Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using OmniOutliner files in OmniGraffle

Using OmniOutliner files in OmniGraffle
Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2003, 01:47 PM

I must be missing somthing here, because when I import my .ooutline file into OmniGraffle, all my boxes are called "TOPIC"

That kinda negates the usefulness of outliner. (At least as a tool for building OmniGraffle flow charts)...

In the past I have used Inspiration, and it has this great "rapid Fire" option that would let you quickly add sub boxes to the one you are on by just typing the title, and hitting return. In this way you could quickly brain storm and have your thoughts plotted out...

Outliner could be used in this same way if it would title the boxes in some useful way...

Any one have any ideas???

Any Omni folk out there???
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Alex Duffield  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2003, 07:38 PM

Not that it seems that any one realy cares, but I just tryed the 3.01 beta of Omni Graffle with my outline file, and it names things properly...

I guess Ill have to fork over the money for the upgrade!
Alex Duffield
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

gregomni
Forum Regular
May 9, 2003, 07:46 PM

Hey Alex,

The latest OmniOutliner (version 2.2) broke importing into the old OmniGraffle. While it would be great if you decided to pay to upgrade to Graffle 3, there is also a OmniGraffle 2.2 RC1 release on the OmniGraffle download page which is a free update to version 2 that also fixes this problem.

So you can grab that one to correctly import files from the latest version of Outliner without giving us any $$$$.

I think you'd find Graffle 3 worth the upgrade price though. :-)

Macola
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 10:03 PM

Not affiliated with Omni, but I would say the upgrade is worth it (I have the Pro version).

The only negative is that Omni never responded to my e-mail asking about interface bugs and general slowness in non-Quartz Extreme Macs (hint to gregomni... )
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Alex Duffield  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Macola:
Not affiliated with Omni, but I would say the upgrade is worth it (I have the Pro version).

The only negative is that Omni never responded to my e-mail asking about interface bugs and general slowness in non-Quartz Extreme Macs (hint to gregomni... )
Ya, I would have to agree with both these comments, as I email Omni directly a couple times with my questions, and never got a responce back... I guess MacNN is the official support chanel for Omni, as I got a responce (and a good one!) within 12 hours!!!

I use a 500mhz iBook a lot, and have noticed that OmniGraffle 3 is increadably slow at times, (to the point that it is not usable) especially using the new tool pallets (they are incredibly cool though!!)

I think now that I can use Outliner with OmniGraffle 2, Ill wait till the next 3.x update in hopes that it gets this bug fixed.

Any how, thanks Greg, I'll be all over that 3.x upgrade once you get the kinks out!!!
Alex Duffield

gregomni
Forum Regular
May 10, 2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
My apologies that we haven't gotten back to you yet. Our main Graffle support person left us very recently (He decided to graduate and go get an aeronautical engineering job instead of continuing to answer our customers' email. Bizarre decision, I know, but we support him no matter what strange career directions he decides to take....)

Anyway, we hired a new guy and he's still coming up to speed, not to mention the 3.0 release has caused a veritable avalanche of email.

But yes, we're working hard at this very moment to get out a 3.0.1 which has some speed improvements and bug fixes. There is a 3.0.1 beta download available now that you can try out if you're too impatient to wait for the final 3.0.1.

Hope this helps,
-- Greg

Macola
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by gregomni:

But yes, we're working hard at this very moment to get out a 3.0.1 which has some speed improvements and bug fixes. There is a 3.0.1 beta download available now that you can try out if you're too impatient to wait for the final 3.0.1.

Hope this helps,
-- Greg
Thanks for the response...I'll wait for the final release update, but it's good to hear that it's on its way.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules