Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 45)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2018, 06:51 PM

Corker lost his shit on the Senate floor today

andi*pandi
Jun 13, 2018, 06:01 PM

Did you know that the anniversary of DDay is a great example of how we work well with the German government?

Thorzdad
Jun 13, 2018, 06:06 PM

andi*pandi
Jun 13, 2018, 06:29 PM

are we seriously having loyalty lists?

It's like the trump administration took the biggest controversies in the nation's history and put them in a jar, taking one out every day at random.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2018, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It's obviously unethical, but I'm not even sure that's legal (Depends if this counts as potential discrimination for political views).

Thorzdad
Jun 13, 2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's obviously unethical, but I'm not even sure that's legal (Depends if this counts as potential discrimination for political views).
It’s probably legal up until they actually fire someone, and even then it would have to be shown the firing was based on political views. If the person let go is an appointee, then it becomes a moot point since politics is how they got the job in the first place. A hire, on the other hand, is a little trickier but, in this age of “at will” employment, it would be very difficult to prove that the firing was for political views.

It would appear, though, that merely taking names is having the desired effect, which is to empty the State Department.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2018, 07:31 PM

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/bre...icaid-in-maine
Maine’s state legislature has voted five times in the past five years to expand Medicaid, and LePage vetoed the effort five times. Having reached an impasse, health care advocates turned to the ballot box, gathering signatures to get the measure on the 2017 ballot and successfully campaigning for its passage. Nearly 60 percent of voters cast a ballot in favor — making the state the first in the nation to expand Medicaid by popular vote.

Under Maine’s Constitution, the governor can’t veto a law passed by citizens’ initiative, so LePage chose instead to simply refuse to move forward with its implementation, citing concerns about its cost. The lawsuit was filed after LePage blew past the April deadline to submit a simple, two-page State Plan Amendment that allows the state to draw millions in federal funding for the Medicaid expansion.

https://www.necn.com/news/politics/M...485260841.html
On the day Maine residents headed to the polls to use ranked-choice voting for the first time in a statewide primary, Gov. Paul LePage said Tuesday he may not certify the election results.

LePage told WCSH-TV the voting was "the most horrific thing in the world" and he sides with people who raise questions about its constitutionality.

LePage said his feelings about the ranked-choice voting are so strong that he will "probably not certify the election," and leave it up to the courts to decide instead, according to WCSH-TV.

However, Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap says certification doesn't apply to primaries, so LePage doesn't actually have anything to certify.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2018, 07:42 PM

From a while back... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.96186199432c
In February 2017, as debate raged nationally over President Trump’s decision to curtail immigration to the United States, the conservative Christian Broadcasting Network dipped into the Bible to share what that sacred text said about refugees.

“Treat refugees the way you want to be treated,” it said, quoting Leviticus. “Invite the stranger in” (Matthew) and “Open your door to the traveler” (Job).

The first comment in reply to the article captures the tone of the rest of the feedback the site received: “Shame on CBN for this very poorly written article full of political rhetoric. This is not a Biblical issue.”
But Pew’s new research includes a fascinating detail: No group agrees less with the idea that the United States has a responsibility to accept refugees than white evangelical Protestants.

Only 25 percent of evangelicals told Pew that they believed the United States has such a responsibility, half the percentage of Catholics who said the same thing and substantially lower than the religiously unaffiliated.

The next least-supportive group was those without college degrees, nearly 4 in 10 of whom agreed with the idea that a responsibility existed.

With this latest push to justify child-seperation with the bible, I think we're going to see an all out war to discredit the sanctimonious right's claim that their actions are biblical.

andi*pandi
Jun 16, 2018, 08:21 PM

I'm beginning to think LePage needs his own thread, he keeps disregarding the voters and their desires this way. Another petty dictator who hates Obama so much he's willing to cut off his own nose (mainers healthcare) to spite his face (mainers). Maine has many low income people who need healthcare, and drug addicts who need treatment centers, etc.

Maybe: Parochial Governors and Their Wacky Hijinx

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2018, 08:54 PM

I'd agree, but he's almost gone.

