to use a small package of printer paper under the lappy like this...now, no need...slight warmth, but nothing more than that....sweeeeet

I knew they would get around to remedying this and had it not been for the dell fires, i dont know we would of seen this..but just happy to have a coolbook :-)

soulboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 06:34 AM

Think I agree with most people, have had my macbook on for about an hour now and temp is staying around 40 to 43C before it was in the mid 50's. Only noticed mooing before when doing C2C and was getting temps of up to 80C+ will see if this comes down after this update. Now just have to get my yellow trackpad changed. Only changed from PC to Mac in June.........best move I ever made !!..

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Photo678
had it not been for the dell fires
The Dell fires were the lithium ion batteries exploding. It had nothing to do with fan control.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2006, 10:32 AM

My temp now idles at approx. 59 C - 62 C. It was about 10 degrees more before the update. Now only the top left gets warm. I'd still love to see sub 50 C readings, though…

shadyg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 11:54 AM

My Macbook (week 22) idled around 65-69, under load 78. After installing the update my idle is ~46, and under load (itunes, word, firefox, photoshop) it doesn't break 62 degrees. What a great fix, I can't hear the fan and never had any "mooing issues".

masugu
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 01:30 PM

Great comments all around. I now feel that my temp drops are significant. I do believe I get lower temps - molike idling in the 45-50 range when on battery / web browsing away from my Monitor, but more like 50 - 60 when just web browsing with my monitor.

QUESTION
Anyone know where we may likely see some benchmarks / analysis of this recent update? Figure with all the hubub, anand tech or ???? might have something soon.

EDIT - Actually, here is one artcle, but no analysis or benchmarks yet - Apple Runs Fans Nonstop To Cool MacBooks - News by InformationWeek

machead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 01:58 PM

Everyone has been posting their processor temps, which while important, is not the most important thing from a usability point of view. Does anyone have any data about the temperature drops at at the bottom of the case? It's reasonable to assume that the temperature drops due to increased air circulation in the case may not be linear. (meaning a 10c drop in core temp may not translate to a 10c drop in case temperature)

As to the new fan behavior vs the old fan behavior.. I've noticed that people were saying that the fans now turn on at a lower temperature. Is this the case, or has the fan always been constantly running, albeit at a lower RPM. Doesn't seem logical to stop and start the fans constantly. Seems more logical to always have some airflow through the case as long as the processors are generating heat.

machead

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82
The Dell fires were the lithium ion batteries exploding. It had nothing to do with fan control.

I know that, im just saying that with the heat coming from the books, i don't think apple wanted to be in a situation where people are calling and yelling and screaming that their computers are running warm, etc etc.

Frans
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour
Anyone have an external 20.1" plus hooked up with this firmware update?

I am pre-update with a 20.1" and my fans aren't on at all. Temp idles at 66C.

I really don't want a scenario like my 12" PB where a 17" external display caused Turbo Jet action. That was REAL annoying.

UPDATE: Post-Update - Its more 12" PowerBook like, but not as annoying when at idle. I am UnRARing some files, running at 56C and the fans are running at a much higher speed. Before the update the fans didn't come on until like 78C or so.

While typing this post, the UnRAR finished and now at 52C and the fans aren't on at all. Weird. Maybe it has something to do with proc load and current clock speed.

Anyone else?
Hi AppleOptionFour, I'm using the 20" screen and also the 23". It's fine. The old Powerbook used to blow loud all the time, but this is very smooth indeed. Only when I use a heavy rosetta-app like a game or Dreamweaver the temperature runs above 70 and the fans really kick in. At the moment there are about 10 apps open and some very heavy widgets, and I'm at 63ºC with hardly any noise from the fan. I think you'll be fine
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by machead
Everyone has been posting their processor temps, which while important, is not the most important thing from a usability point of view. Does anyone have any data about the temperature drops at at the bottom of the case? It's reasonable to assume that the temperature drops due to increased air circulation in the case may not be linear. (meaning a 10c drop in core temp may not translate to a 10c drop in case temperature)

As to the new fan behavior vs the old fan behavior.. I've noticed that people were saying that the fans now turn on at a lower temperature. Is this the case, or has the fan always been constantly running, albeit at a lower RPM. Doesn't seem logical to stop and start the fans constantly. Seems more logical to always have some airflow through the case as long as the processors are generating heat.

machead
There is no significant difference in case temp. 60c and 50c really isn't that big a difference to your lap after an hour, as both are a bit unbearable for long periods.

