Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Consumer Reports says it's testing iPhone 6, 6 Plus bending

Consumer Reports says it's testing iPhone 6, 6 Plus bending
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 25, 2014, 04:01 PM

Consumer Reports is in the process of testing the bending limits of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, according to an official post. To run the tests the publication is using a machine capable of up to 1,000 pounds of force, something it previously used to test the intentionally pliable LG G Flex. The new iPhones are supposed to remain rigid, but the 6 Plus, at least, is bending in some owners' pockets after having been in there for just a few hours, according to claims.

Apple insists that it has only received nine complaints so far, but media stories on the issue are widespread, with videos apparently proving the vulnerability of the 6 Plus. The flagship iPhone 6 is less likely to bend, but may be easier to damage than some competing phones.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 30, 2014 at 05:23 AM. )

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2014, 06:20 PM

Watched a video on YouTube yesterday where some clown was demonstrating the Plus flexing. He was putting all the pressure on it that he could to get it to bend...might as well have put it in a vice.

Just got my Plus today, and I don't think I'll have a problem with it. Just don't sit on your sensitive electronics - how complicated is that?

TomMcIn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2014, 07:33 PM

Didn't Consumer Reports do another "famous" study on iPhones? Will be interesting to see if their findings are useful this time.

just a poster
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2014, 08:01 PM

I have always carried my cell phone in my back pocket. I may sit down somewhere without taking my phone out of my back pocket. It shouldn't be bent. If it is, it's not the device for me and I would be very disappointed to have spent hundreds on a device to have it damaged so easily.

All Apple needs to do to fix this is insert two rigid, non-bendable sticks alongside the length of the iphone's inner case and the problem is solved. Instead of blaming the consumer, apple should step up and fix the problem in its industrial design and manufacturing process.

it's embarrassing to see people defend this flaw or blame customers.

ADeweyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2014, 02:33 PM

I agree somewhat with just a poster -- the amount of defensiveness on the part of the Apple fans is over the top on this one. I also agree that this is large, phablet device that is poorly suited to being carried in a pants pocket anyway (I can't imagine trying to squeeze it into my jeans pocket), and some degree of "what were you expecting" is appropriate.

But the idea that it would be simple to insert two rigid structures in such a tightly engineered device is kind of ridiculous -- yes, that might do it, but it would also mean the phone would have to get wider, or sacrifice an amount of battery life.

Let's wait and see. It may be that there was a flaw in a batch or two of phones, and the aluminum wasn't up to snuff -- or it may be a design flaw that will have to be remedied one way or another. I can see Apple offering 6Plus users a free (rigid) case like they did for the iPhone 4 antenna complaints.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Sep 26, 2014, 06:12 PM

Seems like a lot of trouble for nine complaints.

Forum Links
Forum Rules