That said, my title would be something along the lines of "The Horrors of Third-Party Voting in a First Past the Post System"

reader50
Administrator
Jun 16, 2018, 10:17 PM

I kept thinking Gov. LePage belongs in the GOP Against Democracy thread. Each of his noteworthy antics is thwarting the will of the voters he's sworn to represent.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2018, 12:32 AM

You're not wrong, but I keep him out because he's an outlier – he fights his own GOP legislature because he's so out there.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2018, 01:14 PM

Signs of life from the press. Then again, they don't often get to challenge him to begin with.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 19, 2018, 08:14 PM

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05d6c16c7acca
Rudy Giuliani says FBI agents interviewed him in his room at the Trump International Hotel earlier this year regarding his 2016 remarks predicting a “surprise” in the closing days of the presidential race that would benefit then-Republican nominee Donald Trump.

“That’s all they asked about. What was I talking about in terms of ‘surprise’?” Giuliani told HuffPost Tuesday. “What was I talking about when I was talking about new information?”
Curious if anything comes of this.

Related: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...ton-info-to-me
Last night on Fox News, Rep. Devin Nunes explained that in late September 2016, “good FBI agents” came to him and told him they’d found the Weiner laptop with Huma Abedin’s emails with Secretary Clinton.
I thought he was against this sort of thing?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 19, 2018, 08:38 PM

What are "good FBI agents"? They should be agents that tend to solve their cases. Without breaking the law, planting evidence, witness torture, etc.

But from context, is sounds like "good FBI agents" are ones that take sides in federal elections.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 20, 2018, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
What are "good FBI agents"? They should be agents that tend to solve their cases. Without breaking the law, planting evidence, witness torture, etc.

But from context, is sounds like "good FBI agents" are ones that take sides in federal elections.
Trump has demonized the crooked FBI, so Nunes needs to clarify that the ones that came to him were a few of the good ones, not the majority of the witch-hunting bad ones.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Trump has demonized the crooked FBI, so Nunes needs to clarify that the ones that came to him were a few of the good ones, not the majority of the witch-hunting bad ones.
Jesus, that reads like sarcasm but its factually accurate.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2018, 08:01 PM

Posting because I think it's interesting: The results of Maine's D Governor ranked choice voting

It looks like in Round Two and Three, the remaining votes were split pretty evenly among the contenders (2% then 5%) where in Round 4 there was a much more noticeable split that tipped it to Mills.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2018, 11:50 PM

There's some subtext here that makes me extremely uncomfortable.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2018, 11:32 AM

1) sitting presidents don't have rallies.
2) for all we know, the other networks weren't invited, informed, or allowed in;
3) if they were invited, allowed, etc, it's possible they don't want to support propaganda
4) Also possible fox just lying and other networks are covering this ridiculous thing?

6) it's all completely f'd up

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
1) sitting presidents don't have rallies.
First term presidents do. That’s how they become two-term presidents.

Admittedly, they don’t usually start until after mid-terms.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2018, 04:41 PM

The point is, this guy never stopped having rallies. They're not really campaign events. They are just meant to feed the narcissist-in-chief.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2018, 04:52 PM

I mean, yes, they’re for feeding his ego, but a bad enough midterm will land the guy in the pokey. That’s a factor in him having rallies.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I mean, yes, they’re for feeding his ego, but a bad enough midterm will land the guy in the pokey. That’s a factor in him having rallies.
No its not. At best its a rationalization.

Anyway, Fox's tone came off as insinuating the other network were somehow unpatriotic.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2018, 03:38 PM

Okay.

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2018, 04:02 PM

Dakar, good point, that can be #7 in my list.

(there is no #5).

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2018, 01:07 AM

We need to address the elephant in the room.

Who came up with “womp” as an onomatopoeia?

They should get womped.

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2018, 09:37 AM

it is more of a wah-wah, sure.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 24, 2018, 02:14 PM

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/19/62130...-of-state-koba
Kansas cannot require people to prove their U.S. citizenship before they can vote, a federal judge says, ruling that the state's election law is unconstitutional. The judge sharply criticized Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who has based much of his political career on worries about voter fraud.
Robinson noted that Kansas is a state with some 1.8 million registered voters — and that the number of people in Kansas who aren't U.S. citizens who either registered to vote or tried to do so is 0.6 percent of the state's noncitizen population.

Based on the evidence, the judge ruled, Kansas' interests in preventing fraud, while legitimate, are "not strong enough to outweigh the tangible and quantifiable burden on eligible voter registration applicants in Kansas who were not registered to vote before January 1, 2013."
In sanctioning Kobach, the judge gave the secretary of state roughly one year to provide proof of the additional training, which would be part of the mandatory continuing legal education classes that many attorneys take to maintain their law licenses.

Robinson cited "a pattern and practice by [Kobach of flouting] disclosure and discovery rules that are designed to prevent prejudice and surprise at trial. It's unclear, she said, whether he "repeatedly failed to meet his disclosure obligations intentionally or due to his unfamiliarity with the federal rules."

Kobach, we'll note, is a Harvard graduate who earned his law degree at Yale and was a law clerk at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. He also taught constitutional law as a professor at the University of Missouri, Kansas City, according to his official biography.

The ruling comes two months after the judge found Kobach in contempt of court for disobeying her order to allow some potentially ineligible voters to remain eligible to cast a ballot under a preliminary injunction.
He was such a bad lawyer the judge sentenced him to talk classes for wasting her time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2018, 10:49 PM

So I made nothing out of this Jim Jordan story when it came out, but then he claimed he was never contacted and he got called out by the firm investigating it, and well, now I have to think there's some thing to it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.50a8d35b6aaa
Lawyers in the investigation had previously tried to schedule an interview with Jordan, Porter Wright partner Kathleen Trafford said Tuesday. Jordan told Fox that the requests never reached him, calling claims he failed to reply “ridiculous.”

“The same law firm that could find an ex British spy write a dossier to influence the presidential election, can’t find a Congressman’s email address?” Jordan said, according to a tweet from Fox News reporter Chad Pergram.
He's also getting called out by more former wrestlers:
Former Ohio State University wrestler Shawn Dailey told NBC News on Thursday that he was groped half a dozen times by team doctor Richard Strauss. Dailey said he did not report the incidents to Jordan, the assistant wrestling coach at the time, but he said Jordan participated in conversations about Strauss’s alleged misconduct.

Dailey described Jordan as a close friend and called his denials “kind of hurtful.”

“What happened drove me out of the sport,” Dailey told NBC. “So I was surprised to hear Jim say that he knew nothing about it.”
Naturally:
“I don’t believe them at all,” Trump said of the former wrestlers. “I believe him. Jim Jordan is one of the most outstanding people I’ve met since I’ve been in Washington. I believe him 100 percent. No question in my mind. I believe Jim Jordan 100 percent. He’s an outstanding man.”
I guess they have delusion in common:
Jordan also questioned the timing of the controversy, noting that it came after he had tangled publicly with Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein during a hearing and “right when there is all this talk about Speaker’s race.”
Anyway, I won't shed a tear if this guy has to resign for being an enabling dope.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2018, 11:33 AM

I forgot to add the snowflake, Jordan, sicced the capital police on one of the accusers for purportedly hatrassment over email (emailed him too much)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2018, 06:59 PM

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/jim-jord...eported-abuse/
Baier played video of a former Ohio State wrestler, Mike DiSabato, saying on CNN earlier this week, ““I know Jim knew about what I called the deviant sexual atmosphere that we were exposed to.”

DiSabato said it was “something that we would discuss on a regular basis, mainly with nervous banter.”

Conversations in a locker room,” Jordan told Baier, “are a lot different than allegations of abuse or reported abuse to us. I mean, I’ve been in the sport of wrestling my entire life… Conversations in a locker room are a lot different than people coming up and talking about abuse. No one ever reported any abuse to me. If they had, I would have dealt with it.”
Cracking daylight on him having heard something after all.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 9, 2018, 12:54 AM

And the early contender for worst person of 2018 goes to...
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...re/1036514001/

Gov. Matt Bevin has issued an executive order that would strip Medicaid coverage from nearly half a million Kentuckians should his proposed overhaul of the federal-state health plan be struck down in court.
"Gov. Bevin has consistently said ... that these are the terms under which Kentucky will maintain expanded Medicaid," Maglinger said. "Accordingly, he has signed an executive order to terminate Kentucky’s Medicaid expansion in the event that a court decision prohibits one or more of the components of the Section 1115 waiver from being implemented."
Promise kept!
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ash/749974002/
Gov. Matt Bevin's administration announced it is cutting Medicaid dental and vision benefits to nearly half a million Kentuckians after a judge on Friday rejected his plan to overhaul the government health plan.
Bevin's changes to Medicaid that include work requirements, premiums and other new rules, were to take effect Sunday.

But on Friday, U.S. District Judge James E. Boasberg vacated Bevin's entire plan and sent it back to officials at the U.S. Department for Health and Human Services for further review, The judge said the Trump administration, in approving the plan, didn't consider the basic provisions of federal Medicaid law, which is to provide access to health care for low-income and vulnerable citizens.
Several speakers Monday questioned whether it's legal for Bevin to abruptly cut dental and vision coverage for nearly one-third of the 1.4 million Kentuckians covered by the federal-state health plan. Yarmuth said his office is seeking an opinion from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, or CMS, the agency that oversees state Medicaid programs,

"We don't think he can do that, " Yarmuth said. "We checked with CMS — they said they don't know if he can do that."
"When Kentucky HEALTH was struck down by the court, the 'My Rewards Account' program was invalidated, meaning there is no longer a legal mechanism in place to pay for dental and vision coverage for about 460,000 beneficiaries who have been placed in the Alternative Benefit Plan," the email said. "As such, they no longer have access to dental and vision coverage as a result of the court’s ruling."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 9, 2018, 12:58 AM

So here's a strange story. A freelance natsec journalist got some texts from a source right after the election. Somewhere down the line the content of the texts seemed problematic in retrospect so the journalist approached FBI about it. She now came out about what she did as she expects fallout soon and wanted both to explain herself and possible give her a life insurance policy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.f21c68304e3b
But Marcy Wheeler, who writes a well-regarded national security blog, not only revealed a source — she did so to the FBI, eventually becoming a witness in special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation of President Trump’s possible connections to Russia.

“On its face, I broke one of the cardinal rules of journalism, but what he was doing should cause a source to lose protection,” Wheeler told me in a lengthy phone interview.
Wheeler hasn’t named the source publicly, though his name may soon be known to all who are following the Mueller investigation.

But her dealings with him have brought her around to believing something she initially questioned: that Russian interference in the 2016 election was a very real thing, and that Trump associates played a part.

Her blog post centers on a text message she says she got from the source on Nov. 9, 2016 — about 14 hours after the polls closed — predicting that Michael Flynn, who would be Trump’s appointee for national security adviser, would be meeting with “Team Al-Assad” within 48 hours. Russia has been perhaps the Assad regime’s staunchest ally.

As she noted: “The substance of the text — that the Trump team started focusing on Syria right after the election — has been corroborated and tied to their discussions with Russia at least twice since then.”
But what motivated her recent revelation that she went to the FBI has plenty to do with politics: She is disgusted by the way House Republicans are, in her view, weaponizing their oversight responsibilities and making it all too likely that FBI informants will have their names revealed — and their safety threatened.

“It infuriates me,” she wrote, to observe the “months-long charade by the House GOP to demand more and more details about those who have shared information with the government . . . all in an attempt to discredit the Mueller investigation.”

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 9, 2018, 10:09 AM

Couple of big resignation is Mays UK govt.

Thorzdad
Jul 9, 2018, 10:12 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 9, 2018, 11:16 AM

Why waste boobs on babies?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 9, 2018, 11:53 AM

I have a hard time believing that Ecuador threat was true.

Thorzdad
Jul 9, 2018, 01:12 PM

Sounds pretty much SOP for this gang to me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2018, 09:21 PM

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/s...62025563836416
BREAKING: @realDonaldTrump @WhiteHouse releases Executive Order to end competitive selection process for Administrative Law Judges, making them political appointees who can be fired at will.
Yeah, this seems real legit and also not a great platform to abuse worker rights.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2018, 04:06 AM

Nevada to become first state to execute inmate with fentanyl

I remember back when Europeans stopped selling lethal injection drugs to the U.S., my question was “you can’t just give them a heroin overdose?”

Thorzdad
Jul 11, 2018, 08:42 AM

Thorzdad
Jul 13, 2018, 04:38 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2018, 04:52 PM

There's this strange argument that able-bodied people not working are mooching off the system. I've never seen context given as to whether full time jobs are available to them.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 13, 2018, 05:25 PM

The problem seems to be that the aid cuts off abruptly. Giving a financial incentive to only work so much. You make more eventually, but there's a gap where aid stops, before higher income makes up for it.

I'm no welfare expert, but I have heard recipients talk about it. Work requirements might address some of it, but I suspect fiddling with the taper-off equation would help more.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The problem seems to be that the aid cuts off abruptly. Giving a financial incentive to only work so much. You make more eventually, but there's a gap where aid stops, before higher income makes up for it.

I'm no welfare expert, but I have heard recipients talk about it. Work requirements might address some of it, but I suspect fiddling with the taper-off equation would help more.
That sounds familiar. But the solution seems obvious? Just reduce the aid by increments depending on what the person is making.

Oh, I forgot, there's also a case to be made that some of this work requirement stuff is partly dog-whistling.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2018, 07:13 PM

Remember this?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...mpression=true
Experts said it is rare to have such a high level of interim security clearance for such a long period of time. It is particularly striking access for someone like Kushner, who has never served in government and has a complex history of financial transactions, business ownership and contacts and dealings with foreigners.
When this is all over, we're going to need to pass some laws strengthening how we treat security clearance. On a scale out of five private emails servers, this situation is a three, easily.
Shortly after the WH pulled Kushner's interim clearance. A month or two later an article in NYT appeared saying he had been granted a permanent clearance and it tried to imply it was because he was cleared by the FBI.

People suspected it was the WH spinning them clearing him themselves and now...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.786a9523cfa7
Jared Kushner, a senior White House adviser and President Trump’s son-in-law, lacks the security clearance level required to review some of the government’s most sensitive secrets, according to two people familiar with his access.

But when White House security officials granted him a permanent clearance in late May, he was granted only “top secret” status — a level that does not allow him to see some of the country’s most closely guarded intelligence, said the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss security issues.

Kushner has not yet been approved to review “sensitive compartmented information,” better known as SCI. The Central Intelligence Agency determines who can access this information, which primarily involves U.S. intelligence sources and surveillance methods, they said.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 16, 2018, 12:13 AM

Meanwhile, at Facebook's quest to crack down on 'fake news'
https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/11/med...ars/index.html
Facebook officials struggled on Wednesday to explain why it permits InfoWars, a media organization that is one of the world's leading purveyors of conspiracy theories, to have a page on its platform.
I guess just for being false, that doesn’t violate the community standards,” Hegeman said, explaining that InfoWars has “not violated something that would result in them being taken down.”
Ah, just because it's a lie doesn't make it fake news. Very logical.

Svensson added, "That said: while sharing fake news doesn't violate our Community Standards set of policies, we do have strategies in place to deal with actors who repeatedly share false news. If content from a Page or domain is repeatedly given a 'false' rating from our third-party fact-checkers ... we remove their monetization and advertising privileges to cut off financial incentives, and dramatically reduce the distribution of all of their Page-level or domain-level content on Facebook."
Facebook followed up
https://twitter.com/facebook/status/1017477222083411968
We see Pages on both the left and the right pumping out what they consider opinion or analysis – but others call fake news. We believe banning these Pages would be contrary to the basic principles of free speech.
BOTH SIDES

Thorzdad
Jul 17, 2018, 05:20 PM

Apparently, in DC, your liquor license can be revoked if it is determined that you are not “a person of good character.”

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 17, 2018, 05:49 PM

Bad law gets abused.

Forum Links
Forum Rules