Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help!! Bizarre Error w/ USB Printer & I've got deadline

Help!! Bizarre Error w/ USB Printer & I've got deadline
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 10:05 AM

Hi -- Can you help me guess what means "Shared Memory Service Not Created Yet" when I try to use the HP Setup Assistant on an HP LaserJet3300 -- I'm afraid HP tech support will take forever to email me back (if they've even a clue).

Here's the strange OS9.1 deal anyway. This USB printer/scanner works great on my iBook (Sys 9.1) but zilch on my Pismo Powerbook (also 9.1). Further weirdness is that the HP instructions say AppleTalk should be ON and that "LaserWriter 8" should be chosen in Chooser. After Installing all goodies from HP CD-ROM, I do this (though it does not show the HP LJ (attached to USB) in chooser). Yet, amazingly it *does* work on the iBook. But on PB gives error message in HP assistant of "Shared Memory Service Not Created Yet". (Got any idea what might be going on in Mac OS that HP interprets to give that?)

Also, strangely, on iBook, the HP Help guide says AppleTalk should be *on* even though "USB" is not a choice in AppleTalk (I have it set to Ethernet on *both* machines). ?�? When Laserwriter8 is chosen in the (printing correctly) iBook's Chooser, *no* printer shows in Chooser printer list, but the desktop printing to LJ works great on that iBook. On similarly set up Pismo PB, the desktop printer appears fine (and can even be shown as checked in desktop printer menu), but does *nada*.

I've tried trashing numerous preferences, including Appletalk, HP, etc. On the Pismo I've reinstalled HP software from the HP CD-ROM to no avail. Then I've reinstalled OS9.1 -- no change. [ even if no other apps running -- even trying to print finder window gives nada ]

This would just be a usual hair-pulling system boondoggle... except that the (similarly configured) sys9.1 works great to this USB LJ3300 on the iBook.

Anybody?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

climber
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 12:53 PM

How is this printer connected to the pismo? are you using the USB directly or is the printer still connected to the ibook and you are trying to connect over the network?

I would guess you are direct via USB. The HP driver apparently patches the USB port to the Apple lasewriter 8 driver. The laserwriter 8 driver normally looks for appletalk printers over a network like10 base-T. You might be experiencing a conflict with the HP extension. You could try the following:

Open the Extension manager and enable only the base OS9.1 extensions. Then enable only the HP extensions that are needed for the printer. The goal is to turn off everything that is not need to print. If that works you can slowly start turning everything back on till you find out what is causing the conflict.The part that leaves me puzzled is you said you already tried a reinstall of OS9.1 So you should have everything HP needed. Did you install any other 3rd party software that might be causing a conflict?

Another source of your problem could be you are missing some piece of software that the HP driver is expecting. A quick check of my HP manuals did not list a set of files needed for USB printing support other than the apple laserwriter 8 driver.
climber

Fredo
Senior User
May 6, 2002, 02:34 PM

Have you checked their website? Sometimes they have downloadable updates with bug fixes. http://www.hp.com/country/us/eng/support.htm
Who are the Brain Police?

Fredo
Senior User
May 6, 2002, 02:41 PM

Have you checked their website? Sometimes they have downloadable updates with bug fixes. http://www.hp.com/country/us/eng/support.htm
Who are the Brain Police?

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 01:10 AM

Thanks, guys!

Answering the first question, yes the Pismo is a direct USB connect to the LJ3300.

Disabling all but the Apple & HP extensions/CPs sounded plausible, but after this simplification of the system and restart the problem remains same. Still got the "Shared Memory Service Not Created." error from the HP Setup Assistant (terms never explained at HP web site).

For the benefit of future suffers, I now relate what turned out to be the cause: although HP doesn't warn you, *at least the first time you use the Setup Assistant* you have to let your system run through the items in your Startup Folder -- whereas I usually bypass that with the SHIFT key after the desktop appears -- to trigger a special "HP Communications" application. Ironically, I am *especially* likely to bypass the Startup Folder when trying new software or trouble shooting.

MEMO to Software Manual Authors: Please *tell us* what you are installing all over our system -- and what is vital.

< I still have to experiment and see if I'll have to keep this HP communications application in startup before *each* use of printer >

SECOND MEMO to Sortware Manual Authors: Also don't use icons that appear like *System Extension* icons for *applications* (like this one put in Startup Folder).

Thanks to you guys in forum for finding some reasonable strategies for me to try!

PS: In fairness to HP, they did respond to email with a hint that set me to looking for this "communications" application. Two points off to HP, however, for explaining how to solve the problem starting with the System X Dock!!! -- after I told them I was using Sys 9.1
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules