Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unibody MacBook + Apple LED Cinema Display = No WiFI?

Unibody MacBook + Apple LED Cinema Display = No WiFI?
troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2009, 01:38 AM

Last night I brought home a brand new Apple 24-inch LED Cinema Display and connected it to my 13" MacBook Unibody and closed the lid. When the lid is closed, AirPort sees the Wifi network, has full strength signal, receives a good IP address from the network, can even run NSLOOKUP, PING and TRACE commands successfully, but browsing to a webpage works, but then slowly starts stalling all Internet traffic. If I hit refresh it will load the page, extremely slowly, 1 out of 8 times that I try.

If I open the lid so it's not closed all the way, then the Wifi works quickly on all pages, just like it should. If I close the lid again, back to the web pages stalling. If I connect an Ethernet cable and have the lid closed, Internet connectivity works just fine.

I thought maybe this was due to me moving my user accounts from my old MacBook Pro to this new MacBook. To test this I installed a brand new hard drive in the MacBook, did a new install of Mac OS X 10.5.6, ran all of the Software Updates, restarted, then connected to my external Apple display, closed the lid and tried to browse and use email over the WiFi, sometimes the pages would start to load, but slowing stall to the point that no web pages worked. Renewing an IP address didn't change the situation at all either. So, I can use my external display, but I have to open the lid of the MacBook ever so slightly for the WiFi to work.

Kind of annoying considering the monetary investment here. Anyone else run into this problem and found a fix yet?
Troy Murray

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2009, 03:47 AM

Maybe you received a lemon and closing the lid pinches the wifi antenna/cables? I can assure you that the UB MBPs we have here can use wifi just fine with their lids closed.

Three quick tests:
• Do you always have the MB in the same location? Try using it in closed lid mode in another location, at another height and angle. Maybe when you close your lid you're seeing some kind of interference due to the location of your antennas with respect to the base station's. I've seen something like that myself.
• Use OpenDNS IPs for DNS. Just to be sure. 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220. Does that change anything?
• Run Apple Hardware Test (boot from the install DVD, hold d). Does it report any errors?

troymurray  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
• Do you always have the MB in the same location? Try using it in closed lid mode in another location, at another height and angle. Maybe when you close your lid you're seeing some kind of interference due to the location of your antennas with respect to the base station's. I've seen something like that myself.
I have tried moving it to different locations and different angles, but I receive the same result.
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
• Use OpenDNS IPs for DNS. Just to be sure. 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220. Does that change anything?
Yup, that's what I normally run and then use the local University DNS server as my third DNS server option just in case. Makes no difference

What I'm seeing is, when the lid is closed and I do a PING to the local WAP, the response time is high (between 300ms and 1700ms) with some packet loss at times. With the lid open, response time is low (between 4ms and 35ms) with no packet loss.

I talked to AppleCare, he said the same thing about maybe the antenna needs to be adjusted. The packet loss and response time seems to vary from time to time, even though the unit sits in the same place all the time.

Very odd stuff.
Troy Murray

Cold Warrior
Mar 17, 2009, 11:00 PM

Moving the lid to fix the problem is a very strong indicator that this is hardware-related. Run Apple Hardware Test just to check everything out then call Apple to get it repaired. They can send you a prepaid box for return or you could take it to an Apple Store where they probably couldn't fix it and would then ship it to Apple for you.

jpw94
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2009, 01:43 AM

FINALLY, I have found someone who has been going through what I have.
I've been very patient thinking this might be a problem induced by my router but now I am convinced that is must be hardware-related.
I have an upstairs office. I get full bars (most times) when the lid is open and it degrades if I close the lid.
I can do speedtests and the excellent in the beginning but then degrade drastically.

I am a first-timer with my macbook. I just bought it about 5 weeks ago. If I need repair, are they going to render me computer-less until it gets fixed? What's up with that? They have no tech services on-site at the apple store (where I bought it?) Perhaps they will credit me my purchase price until the return it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2009, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by jpw94 View Post
I am a first-timer with my macbook. I just bought it about 5 weeks ago. If I need repair, are they going to render me computer-less until it gets fixed? What's up with that? They have no tech services on-site at the apple store (where I bought it?) Perhaps they will credit me my purchase price until the return it.
There is a computer company out there that provides "loaners" while machines are being repaired?
(There may be, I've never heard of such a thing..)

Credit you the purchase price?? They aren't going to steal your machine..

Cold Warrior
Jun 18, 2009, 02:05 AM

They fix it fast. No you won't get a loaner computer and they won't credit you the purchase price for the few days you're without it.

jpw94
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2009, 02:18 AM

I was being facetious. I just get a little miffed that you put so much time and money into something and you're "down" due to a manufacturer's defect.
Hopefully, they will fix it fast as you say.

rexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2009, 03:24 PM

i am having the same problem with my new 17 inch unibody and 24 inch led display. with the lid open wifi is fine .. with it closed impossible to use.

i was wondering if you found a solution

rexx

jpw94
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2009, 04:10 PM

I found that i needed to work with my router and tweak the settings which have significantly improved the reception. I can't understand how/why having the cover closed or open made a difference but I do think it is a reception issue (at least for me. I am using a d-link dir-655. If anyone wants some setup tips, please feel free to PM me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2009, 05:34 PM

If closing the lid causes bad reception or dropped wifi try tilting your router's antenna or the entire router. Set it upright if need be. It's well known that even across a clear line of sight, different angles between the antennas of the router and the Mac can have significant impact on performance. That's also a reason these MIMO has become so popular.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2009, 05:43 AM

Apple have acknowledged their displays emit signals which interfere a router's signal. It was a common problem on my brother's MacBook Air and his 20" cinema display. I can't remember what he did to fix it but it's completely resolved now - I'll talk to him later and find out for you.

MacBook Air: Optimize wireless communications when using an external display

rexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2009, 01:35 PM

thanks for the suggestions. however i do not think it is a router problem. i have exhausted most of the router tricks. as well, i have four other macs running from the same location:

12 macbook
15 macbook pro
mac mini
and yes an old G4 400

all get top reception as tested on various bandwidth tests.

one thought that i had is that it could be connected to the position of the antenna in the 17 inch macbook pro (unibody) ... an apple support line suggested this as well. but i don't think i'll try opening my new toy!
thanks
rexx

rexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2009, 12:45 PM

total video failure on my new 17 in macbook pro (unibody) ... apple replaced the motherboard and not the computer. at 3100.00 dollars: perhaps they should have replaced it?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by rexx View Post
total video failure on my new 17 in macbook pro (unibody) ... apple replaced the motherboard and not the computer. at 3100.00 dollars: perhaps they should have replaced it?
Uhh..what?

Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by rexx View Post
Fantastically incoherent and off topic. I congratulate you, sir.

rexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2009, 10:57 AM

thank you, sir!
(Unibody MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 24" LED Cinema Display, 32 GB IPOD TOUCH

Forum Links
Forum Rules