My old iBook felt just as hot on my lap though.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2006, 05:02 PM

Mine runs cooler now.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2006, 08:03 PM

Count me in w/ a much lower temp now after the update. Moo is gone and I am very happy this has been resolved...
Joe

w7ox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by troymurray
I just did a Software Update and a MacBook firmware update for the fan problem was listed. I downloaded and applied it, was about 768k, said that the firmware is now 1.0
If the new firmware is v. 1.0, does that mean the original was a beta version?

Phil

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by w7ox

Phil
I noticed that too, but figured it was just subtle PR.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2006, 08:53 PM

lol, let's hope not...
Joe

debohun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 11:09 PM

However, I talked to an Apple representative yesterday, who tried to inform me that "Apple is moving away from making laptops" and only recommends its systems as "notebooks", i.e., not for use on laps. Presumable this is because the heat issue is still a considerable problem and that the ventalation engineering is hampered by use on "laps", i.e, ventalation engineering is still lacking. As long as Apple is obsessed with slim and sexy, rather than cool and functional, they are going to be sabotoging a market they should own. I don't know about you, but I could care less if my MacBook were a half inch thicker, it it meant I could use it in bed like I still do with my six-year-old Pismo.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by w7ox
No it means this is the firmware *update* v.1.0. The 1.0 refers to the update. The original firmware, was well umm, not an update, hence this is 1.0.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour
Anyone have an external 20.1" plus hooked up with this firmware update?
I am pre-update with a 20.1" and my fans aren't on at all. Temp idles at 66C.
I really don't want a scenario like my 12" PB where a 17" external display caused Turbo Jet action. That was REAL annoying.
My MB is hooked up to a 20" ACD. The fan was never audible while idling before, and it isn't audible now after the update. Of course this is at room temperature with AC (68F/20C). I only hear the fan when I really crank up the load.

This is totally different from the 12" PBs, where just attaching an external ACD caused the fan to run constantly and well audible even when completely idle.

I haven't heard one single complaint about this update.

telecaster887
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 04:01 AM

I seem to be having more problems since I installed the firmware. Before I had no problems with "mooing" or noise but now my fans are ALWAYS running and its very annoying in a quiet room. I'll turnon my macbook and just let it idle and it is completely silent for like 3 minutes. After that, the fans start getting louder and louder to the point where I can still hear them even with the TV on pretty loud.

My temperatures are also idling at around 63-69C which seems pretty high compared to everyone else. Is there something wrong with my fans? Should I bring it into the apple store?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 04:06 AM

What's your room temp?

telecaster887
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 04:09 AM

Just a normal room temp, 70F?

miss-haley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 04:16 AM

i sent my blackmacbook in to get checked because of the excessive heat - and the fan was chuckin fits. hopefully the techs down here thought to run this update - i'm not holding my breath - seems they'll shave anyone and call 'em a mac tech in wellington. but after reading the multiple thermal gunk threads, i'm hopeful that i won't get serious heat probs from reading PDFs anymore. the techs said they replaced the logic board.... wheres the :crossedfingers: smiley when you need it!

oh and Hi there macNN forum.... noob introduction aside
----------------------------------
A+ is draining my will to live
----------------------------------

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by telecaster887
Just a normal room temp, 70F?
So when you boot your MB in a 70F room and just let it sit there and idle, the CPU temp will approach 70C and the fan will run really loud? Did you check that there's no protective plastic wrap blocking the vents below the display?

What surface is your MB sitting on? A bed? Towel? Or a flat table?

Did you check to see if there are any background processes running that could be generating a big CPU load?

telecaster887
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 05:10 AM

Alright so I checked my Activity Monitor and a Process called "isof" was using 99% on my CPU usage so I quit it and then deleted some widget that I think it was paired with? Anyways all the fans have stopped and it idles quiet and the temps are now around 50 which seems WAY more normal than 79C. Thanks for the help Simon.
( Last edited by telecaster887; Aug 21, 2006 at 05:49 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules