Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MS Bluetooth Mouse - 10.2.5 update

MS Bluetooth Mouse - 10.2.5 update
GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 12:39 PM

From 10.2.5 update info:

"Bluetooth Setup Assistant now works with certain Microsoft keyboards and mouse devices."

If anyone has the MS BT Mouse & Keyboard, let us know if this update makes it work with the 17" PB Please.

Thanks!
( Last edited by GeekyJeff; Apr 11, 2003 at 08:54 PM. )
Dual 2.0Ghz PM 23" Al Cinema Display
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

iDORK
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by GeekyJeff:
From 10.2.5 update info:

"Bluetooth Setup Assistant now works with certain Microsoft keyboards and mouse devices."

If anyone has the MS BT Mouse & Keyboard, let us know if this update makes it work with the 17" PB Please.

Thanks!
Check out the peripherals forum - there is a topic on this which a user claims it is currently working with his Mac.

GeekyJeff  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 01:11 PM

It says that they tried it with the included USB bluetooth adapter. I wanted to know if anyone had it working with the bluetooth included with the 17" PB.
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

GeekyJeff  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 08:56 PM

I'm asking here in the PB forum because I wanted to know if anyone has tried it with the built in BT of the 17"?
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 02:13 AM

I installed 10.2.5 today on my 17" and bought the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse. It works fine. The range is REALLY far. You can even scroll and click the buttons while holding the mouse in midair.

Now for the caveats.

There is no software for it. Microsoft Intellipoint download is presumably for USB only. The included CD won't even mount on Mac OS X (it just ejects) because it appears to be CDFS. USB Overdrive also didn't see the mouse, presumably because it's on Bluetooth and not USB.

So you can't adjust the settings. But the left and right mouse buttons works, the scroll wheel works, and it will respond to tweaks in the Mouse preference panel.

I have 30 days to return it if I want. I kinda hope Apple releases a Bluetooth mouse in that time.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 12, 2003, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by LosJackal:
I kinda hope Apple releases a Bluetooth mouse in that time.
With two buttons and a scroll wheel...

Macdizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2003, 07:04 AM

Will the BT keyboard works the same way as the USB one i.e. you can close the lid of the PB and it goes to sleep, and then you just plug in, or in this case, activate the BT keyboard and it will wake up the PB to work with the external monitor. That would REALLY be great especially with the BT version. Anyone has tried this? If so, please give some feedback. Thanks.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 12, 2003, 07:15 AM

I would doubt the PowerBook would still be running the Bluetooth circuitry whilst in sleep mode - you'd flatten the battery!

urrl5201
Apr 12, 2003, 01:40 PM

Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse seem to work fine so far. Each has its own AA batteries, which came in the box and each device can work independently or without the other without plugging anything into the computer. Range seems to be about 8 feet. Wierd to see things work with absolutely nothing plugged in, especially with the 17" running on battery also.
Just one problem. I have to keep remembering to stop reaching over the bluetooth keyboard to type on the 17"!!!
If Apple comes out with a cooler color like aluminum or clear or white I can always return this within 2 weeks...but if Apple comes out with a single button bluetooth mouse I will just laugh and keep what I have.
It also came with a USB adapter for printers and such.

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 12, 2003, 10:29 PM

who here thinks apple will release a keyboard or mouse? not me for one. but i hope and pray for it.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

k2director
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 01:10 AM

I think there's a good chance that Apple will do it. It's the kind of thing that PC makers won't include on their machines, and having a standard wireless keyboard/mouse on new Macs would be a cool, distinguishing feature....the kind of thing that is very easy to convey to customers, press, etc. I bet it happens within a year on certain machines.

Forum Links
Forum Rules