Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Anybody have an Epson 740 Scuzzy Printer?

Anybody have an Epson 740 Scuzzy Printer?
bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2003, 01:22 PM

I just sent my old Performa to my sister in law. I also sent along my epson 740 with it because it has a SCSII connection. I have not used that printer for awhile with the Performa. Now she says she cannot hook up the printer because the scsi cable I sent her will not go into the printer. She can connect to the computer however. Is there some adapter that I have forgotten about? I'm positive its the scuzzy cable I was using before. It might be something really simple, but not being there is frustrating. I went to the epson web site and looked at the specs ... its just looks like a regular scsi male connection on the printer.
( Last edited by bergy; Aug 30, 2003 at 06:45 PM. )

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2003, 04:12 PM

Although you said you sent the same cable you previously used, that seems unlikely unless you had most recently connected it to a PC instead of a Mac.

The problem is that it is not actually a SCSI printer. It sounds like you're trying to connect it using the parallel port, which is meant only for PCs but can easily be mistaken for SCSI. She needs a Mac serial cable (aka. a Mac printer or modem cable.) The Epson SC 740 has this port as well -- it's the one that is not USB and doesn't look like SCSI.

I hope the rest of this is not stuff you already know. Thought I'd include it just in case...

You need to use a cable with both ends looking like the one pictured here:
http://www.csun.edu/~lg48405/sed618/...cs/Image12.jpg
Note that it may also have an icon of a printer or a telephone instead of the two arrows, but they are physically the same and can be used interchangably.

Also note that the ADB (keyboard and mouse) cable can look very similar to a serial {edit: oops, originally write ADB again!} cable but they are not compatible, and are usually coiled rather like a telephone cable. This is not the one you want.

A Google search revealed this page with a key to common Mac port icons. You might find it helpful:
http://www.betweenborders.com/io_icons/index.html
( Last edited by dn15; Aug 30, 2003 at 08:41 PM. )

bergy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2003, 06:45 PM

Thank you dn15. You are absolutely right. I do have that cable you sent a picture of, and I must have had an old scsi cable around and mistook it for the printer cable to the 740. Thank you very much ... you have saved me a lot of time trying to figure out what could be wrong. That picture really helped as I recognized my mistake immediately. This forum is great!

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2003, 07:22 PM

Great, I'm glad I could help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules