Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will Mac Air be more powerful than current laptop?

Will Mac Air be more powerful than current laptop?
liberatortoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2014, 04:06 PM

I have a windows 64 bit laptop with the following spec:

Processor - AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.65GHz
4GB RAM

It astruggles with batch processing in photoshop and video playback.

What I want to know is would a Mac Air be able to better cope?

Thanks for help in advance

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 17, 2014, 04:14 PM

It struggles with video playback? What are you playing back that it chokes on?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2014, 04:18 AM

That 4GB of RAM is certainly part of the struggle you're having. I don't know if a Mac Air would that, since there's no such thing, but a MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM or more should have no problem with your workload as described, presuming you're saving to an external disk or have a lot of space on the internal SSD.

OTOH, perhaps the PC you're using now would work better with SSD and much more RAM. I suspect it would.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 18, 2014, 06:38 AM

What brand is that Windows laptop? Some are well integrated and will work fine, while other brands just aren't well integrated. The parts don't make up for not designing the laptop well, which means that it's possible a different brand of laptop with the same CPU, video, memory and hard drive could run rings around yours...

One thing nobody has ever had a big beef with Apple about is how well their computers are thought out and realized. That means that sometimes the hardware is "underutilized" or "underclocked," but when you tell the machine to do something, it does it without choking (at least with a Mac that's not quite old). My 2006 MacBook Pro does everything I ask it, and only now and then hesitates before doing. The hardware in that machine is nowhere near as fast or new as in your laptop, but it "just works" because there are no real bottlenecks and stumbling blocks built in.

The MBA isn't the fastest of Apple's laptops, but it is robust, especially for its size and weight. The current generation of MacBook Airs should be pretty darn fast compared to your Windows laptop, even though the clock speed looks slower.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Oct 19, 2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by liberatortoo View Post
I have a windows 64 bit laptop with the following spec:

Processor - AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.65GHz
4GB RAM

It astruggles with batch processing in photoshop and video playback.

What I want to know is would a Mac Air be able to better cope?

Thanks for help in advance
That processor is one of AMDs "small core" processors, made to compete with Intel's Atom. Any "big core" CPU, like the one in a MacBook Air, will be significantly faster.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules