Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Serious question: Is it possible to develop XML in the Mac?

Serious question: Is it possible to develop XML in the Mac?
radii_22
Feb 6, 2003, 12:46 PM

It's a fact: XML is the future of the web. How we, web designers using a Mac, are going to do our business in a platform which hardly support XML by the client side?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

???

--->>>

Pd. I love mac

--->>> Karate is only for defense

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2003, 02:55 PM

I don't understand. I've been using XML for ages on the Mac; it's plain text, so it's easy to work with. What do you want to do?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 05:52 PM

what do you mean by poor support? I've never had any issues with XML

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by radii_22:
It's a fact: XML is the future of the web. How we, web designers using a Mac, are going to do our business in a platform which hardly support XML by the client side?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

???

--->>>

Pd. I love mac

??? Most OSX prefs are based on XML...

Works fine for me ...

ever try opening an XML file on Internet Explorer... Now it would be nice if Safari did that!
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2003, 08:35 PM

Troll??

I have a hard time believing you even know what XML *is* much less that you are a web designer.

phidauex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 11:44 AM

I'd say that working with XML is prefered on a mac, because it easily works with unix and msdos style line-breaks, both of which are commonly found online.

Though frankly, they are just text files.. Any text editor can use them, and text editors like BBEdit (for the mac, of course) are exceptionally good at it due to syntax highlighting and auto-indentation.

Go learn about XML, then do some of it, and then tell us if it works to your satisfaction.

peace,
sam

frogstar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 09:05 PM

Perhaps radii_22 is reffering to the lack of a consistent API to deal with XML programmatically. The Core foundation XML processing API is very hard to use and doesn't offer a good DOM implementation like other platforms.

Sure, it's easy to write XML in a text editor on a Mac but it's a whole lot more difficult to actually do something useful with that information in your programs!

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by frogstar:
Perhaps radii_22 is reffering to the lack of a consistent API to deal with XML programmatically. The Core foundation XML processing API is very hard to use and doesn't offer a good DOM implementation like other platforms.

Sure, it's easy to write XML in a text editor on a Mac but it's a whole lot more difficult to actually do something useful with that information in your programs!
Somehow, I don't think thats what he meant.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2003, 01:48 AM

CoreFoundation has two XML-processing API's, actually: a low-level one and a high-level one. The low-level API appears to be basically SAX. This is not actually difficult to use; it's just a different way of thinking. Sometimes the high-level API is better to use, but sometimes the low-level one is better; it all depends on what you're doing.

Also, though I have yet to use the high-level interface, I'm reading the documentation, and this looks suspiciously like the DOM to me.

...and if all else fails, I believe they also include expat; that'll get the job done.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

bygimis
Feb 18, 2003, 12:58 PM

Remember that you can use the various Java XML API's
Nobody made a greater mistake than
he who did nothing because he could only
do a little. Edmund Burke

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
Somehow, I don't think thats what he meant.
Um is he referring to the fact that most mac browsers won't parse xml directly (so u;d heard) but sure that doesn't matter anyway as at the very least flash mx offers a wya of veiwing xml files in a mac browser, however i will freely admit i may have got the wrong end of the stick .
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Griggsy:
Um is he referring to the fact that most mac browsers won't parse xml directly (so u;d heard) but sure that doesn't matter anyway as at the very least flash mx offers a wya of veiwing xml files in a mac browser, however i will freely admit i may have got the wrong end of the stick .
sorry for returning to an old post, but i thought it would be better than posting a new one with a same topic about a similar question. . .is this why the xml document i create at school (windows) won't work at home on my mac (with either Safari or IE)? or is there something wrong with my code that IE:windows will glide over? i can post the code if need be, but i don't want to do that unless there is a need to since it works in one place (though i would rather it worked at home).

also, are there any GUI/IDE xml editors for the mac? i don't mind hand coding, but if there was something that would help with code completion and verification, i wouldn't pass it up. thanks!!

nick
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 10:44 PM

Your probably is probably simply a matter of line endings. Open up your doc in BBedit lite and change it to your target platform before you open it. XML is just text, this thread was just flame bait. BTW the Dev tools do contain a plist editor which is neat if your into that kind of thing.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 11:26 PM

Your probably is probably simply a matter of line endings. Open up your doc in BBedit lite and change it to your target platform before you open it. XML is just text, this thread was just flame bait. BTW the Dev tools do contain a plist editor which is neat if your into that kind of thing.
but plist editor would not help me with fixing things for websites/document display, right? where would i make that change in bbedit lite? and then just keep two versions of the same document so that i can use it at home & school?

thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 11:27 PM

I don't know what you mean, what are you trying to do?

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 11:32 PM

I don't know what you mean, what are you trying to do?
in class we are working with taking a file (resume.xml) and displaying it in a browser and looking nice (right now, resume.xls)
and i wanted to work on the file(s) at home and preview them. . .but i either get gobbledygook or a blank page or just a line or two of information.

but if i were to want to change the prefs or create my own plist.xml file, plist editor would allow me to do that and have everything nice (if coded correctly, right?) thanks!

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 11:33 PM

im not sure, how are you viewing the xmls at school and what are you using to try and edit, and view them at home?

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 11:36 PM

im not sure, how are you viewing the xmls at school and what are you using to try and edit, and view them at home?
edit with notepad at school, view with IE. at home i plan on using either textedit or bbedit lite (or, perhaps vi . . .) and view them with Safari (preferred, and a no go when i tried) or IE (again, a no go). since they are text files, i think they would be fine in textedit. . .though when i double-click (out of curiousity sake) it does open plist editor, but none of my file shows up.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 11:38 PM

And when you view the file on a PC what do you see, just the contents of the text file?

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 11:40 PM

And when you view the file on a PC what do you see, just the contents of the text file?
in IE? nope, i see the file formatted correctly.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 11:41 PM

What does formatted correctly mean? Its an XML file, its just text no?

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 11:44 PM

What does formatted correctly mean? Its an XML file, its just text no?
right, but we are also getting it to format as well with transformations/html. but at home, it doesn't even pull up just the text with the markings lined out.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 11:45 PM

Why don't you send me a copy of this file
forums at johnmasone dot com

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 11:46 PM

Why don't you send me a copy of this file
forums at johnmasone dot com
will do. thanks!

it is not working right now, i will try again later. sorry! thanks for the help.
( Last edited by zanyterp; Nov 9, 2004 at 11:51 PM. )

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 01:15 PM

right, but we are also getting it to format as well with transformations/html. but at home, it doesn't even pull up just the text with the markings lined out.
I think the confusion here is coming from the fact that IE on Windows will automatically perform XSLT transformations - all you have to do is put in a tag that reads
Code:
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="stylesheet.xsl"?>
and IE will load the stylesheet and perform the transformation on the client. Safari doesn't do that, and neither does IE Mac.

However, the Mozilla family of browsers will do it, and reasonably well. So, I think what radii_22 needs to do is download a Mozilla browser (personally I like FireFox), and then he will be able to view his xml files formatted just like they would on IE. The only problems with this solution that I've encountered are: FireFox is a lot more fussy about the formatting of the URL in the stylesheet declaration than Internet Explorer. For example, I've always had to have my URLs fully qualified, and file:// URLs don't work at all.

Other than that, it works just like IE on Windows. Probably better.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2004, 05:09 PM

He also hasn't been back to tell us his success or failures.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
He also hasn't been back to tell us his success or failures.
if by this you mean me, sorry i was just able to check it last night. my baby has been teething and so when he finally gets to sleep, i am reluctant to go in the computer/nursery room to do work--even if my wife would let me. but i had a minute before leaving for work this morning and had downloaded firefox before and it displays nice. thanks everyone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules