Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Microsoft offers access to Office365 to college students

Microsoft offers access to Office365 to college students
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 11, 2013, 02:53 PM

Microsoft is offering students in US colleges access to the educational version of Office 365 at no charge. The free three months of access Office 365 University, doubled to six months after sharing the offer on Facebook, also includes an extra 20GB allocation of SkyDrive cloud-based storage and 60 minutes of Skype calls each month.

The offer is being marketed with a video featuring Aubrey Plaza of Parks & Recreation, explaining to students how they could use the combination of Office 365 and Skydrive to collaborate together remotely. Normally costing $80 for a four-year subscription, Office 365 University provides users with the latest version of the popular office suite on PC and Mac, as well as remote access through Office on Demand on a computer, or through the SkyDrive app on mobile devices. In comparison, the Home Premium version costs $100 per year for up to five computers.

sunman42
Mar 11, 2013, 03:24 PM

The first time is fee.... or so the local dealer always used to say.

sunman42
Mar 11, 2013, 03:25 PM

The first time is free.... or so the local dealer always used to say. [sorry, spelling error]

Flying Meat
Senior User
Mar 11, 2013, 03:42 PM

No thanks.

ricardogf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2013, 03:52 PM

Thanks MS; but no, thanks.
Mac OS X: Because Windows Sucks

pairof9s
Senior User
Mar 11, 2013, 04:06 PM

...you do realize why all these college kids switched to Google Docs in the first place, don't you?! That's not going to change in 6 months..nor 6 decades!!

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2013, 05:21 PM

and then get your wallet ready...... no thank you, MS.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2013, 05:35 PM

Aubrey Plaza costarred in Safety Not Guaranteed last year.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2013, 06:16 PM

for anyone.
Not the student's that have asked me.
Not the relatives that have asked me.
Not the company I work for.
It's just a bad deal.
Others have sompared it to a drug dealer, and that is not far off. Once you've started using Office365 it's harder then heck to get your data back no matter what MS decides to charge.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

bjojade
Mar 12, 2013, 12:46 PM

For a home, Office used to be $150 for 3 users, with upgrades coming every 3-4 years. So, if you actually had 5 computers you needed it on, it was $300 for 6 user licenses, with paid upgrades when they came out. But, if you were happy with your existing version, there would be no need to upgrade.

Now, it's $100 per year, even if you have only 1 computer! Don't pay the extortion fee, and bam, bye bye office. Compare this to iWork, where you can get all 3 apps for $60 and use them on every mac you own forever. Want to add iOS versions? Add another $30 for a total of $90. Hmmm, what's a better deal??

Forum Links
Forum Rules