Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > $2 trillion?

$2 trillion?
Thorzdad
Aug 19, 2020, 04:17 PM

Apple’s market cap hit $2 trillion today. Only Saudi Aramco has ever hit that mark.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 19, 2020, 04:52 PM

Every school currently buying 2 kajillion iPads for remote learning sure can't hurt.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2020, 06:32 PM

I usually applaud the march of technology, but ****... iPad 2s would be great, cheap school tablets.

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2020, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I usually applaud the march of technology, but ****... iPad 2s would be great, cheap school tablets.
Our daughter uses my parents's old iPad 2 … and it is S-L-O-W. Even loading youtube is a pain. The new iPad, though, is a great buy, we got my parents one (to replace said iPad 2).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2020, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Our daughter uses my parents's old iPad 2 … and it is S-L-O-W. Even loading youtube is a pain. The new iPad, though, is a great buy, we got my parents one (to replace said iPad 2).
What OS? I don’t think they do it as much anymore, but Apple used to cripple these things. IIRC, 7 was fine, 9 is a dog. Full disclosure: I haven’t used them in awhile, but I have a fleet of 5, so I’m biased.

I’m sure it could still use a better ARM, and some more RAM, but the panels would be super cheap.

Stock batteries are a dream.

OreoCookie
Aug 20, 2020, 02:05 AM

What OS? I don’t think they do it as much anymore, but Apple used to cripple these things. IIRC, 7 was fine, 9 is a dog. Full disclosure: I haven’t used them in awhile, but I have a fleet of 5, so I’m biased.
It uses the latest OS and downgrading is no longer an option. Also, it is really a bummer I can't download apps anymore for it. Otherwise it'd be a perfect machine for a toddler. Well, at least it literally doesn't matter if this thing breaks or not.

The iPad 2 had an incredibly long life and we only replaced it (it was a Christmas gift), because the battery became unreliable and N-person FaceTime calls weren't supported. Honestly, the current iPad seems to be a worthy successor. It has plenty of CPU horsepower for what it is, has years of support ahead of it and a retina screen.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 20, 2020, 09:57 AM

We still have a couple of iPad 2s. Upgrading to 9 was a disaster. Later updates have helped but it's still a dog compared to what it was originally. Battery life is still fantastic. I use mine as a music stand to show tabs and notes while playing music. Wife's sits in a drawer somewhere. I mount it to the front headrest during longer road trips and load up Netflix and Amazon Prime for the kiddo. It won't let me download the kid's school apps, though, so we gave him the wife's old work iPhone over quarantine to do schoolwork. He should be getting an iPad through school for this year though. No more snow days!

mindwaves
Aug 20, 2020, 07:23 PM

Apple doesn't deserve this valuation. It isn't that important. Sure it is important but 2 trillion dollars worth? No.

Facebook is another example of a company that is wonderfully overvalued. It doesn't produce anything and its apps really stink (WhatsApp is still a basic messenger app with nothing special like Line or WeChat).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2020, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
(WhatsApp is still a basic messenger app with nothing special like Line or WeChat).
WhatsApp has 1.6 BILLION real, regular users.

It’s the default communications medium in much of the world.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2020, 05:29 AM

Apple doesn't deserve this valuation. It isn't that important. Sure it is important but 2 trillion dollars worth? No.

Facebook is another example of a company that is wonderfully overvalued. It doesn't produce anything and its apps really stink (WhatsApp is still a basic messenger app with nothing special like Line or WeChat).
Yeah but Facebook is now basically in control of western politics.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Aug 21, 2020, 11:32 PM

(WhatsApp is still a basic messenger app with nothing special like Line or WeChat).
It seems WhatsApp isn't popular in the US, but at least in Europe and Latin America it is the default messenger service. (Japan has Line, China WeChat.) I agree that it is nothing special and I would prefer to use Apple's Messenger, but not everybody is on iOS.

OreoCookie
Aug 22, 2020, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
We still have a couple of iPad 2s. Upgrading to 9 was a disaster.
Agreed. Unfortunately, there is AFAIK no way to downgrade, unless you happen to have a backup. I would also love to be able to download some legacy apps like Garageband. I wouldn't care if it is some ancient version, for a young child this is more than good enough.

P
Aug 24, 2020, 09:16 AM

Cheap in terms of what you could get one for used, sure. Cheap in terms of what they actually cost to make, no. I don't think an iPad 2 costs significantly less to manufacture in 2020 than the base model iPad in 2020.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Aug 26, 2020, 11:03 AM

So my question is when companies piss them off, like Epic Games, why don't they just buy them? Oh your'e being annoying, nice, we just bought you, and you and you and you are fired and here's how things will work now....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
So my question is when companies piss them off, like Epic Games, why don't they just buy them? Oh your'e being annoying, nice, we just bought you, and you and you and you are fired and here's how things will work now....
That could get real expensive, real fast. And then you have to do work to integrate or dismantle them or whatever.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Aug 26, 2020, 04:27 PM

Their financials wouldn't even be affected .01%.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 26, 2020, 05:17 PM

Apple stock valuation: 2 trillion
Epic equity valuation: 17.3 billion

0.865% of Apple's value, or approx 100x your estimate. High enough that stockholders would question an Apple acquisition. As a publicly traded company, Apple must generally spend money to make a profit. Blowing nearly 1% of the company's value to remove an annoyance does not contribute to profit margin.

Thorzdad  (op)
Aug 26, 2020, 05:29 PM

The situation doesn't warrant such an expensive move. In Epic's case, it's not like you could buy them up and shut the business down without seriously pissing-off millions of gamers, many of whom, no doubt, have iPhones, at the very least. And, history shows Apple has no interest in doing serious game development. Plus, it kind of creates a perverse incentive for others to piss-off Apple. There's just no up-side to Apple buying Epic, or any other such pain-in-the-ass shop. None.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Aug 27, 2020, 11:51 AM

Epic is worth 17 billion?!?!?! That seems... a bit of a stretch. But okay.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2020, 12:17 PM

Epic is worth 17 billion?!?!?! That seems... a bit of a stretch. But okay.
350 Million registered accounts and 3.3 billion hours played in a single month.

May be overrated, but it seems like a sensible ballpark figure.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 27, 2020, 12:52 PM

WikiPedia got it from this article. Run the math from their numbers and you get ~$17B.

Recall that Epic is also the game engine licensing company. Unreal Engine is used heavily, even in movie & TV production. ie - The Mandalorian.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Aug 27, 2020, 07:51 PM

Game engine licensing makes more sense for the number now. That is.... wild. Remember Unreal, the game? Think of how much shit spawned off from that. I wonder if any of that code is still present in modern games.

Forum Links
Forum Rules