Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook and Verizon Wireless Aircard 555

Powerbook and Verizon Wireless Aircard 555
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2002, 02:13 PM

Does anyone know if drivers are available, or there is any other way to use the Sierra Wireless Aircard 555, offered by Verizon with a G4 powerbook?

Thanks

Yose
Senior User
Jul 3, 2002, 02:48 PM

I posted this same question not to long... no answer However I was interested in using it with a Canadian based service - perhaps thats why nobody knew anything about it.

Good luck!
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

MMask
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2002, 04:43 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
<strong>Does anyone know if drivers are available, or there is any other way to use the Sierra Wireless Aircard 555, offered by Verizon with a G4 powerbook?

Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I posted the same general question under a prior post
"wireless PC card modem connectivity"

I need this option too. I use sprint and they have an aircard from sierra as well, but only for windows. I have emailed a rep at sierra but got not firm answer.

jdm5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 07:43 AM

bump.

For the record, I just ordered a Powerbook G4 (yes, I'm a switcher...I manage the server support team for a major NY financial institution, and I've decided to try something new). I've been using the Aircard 555 in my Thinkpad for almost 6 months, and can't imagine commuting without it.

powerpage.org has an ongoing thread on this topic, but with no resolution. I'm not a UNIX guru, but I wonder if this card works under FreeBSD could it be made to work under OS X? I guess that will be my next search.

ltitle
Aug 23, 2002, 02:44 PM

I too am looking for a wireless internet solution for my G4. I called Sierra Wireless this week and was point blank told they do not offer Macintosh support now, nor are they planning to ever support macs. So much for you switchers.

Alternatively, does any one know whether there are macintosh compatible solutions for using a digital (internet ready= 2.5G) cellphone as a wireless modem with the G4.
lawrence

ltitle
Aug 23, 2002, 03:00 PM

I too am looking for a wireless internet solution for my G4. I called Sierra Wireless this week and was point blank told they do not offer Macintosh support now, nor are they planning to ever support macs. So much for you switchers.

Alternatively, does any one know whether there are macintosh compatible solutions for using a digital (internet ready= 2.5G) cellphone as a wireless modem with the G4.
lawrence

jdm5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2003, 07:24 AM

I emailed Sierra Wireless again (I'm persistent if nothing else); this time got a more promising response:

Thank you for your interest in our products and company.

We have realized internal lab tests and verified both our AirCard 750 and the AirCard 555 work on the Macintosh notebook provided Macintosh introduces a couple of small changes to their OS. We will be able to provide a solution to Macintosh users as soon as Apple proceeds with these changes.

Best Regards,

Oscar Chavarria

Oscar Chavarria
Sales Representative
Sierra Wireless.com <http://www.sierrawireless.com/>
[email protected]
Dir. 604.232-1462 General. 604.231-1100 Fax 604.233-6333

Sounds promising...for those of you interested in the Aircard in OS X please feel free to email Oscar and express your support!

jdm5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 07:17 AM

I stumbled on the solution! Alex C. Snoeren's page here describes how to get the Aircard working -- I am typing this on the train using my 555!

sting0r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 10:35 AM

No WAY!!!! I just sold my PB PISMO G3 400 and got a 12" PB. I decided to go the bluetooth route instead of the Aircard. Dammit, I wish the 12" had a pc card slight. I love the aircard. I use it with my Sony Picturebook.....Oh well, what can u do.... Good find though....Any chance you can send me your binaries so I don't have to compile the drive. I will see if I can try it out on a Ti

Forum Links
Forum Rules