Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > BAD NEWS! - no statview for os x - help!

BAD NEWS! - no statview for os x - help!
dividend
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2002, 06:10 AM

This sucks BIG time, statview http://www.statview.com/ is not going to release a OS X version of statview. Does anyone know of any other alternative for OS X, because this means I will have to run classic for EVER, and how fun is that?

JonML
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2002, 06:30 AM

GraphPad from Prism is supposed to be converted to OS X "soon". What stats exactly are you trying to perform?
JML

dividend  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2002, 06:34 AM

not any really serious, doing it in school, but excel is not good enough for me and statview is very easy to use so it really sucks it is not coming. i will check out your suggestion - thanx!

<BlackGriffen>
Feb 7, 2002, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by dividend:
<STRONG>not any really serious, doing it in school, but excel is not good enough for me and statview is very easy to use so it really sucks it is not coming. i will check out your suggestion - thanx!</STRONG>
Let's see. You can do a bit of number crunching in Appleworks/Excel. For graphing, I always use gnuplot. It supports error bars, histograms, and curve fits. That's all I've found that I've needed in my studies, thus far. There is also R. Here is the product overview from versiontracker (just search for statistics):

"R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics. It is a GNU project which is similar to the S language and environment which was developed at Bell Laboratories (formerly AT&T, now Lucent Technologies) by John Chambers and colleagues. R can be considered as a different implementation of S. There are some important differences, but much code written for S runs unaltered under R.
R provides a wide variety of statistical (linear and nonlinear modelling, classical statistical tests, time-series analysis, classification, clustering, ...) and graphical techniques, and is highly extensible. The S language is often the vehicle of choice for research in statistical methodology, and R provides an Open Source route to participation in that activity.
One of R's strengths is the ease with which well-designed publication-quality plots can be produced, including mathematical symbols and formulae where needed. Great care has been taken over the defaults for the minor design choices in graphics, but the user retains full control.
R is available as Free Software under the terms of the Free Software Foundation's GNU General Public License in source code form. It compiles and runs out of the box on a wide variety of UNIX platforms and similar systems (including FreeBSD and Linux). It also compiles and runs on Windows 9x/NT/2000 and MacOS. "

Good luck!

Thanx
BlackGriffen

JonML
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2002, 06:47 AM

Woops, it's "Prism" from GraphPad.. here is the webpage:
http://www.graphpad.com/welcome.htm
JML

TiDual
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by dividend:
<STRONG>This sucks BIG time, statview http://www.statview.com/ is not going to release a OS X version of statview. Does anyone know of any other alternative for OS X, because this means I will have to run classic for EVER, and how fun is that?</STRONG>
Due to lack of OS X support from SPSS, Statistica, and Statview we recently switched to Stata (www.stata.com) on *all* platforms. Stata runs on OS X, windows, Solaris, and Linux. The interface isn't as nice as Statistica (which is a wonderful app, but not enough to make me run Windows), but it seems solid & powerful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules