Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shut down MBP to move it?

Shut down MBP to move it?
Cottontail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2009, 03:43 AM

So I just got a new unibody MBP. I mostly use it downstairs in the work area, but I do occasionally bring it upstairs. I've been shutting it down before moving it, but is it recommended to do so? It's not a bumpy trip, but I guess there is a slight chance of dropping it. Anyway, is it a good idea to shut it down before moving it or is it safe to just put it to sleep?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2009, 03:46 AM

There is no need to shut it down. Sleeping it (closing the lid) is just as good for this purpose.

However, if you move it carefully you don't have to sleep it at all. The disk will park when it senses acceleration (drops, knocks, etc.) anyway. If you end up dropping it it might be in better shape if it's closed. But there's no guarantee. Best thing to do is just not drop it.

OreoCookie
Sep 10, 2009, 04:28 AM

There is no need to shut down notebooks.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 06:28 AM

M y office machines go from room to room, floor to floor, in lifts etc - all with the lid open and running apps.

My previous machines have aways been treated the same way.

No issues to report, and certainly no need to shut them down, or in my case even sleep them.

TPC

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 10, 2009, 07:25 AM

I usually sleep my MBP when I move it from place to place while I'm using it. I do shut it down when I pack it up at the end of the day, but only because I don't know when I'll have a chance to charge it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2009, 12:12 AM

when i have sent in mac notebooks for repair, they typically are returned asleep in the box. if a sleeping machine can survive interstate shipping, it'll go upstairs no problem.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 12:16 AM

If you had to shut a laptop down every time you wanted to move it, laptops would be basically worthless as portable machines. It's surprising to see the kinds of computing myths people come up with and accept.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2009, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
when i have sent in mac notebooks for repair, they typically are returned asleep in the box.
We would never do that in my shop. Sure, nothing *should* happen, but it seems to me that's just promising the customer a dead battery on arrival.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 01:13 AM

The whole point of a notebook is to be able to move it wherever you want. No shutting down required.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

xpsonic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2009, 04:11 AM

Ive never heard of this turning it off before moving it because of course I always just close the lid when I move my macbook. But now I learned something new about the disk will park when it senses acceleration... is that true?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by xpsonic View Post
But now I learned something new about the disk will park when it senses acceleration... is that true?
Of course. Apple calls it "Sudden Motion Sensor". It's been in Macs for years.

Apple Portables: About the Sudden Motion Sensor

Originally Posted by Apple
The Sudden Motion Sensor is designed to detect unusually strong vibrations, sudden changes in position or accelerated movement. If the computer is dropped, the Sudden Motion Sensor instantly parks the hard drive heads to help reduce the risk of damage to the hard drive on impact. When the Sudden Motion Sensor senses that the Apple portable's position is once again stable, it unlocks the hard drive heads, and you are up and running within seconds.
Some hard drives come with similar technology built right into the drive too.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 09:09 AM

I often ride my bike 2 miles with my laptop in a pannier (aka saddlebag) strapped to the rack, and I don't turn it off, just sleep it. Hasn't caused problems yet, and I've been bringing it with me a lot lately.

Forum Links
Forum Rules