Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new june 2009 MBP trackpad issue .. help asap please ?

new june 2009 MBP trackpad issue .. help asap please ?
2bcool2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2009, 09:19 AM

hi
just got my new 15" MBP and its great except the track pad seems loose and horrible to use ..
sometimes the click isnt recognised when dragging a window, and the pointer will go off somewhere
when clicking.

yes i have updated all sofware inc the new trackpad firmware etc

and the click is very loud, feels horrible

previous mbp you could screw the trackpad to make it better under the battery.. but the new ones have
new 5 star screw that i dont know of anywhere in uk that sells them .. maplins didnt.

i am thinking of returning it ..
but im thinking ill just get another with same problem ..

just wondered if anyone knew where to get a 5 point driver for the battery in uk online ?

what do you guys suggest ?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2009, 10:34 AM

It's a loud click because it is new. With time, the click sound will diminish. Although I don't even see why you need to click - tap to click makes things a lot easier. I haven't experienced any movement of the mouse like that or anything - perhaps your sensitivity is too high?

Maybe go to another store and feel the trackpad. If the other feels a lot better, you may have a bad trackpad.

2bcool2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2009, 01:22 PM

thanks for your reply.
i see so many posts that say you dont need the click button, but i hate the double tap to drag
as its so slow to let go of the window dragged, also i do use tap alot .. but using apps like logic you need to
hold the button down to get the pull down menu and i drag alot of files around etc

the button is essential for apps

it feels like it needs adjusting badly .. but apple have stopped that by putting a battery over the screw using a 5 point screw on the battery... which i cant find the right screwdriver for other wise im sure i could adjust it perfectly.

im holding off sending it back, but as i type another problem has arisen .. my new 24" display is making loud crackling / pop/ticking noises like its gonna crack ...
thats worrying .. ive had it 4 days .. when i got it theres couple dust specs under the glass and a small smudge on the inside of the glass too .. but i can live with those ..the crackle now though is not good for such an expensive display :-(

anyone know where to buy the 5 star screwdriver in uk ?

thanks

ibook_steve
Jun 29, 2009, 02:26 PM

I know nothing about hardware stores in the UK, but are you telling me none of them have standard Torx screwdrivers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

But even then, if the trackpad is bothering you, take it to an Apple store (there is one in London, right?). Don't risk your warranty.

Finally, if you need accurate mousing, get a mouse. You'll be much happier than just using the trackpad for everything.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

2bcool2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2009, 04:47 PM

cheers ..

i dont think this is a standard torx screwdriver ... its a 5 point star driver .. it used to be a tri -screwdriver for past mbp

sure i could take it to an apple store an hour away .. but im pretty sure ive read they take it in for 3-5 days to get it fixed.
and even then it may still come back not great.

ive used a mouse before and had 4 macbooks over the years and really like the trackpads over a mouse ..

if my display has to go back , i might just send them both back .. they only 4 days old .. i kinda expect a bit more quality for the high price of the mbp and display .. especially with uk high prices :-(

if anyone has info what exact screwdriver i need , please let me know ... thanks

ibook_steve
Jun 29, 2009, 08:58 PM

According to iFixit's teardown:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBo...-Unibody/590/1

It's a standard T6 Torx. Apple may use a lot of screws, but they're all standard.

Steve

2bcool2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2009, 03:06 AM

thanks , but thats the old 15" with the old battery,

even their breakdown of 13" shows different screws (tri wing)

ive opened up my mbp and its 5 point star scews .. look like a new screw

even the wiki link above shows its not a torx

:-(

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2009, 07:13 AM

Can you post a picture of the new screw? As ibook_steve says, Apple doesn't invent new screws. There is bound to be a screwdriver available for this one, and once we know what it is, we'll start looking for a source.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

2bcool2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2009, 02:24 AM

display and mbp being replaced today , but i found this photo and text about the new screw

http://solardriftwood.com/macbookprobattery.html

very interesting how is vey hard to get hold of a driver for this screw.

your comments please :-)

ibook_steve
Jul 2, 2009, 04:15 AM

Weird, but you do realize you could just use a small flathead screwdriver on either of those Torx screws.

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 07:28 AM

Steve is right-true "security" screws have a post in the middle of their driver depression, preventing the use of regular tools, but that 5-point is just asking for the right width of flat blade to pop in and turn it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

2bcool2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2009, 09:04 AM

cool guys ..i did try a flathead, but probably wasnt exact match ...

i made need to try it if my replacement mbp has same crappy click feel

i also noticed that becasue the pad is the button if you click it with your thumb
sometimes your thumb moves while clicking and selecting wrong dropdown, or missing
bar etc ...

im guessing thats how they all are now with this new button.. which is a shame if thats true ...
my last mbp had the perfect feel and click :-(

apart from that, really love this latest mbp

cheers fellas

2bcool2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2009, 12:47 PM

i just wanted to give an update on my track pad problem.

i got a replacement 2009 mbp, and the trackpad on the replacement was a great deal better :-)
im happy now ... it feels great and im 100% happy with this excellent new 15".

i also had a 24" display relaced.. and i still had a spec of duct in it plus dead pixels in top right corner
but not enough to bug me :-)

thanks to all for the advice

fin.

Forum Links
Forum Rules