Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Animation Software Advice?

Animation Software Advice?
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2004, 11:02 PM

I've done a lot of hand-drawn animation stuff, and I really like animating. I don't really have the equipment or the time to do the hand animations the way I like them, because I usually scan my frames into the computer and color them in Photoshop and then animate with After Effects.

I want to get into some program that will make animating easier and less paper-intensive. I've dabbled around in Flash, but I find the interface a little obtuse. Can someone either recommend a good alternative to Flash that's really user-friendly or some video tutorials for flash that are cheap? I'm basically incapable of putting myself through computer instruction manuals, so book recommendations won't be very useful to me.

Here's a 30 second sample of my hand-drawn stuff to give you an idea of the look I'll be trying to recreate:

http://www.badcharacter.com/ass/kneebone/kneebone1.mov

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 02:19 PM

Interesting video. Get a Wacom tablet. That can solve your problems about not using a hand drawn animation tool.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 10:48 PM

I actually have one. I pretty much hate it. I can't get lines to do what I want with it. If the screen was the tablet I doubt I'd have that problem, but I can't afford those things

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2004, 12:18 PM

I think you ask for two things:
an animation software as, just an example:
http://www.istopmotion.com/
(that's more for the hobbiest, I'm sure you'll find better ones)

and a way spending less trees� paper.

of course, it is a great difference for an experienced painter/desginer to switch from pen/paper to digitizer, your whole hand/eye coordination has to "switch"� but I believe, the mentioned wacom (or whatever brand) is the only way� or, the inaffordable solution, a cintiq http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/imag...Cintiq18SX.jpg

most (all?) animation software allows to "paint" direct into the app; but therefore you need anykind of digitizer, am I right?

drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2005, 07:37 PM

Toon Boom is designed for your needs. However, despite claims, it's fairly complex. There were problems with OS X updates too.

Check it out all the same. It might be what you're after.

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2005, 08:44 AM

what kmunic says is right, using a wacom tablet well requires you to adapt your hand eye co-ordination

one trick you can use to improve your ability with a tablet is to practise stll life drawing without looking at the paper, only the object you're drawing (no cheating !)

it improves you're sense of kineathesia (spelling?) for your hand and is a pretty common technique taught in drawing classes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules