Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe Reader "helper tool"?

Adobe Reader "helper tool"?
Thorzdad
Apr 14, 2017, 03:34 PM

Adobe Reader has been nagging me to install the latest update, but it's also trying to install something identified only as a "helper tool." Anyone know what this "helper tool" actually is? It doesn't appear you can update Reader without it.

andi*pandi
Apr 18, 2017, 11:02 AM

I seem to recall this. If you are concerned about it being fake adobe, you could go to adobe.com/downloads and find the update there?

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 18, 2017, 11:06 AM

I'm not worried about it being fake Adobe. I'm sure it's legit. I'm more just wondering what kind of extra crapware Adobe is trying to stick on my system, and whether I can delete the "helper" after it's installed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2017, 12:32 PM

Two possibilities spring to mind:

1.) Auto-update service.

2.) read along with OS privileges and grab everything that looks like a PDF, regardless of app or plug-in architecture, and appropriate it into Adobe's kraken lair.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 18, 2017, 02:07 PM

I downloaded the basic (free) Reader from Adobe. It uses the standard Installer, so I was able to check the files listing. I also used Pacifist and unpkg to examine what files are included.

It contains:
The Reader application.
A browser plugin (would land in Library/Internet Plug-Ins or ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins)
support files for the Help function
a RdrServicesUpdater
"armagent" - another updater/helper.

The internet plugin would be easy to delete afterwards. The help files are harmless. I'm not sure why it needs two updater utilities, but you can either delete them afterwards (search via the file names) or use the two utilities to just extract the application itself. That last method would cost you the help files, but who needs help files for a PDF reader?

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2017, 03:31 PM

Acrobat is such a bloated mess that I ditched it entirely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules