Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Shared Volume Blues...

Shared Volume Blues...
Seamus
Forum Regular
May 11, 2003, 10:15 PM

OK, here's what's happening to me. I have a tower mac and an ibook, and when I'm at home I mount the ibook's hard drive on the tower. Sometimes I'll be a little careless and disconnect the ibook from the network without unmounting the drive on the tower. This causes the tower to go into the spinning cursor of death...in EVERY application. I know I'm not SUPPOSED to simply remove the ibook like that, but you'd think that the computer could handle the issue without locking up.

It also seems to happen after long periods of inactivity between the mounted drive and the computer I'm using (no, the ibook is not going to sleep). Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing...
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

zachs
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 11:45 PM

That happens to me.

Try re-connecting the computer to the network, then properly unmounting the drive.

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
That happens to me.

Try re-connecting the computer to the network, then properly unmounting the drive.
Seems rather careless to me. Basically, I left for my campus, and when I came home...5 hours later...the spinning beachball greeted me in the finder. This is something that could easily be fixed, and it's not like it's THAT uncommon of an occurence.
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

vision rec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 11:36 PM

I am with Seamus with this one. I swear at this feature on a daily basis. Sure, we all understand why it is important to unmount a volume before disconnecting. BUT, in reality, this is a common problem.

Our staff members will mount a shared volume from work station 1 onto work station 2. Commonly work station 1 will be a tablet PC or iBook used as a mobile data entry station.

They will leave it mounted, but workstation 1 will be turned off at the end of the day. Then some unsuspecting hard working staffer struggling to meet a deadline sits down in front of work station 2. This eager sole is ready to complete a task and leave work to venture home to his loved ones, But instead of rewarding his hard work by providing him with rapid computer technology, he is rewarded with the multicolored "Oh! I can not find workstation 1" spinning ball of death thrown at him by 10.2.

There are many situations where a computer hosting a volume over a network will not warn the person shutting down the computer that some one else is connected. This is true in OS X and Windows. It is not elegant, it is annoying, and it is unMac like.

Now that I have vented, let me poise a simple question. Short of force quiting the Finder is there a way to tell OS X to stop looking? Escape and Apple-. do nothing. It is currently faster to force reboot the workstation and have it come back to life than wait for OS X to stop searching the network.

Thanks

snerdini
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 11:52 PM

Sounds like you all are using Jag. This was fixed in 10.3.

[Edit:] Crap. I just realized how old this thread was...the original problem was posted before Panther was out.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2003, 12:09 AM

Not a solution to this lame problem, but download a utility called Escapepod. It'll kill the Login Window with a key command, and you'll be logged back in after a few seconds. Faster than restarting, anyway.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules