Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G5 pix (along side a TiBook)

New G5 pix (along side a TiBook)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 11, 2003, 03:48 PM

See here.

(Scroll down. Don't use the links at the top of the page.)

One example:

( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jul 11, 2003 at 03:58 PM. )

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2003, 03:57 PM

From the G5 Airport installation manual. Oops, the G5 is called a G4:

-Q-
Jul 11, 2003, 04:14 PM

That'll look good on my desk.

But it does confirm (to me anyway) that the monitor doesn't really go with the design of the G5. And the printer definitely doesn't.

Thanks for the links!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 04:16 PM

yeah I've been thinking the same thing they'd better get some metal monitors or SOMETHING, because the one selling feature of the apple displays are that they match the Macs, otherwise you could get displays by like samsung or someone that are silvery that'd match better... although not terriblywell either.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2003, 04:47 PM

Dear Jesus it is HUGE!

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 07:04 PM

The white keyboard and mouse look like crap with the G5. How about a nice silver keyboard like the AlBooks? They could do the inside of the mouse silver too.

I hope that's a 15" display. 'cause if it's the 17" these powermacs are HUGE!. Buy two, place approx. 5' apart, place door across the top, instant desk.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
The white keyboard and mouse look like crap with the G5.
They look like crap with the MDD G4s, too, for what that's worth. When I got mine I kept my old black keyboard and mouse.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 07:39 PM

That is one crap photo. EVERYTHING looks like crap in that photo.
Be happy.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 07:41 PM

:Xl: is right. The plastic keyboards do not go with the G5. But does it really matter? Do you really look at your keyboard and say "That doesn't go with my machine".

Have you read the posts in the other thread? Some are complaining you can see the processors/heat sinks/whatever. I can't believe how fussy some people are about appearances and completely irrelevant things!

Face it, we'd buy the G5 if it was in a beige box. It's gonna be fast. But we'd complan no matter what about something.

Apple made a big improvement when the "pro" keyboards repalced the keyboards and puck mouses that the first g4s came with? Those were reasons to complain! Function over form is what's important. When Apple has trouble selling "function" they turn to form. Finally, they seem to have a competitive machine and a form fit for the future processors that will go in it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Do you really look at your keyboard and say "That doesn't go with my machine".

I can't believe how fussy some people are about appearances and completely irrelevant things!

are you really a mac user?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2003, 09:37 PM

I think it'd look cool if in the mesh front there was an Apple logo.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
are you really a mac user?
Not all Mac users care about aesthetics so much as to match all of their peripherals with their machines.

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2003, 05:17 AM

Just a few comments...

1. Whoever took that photo knows nothing about photography, it is truly an appalling picture to say the least. Let that be a lesson for future G5 owners, never take a picture of the G5 with the flash on, lest you want to see the innards of the beast.

2. Regarding the Monitor-G5 discrepancy: Now let's be honest, in my opinion the current ACDs and the late G4s weren't exactly mirror images when it comes to design. Both looked different in my opinion, and in fact no more different than the G5. And, besides, who puts a tower computer on top of their desk?

F

Melkor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2003, 05:33 AM

Thats simply an ugly and unesthetical combination.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2003, 07:24 AM

They don't look good together. I'm hoping when I get to see a G5 up close and personal that it will look better.

I just bought a computer on ebay sans keyboard & mouse. I really want to wait until after MWNY to see if they release new keyboard and mice but I hate shuttling my keyboard & mouse between two computers.

Back to the subject matter, what are the odds that apple who is big on a aesthetics willrelease a new design for the G5?

Mike

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 08:55 AM

Al PowerBooks and Al PowerMacs, Hmm, what could they make the Displays out of to match these products. Well, this is going to require some thought.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2003, 09:05 AM

1. Whoever took that photo knows nothing about photography, it is truly an appalling picture to say the least. Let that be a lesson for future G5 owners, never take a picture of the G5 with the flash on, lest you want to see the innards of the beast.
Well, it seems the picture was just to document its existence for government records, nothing more.

This picture is no piece of art either, but it's a little better:

Hash
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 10:01 AM

Design of G5, at least the case look, is complete disaster. Why on earth couldnt Ive put a nice silver or aluminium plate on the front panel, with nice metal or, even backlighted translucent, apple logo and make the holes less obtrusive? What the f they want to show with the mesh holes? I have built and rebuilt a few computers from scratch and have to say that i never saw such a strange, if not ugly, case. The front panel is important. Of course, now in G5 it is functional, with few connections, unlike before, but what an appaling lack of style, designing idea for the front panel.
I dont care for the back and side, since they dont matter as far as they provide noise reduction and good airflow, but at least the front panel could be designed with more imagination, considering how important is G5 is.. do you remember true revolutionary design of BW and imac, it helped so much sales..

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2003, 10:28 AM

Yeah I admit I agree, the G5 is definately ugly.

It looks like you're staring in the front of a monster car or something :shrug: oh well I'm not buying one anyway.

*pats his quicksilver* I still say it's the prettiest powermac ever made.
Aloha

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2003, 10:41 AM

I don't think it's ugly. It could be better but I personally think it looks OK. It also depends on the lighting. The front mesh definitely needs an Apple logo though. I wonder how much extra that would cost?

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2003, 11:30 AM

Why is everyone putting the G5 and G4 towers on your desks? They're tower cases and belong on the floor or in the hutch under the desk. Otherwise they would be shaped like desktop units like the iMac or Emac. Save your desktop space...

Terrance

Melkor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by terrancew_hod:
Why is everyone putting the G5 and G4 towers on your desks? Terrance
I guess because the old G4's were beautiful. It would be a shame to put them under your desk.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Melkor:
I guess because the old G4's were beautiful. It would be a shame to put them under your desk.
They also take up a ton of space. Beautiful or not, it's wasted desk real estate. Indeed, that's one of my beefs with the Apple displays too. They take up much more space than some of their competitors' (equivalently sized) monitors.

Fortunately, the new Power Macs have front ports - much easier to access, even with the computer under the desk.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
They take up much more space than some of their competitors' (equivalently sized) monitors.
Oh please, what an inch in depth and width?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

Melkor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
They also take up a ton of space. Beautiful or not, it's wasted desk real estate.
That depends on the size of your desk. Mine is big enough to put three towers on it.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 01:50 PM

I have a quite big desk, right now it holds a powermac with 17 inch CRT Studio Display, a PC Athlon Xp +1700 with Samsung Syncmaster 171 LCD 17 inch, a Sharp notebook, all connected into one LAN through a router and connected to net through a broadband modem, a small 2 speaker+subwoofer microlab system and
with Brother laser printer under the desk, UPS, and HP inkjet nearby but I like having computers ON the desk so you can easily change CDs.

Thats why I stress importance of beautiful front panel and yes, it really doesnt yet have any harmony with apple LCDs in terms of design (gonna be fixed, I guess, when displays will be revised - with mesh panels, perhaps?).

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
Design of G5, at least the case look, is complete disaster. Why on earth couldnt Ive put a nice silver or aluminium plate on the front panel, with nice metal or, even backlighted translucent, apple logo and make the holes less obtrusive? What the f they want to show with the mesh holes?
I can't confirm this (I haven't even gone through all of the g5 dev docs yet) but I think it might have something to do with heat and so with all those fans (9) everywhere. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 02:39 PM

You are right. The mesh holes provide the air inflow from the front. However, it doesnt mean, that the front panel must look like that. If you look at many computer cases, you will notice that they too have air intake holes in the front, but designers try to make not so visible by using front cover panels with nice design and so on. They do not obstruct air intake much.

In G5 case, I think that a middle-size or even full size cover OVER the mesh with 10-15 millimeter distance from the mesh could provide the necessary inflow, yet covering visually the holes, protecting the front and enabling much more appealing front design with/without apple logo and G5 logo.. the cover should not cover the mesh holes, of course.

jindrich
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2003, 03:37 PM

i agree with whoever said the G5 case is ugly. It looks nicer in the apple website because the grille looks like it has no holes, therefore is just slick brilliant *perforated* but in uniform color, white painted aluminium.

but on closer more real life photos it looks terribly ugly, showing the internals in a really bad way, thus losing its uniform color and shape.
It just looks unfinished: hey they only had time to make the side panels.

That's it, it looks cheap and ugly, with Tons of unused space in the whole, and 3 times bigger of what it should be: 50cm+ of height with only 2 hds and 1 cd? give me a break

it's the first time i regret a mac design. it doesnt belong to apple, but to some Pc manufacturer pretending to be apple.

total failure.
( Last edited by jindrich; Jul 12, 2003 at 03:42 PM. )

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2003, 06:24 PM

I like the case.

Could be improved, but what couldn't?

IMHO, it has an industrial 'harshness' to it, that really shows it's intent of the machine...

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2003, 06:32 PM

Ah.... the design is so-so. My big complaint is that the front of that case will pick up all sorts of dust and the like (got pets?) over time. It would be nicer if the vents were on the back and or bottom.

Let's not start wishing they'll change the design of the LCD displays - we'd probably end up with a non-ADC type connector. I'd really like to use my 22" for the next several generations of Mac computers. Too bad I can't use it with all of their new laptops (without jumping through hoops).

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
It would be nicer if the vents were on the back and or bottom.
The back and front are both vents. Allowing for air to pass though the front and out the back so that it cools every component. This does felicitate the dust issue that you brought up. I have two Cats and I am always pulling hair off my 17" PowerBook; not to mention out off my external keyboard. Looks like you would need to open this thing up once and a while and turn a can of air on it because those little holes are going to get crusty with dust fast.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2003, 02:05 AM

I'm going to look at my DP G5 and drool whenever I walk into the room. Get over it girls, it's what inside that counts.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Hash
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 05:02 AM

you can drool over it as much as you want but you cant deny that it looks ugly, case is stupid and looks like 10 year old assembled it from used tin cans. I never drool seeing any hardware, for that matter, you may drool, spool and finish looking at the mesh holes if that excites so much.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 05:12 AM

It will be hard to find such ugly PC, especially from a large manufacturer. And even 20$ PC cheapest case still has more functionality that this half-baked "piece of art", cause you wont get all trash and dust sucked into your G5 if you used that cheap PC case with front panel cover.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
Oh please, what an inch in depth and width?
Aren't you the one who posted this?

Why are Apple desktop LCD's so darn THICK and BIG?

colpolyp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2003, 01:38 PM

People people the fact that you can see the G5 inside parts only has to do with the lighting when the pics were shot. Any good photographer will know this. The pics on the Apple web site look like rendered pics to me, not photographs, so that is not fair either.

When you place your G5 in front of a window you can look straight through it yes (when it's daytime) but in a normal place with normal office lighting I bet it looks mighty dandy. (I saw it on a BBC-World item.)

When the colourful iMacs were replaced by the current iMacs some people were also moaning about the lack of colour and that the new ones were damn ugly. Well some people just complain don't they?

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2003, 02:04 PM

Why is everyone putting the G5 and G4 towers on your desks? They're tower cases and belong on the floor or in the hutch under the desk. Otherwise they would be shaped like desktop units like the iMac or Emac. Save your desktop space...

Terrance
You'll have to keep the G5 on the desk or clean them every week. The static bunny/cable twisting gnomes are going to have fun shoving tons of dirt, lint, animal hair, insides all the holes if it's on the floor.

* Where's the dust bunney ejector button, aahh F13 *

I think I'll design a wall mount where I can push a keyboard button and have it rotate and lower to insert and eject CDs.

Also need bright but low heat light for the inside and some dry ice hehe
( Last edited by Crusoe; Jul 13, 2003 at 02:12 PM. )
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 02:08 PM

Pictures never do any of Apples products justice. I have yet to be disappointed when I have actually been able to see one in person and most often times have been surprised that they look so much better. The little details and the solid feel can only be witnessed close up.

I would suspect that the G5 will be no different.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2003, 03:03 PM

hehe first thing I'm doing is getting a splitter for the fan's power cable, and putting LED strips in the front behind the grill. electric blue color most definitely. deeleeeshus. =D
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2003, 04:48 PM

re: the pictures in this post

2 words:

bounce flash

tikki
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 07:27 PM

they will have to take my black pro keyboard/mouse from my dead, lifeless hands.

That white keyboard/mouse is unacceptable for me.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Seamus
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Aren't you the one who posted this?

Why are Apple desktop LCD's so darn THICK and BIG?
Ohhhh, OWNED.
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Seamus:
Ohhhh, OWNED.
That's for sure...Read and documented...

Terrance

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
You'll have to keep the G5 on the desk or clean them every week. The static bunny/cable twisting gnomes are going to have fun shoving tons of dirt, lint, animal hair, insides all the holes if it's on the floor.

* Where's the dust bunney ejector button, aahh F13 *

I think I'll design a wall mount where I can push a keyboard button and have it rotate and lower to insert and eject CDs.

Also need bright but low heat light for the inside and some dry ice hehe
The thing is if they were so concerned about cooling, they could have done water cooling on the unit. And probably would have gotten more coolness points; then they could have closed up the unit. May be better than computer controlled cooling. Maybe they'll include a can of compressed air...I'm just afraid that an Software update would cause havoc on the system; kinda like when the update caused the powerbook batteries to go kaput...imagine upgrading to 10.3.2 and you reboot then the fans stop or incorrectly blow, taking out your CPUs...

Terrance

-Q-
Jul 14, 2003, 02:16 PM

I'm just afraid that an Software update would cause havoc on the system; kinda like when the update caused the powerbook batteries to go kaput...imagine upgrading to 10.3.2 and you reboot then the fans stop or incorrectly blow, taking out your CPUs...
I don't think that's something to be overly concerned about. From what I've read of the G5, it looks like the fans are controlled by the onboard firmware until the OS takes over. And until the OS takes over, they're all blowing at full speed. So while a bug could muck with fan management, it would only result in having a loud machine rather than an overheated processor.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
Dear Jesus it is HUGE!

Conscript
Jul 14, 2003, 04:14 PM

That's for sure...Read and documented...

Terrance
nope, sorry to say but you're the one who's "owned"...look closer. The poster here is "Skywalkers new hand"...and the poster in that other thread is "Severed Hand of Skywalker".

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Conscript:
nope, sorry to say but you're the one who's "owned"...look closer. The poster here is "Skywalkers new hand"...and the poster in that other thread is "Severed Hand of Skywalker".
Psssst... It's the same person.

We'll forgive you since you're new here.

Conscript
Jul 14, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Psssst... It's the same person.

We'll forgive you since you're new here.
well, then guess I've been "owned"

Forum Links
Forum Rules