Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.2 has killed my internet...

10.3.2 has killed my internet...
Seamus
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 02:54 AM

My B&W is behind a router which is sharing the internet between my three computers. Prior to 10.3.2, this setup was working just fine. The internet now no longer works on the system I upgraded to 10.3.2. Any suggestions? I've tried restarting several times, turning off AppleTalk and fire sharing, DHCP renew...nothing seems to work.
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 03:13 AM

OK, I've been playing around with this some more...even when I directly connect the cable modem to the computer, it's only assigning itself an internal IP address. It's behaving as if there's no ethernet cable going into the machine at all.

Very very frustrating. That's what I get for updating immediately...

redJag
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 03:21 AM

Is the LAN light in the cable modem on, indicating a connection between it and the mac? Do you know if the cable modem has a built-in router? If so, set your IP manually and set the cable modem IP as your router. Other than that..repair permissions..can't really think of anything else.
Travis Sanderson

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by redJag:
Is the LAN light in the cable modem on, indicating a connection between it and the mac? Do you know if the cable modem has a built-in router? If so, set your IP manually and set the cable modem IP as your router. Other than that..repair permissions..can't really think of anything else.
Yes, and when I have the machine connected to a router, it can see the other macs on the router and it can connect to them. But it can't access the internet.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 08:29 AM

Sounds similar to the 10/100 networking bug introduced by OSX earlier. Maybe 10.3.2 is killing networking again?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Dec 18, 2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Sounds similar to the 10/100 networking bug introduced by OSX earlier. Maybe 10.3.2 is killing networking again?
I'd have to (and all of you too) seriously question Apple's QA team if this is the case.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
I'd have to (and all of you too) seriously question Apple's QA team if this is the case.
You don't already?

Zoro
Dec 18, 2003, 11:01 AM

This looks like either a dns problem, or a gateway problem.

Is the info shown in the network preference pane correct ?

Can you access the web by ip addresses ?
appleinsider (and macnn) is at 216.22.45.53

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 02:42 PM

Before deciding that Apple has spontaneously disabled your networking, how about posting some real troubleshooting info? Like the output of ifconfig -a, netstat -rn, the contents of /etc/resolv.conf, a sample ping by name and a sample ping by address?

Wade

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by wadesworld:
Before deciding that Apple has spontaneously disabled your networking, how about posting some real troubleshooting info? Like the output of ifconfig -a, netstat -rn, the contents of /etc/resolv.conf, a sample ping by name and a sample ping by address?

Wade
While I don't appreciate your tone at all, here you go:

ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::250:e4ff:fece:4c4e prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 169.254.207.48 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255
ether 00:50:e4:ce:4c:4e
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex>
fw0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 494
tunnel inet -->
lladdr 00:50:e4:ff:fe:ce:4c:4e
media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>

netstat -rn
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire
default link#4 UCSc 4 0 en0
127 127.0.0.1 UCS 0 0 lo0
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 13 2653 lo0
169.254 link#4 UCS 1 0 en0
169.254.207.48 127.0.0.1 UHS 0 0 lo0
169.254.255.255 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff UHLWb 0 3 en0

Internet6:
Destination Gateway Flags Netif Expire
::1 ::1 UH lo0
fe80::/64 fe80::1 Uc lo0
fe80::1 link#1 UHL lo0
fe80::/64 link#4 UC en0
fe80::250:e4ff:fece:4c4e 0:50:e4:ce:4c:4e UHL lo0
ff01::/32 ::1 U lo0
ff02::/32 ::1 UC lo0
ff02::/32 link#4 UC en0

The resolv.conf file is empty and pings to both yahoo.com and its IP fail completely. The physical connections are all fine because I can access any of the other computers behind my router.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by wadesworld:
Before deciding that Apple has spontaneously disabled your networking, how about posting some real troubleshooting info?
Lighten up buckshot...responding with crap like that when people are in need/irritated is just plain stupid...

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 04:29 PM

What kind of router are you using?
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 04:31 PM

Shut down your machine, and Zap the PRAM. This resets ethernet and other ports.

I am using an AGP 400, not a B&W G3. I thik I remember that you have to turn on networking from several different screens.

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
What kind of router are you using?
I am using a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband router, model BEFW11S4.

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Y3a:
Shut down your machine, and Zap the PRAM. This resets ethernet and other ports.

I am using an AGP 400, not a B&W G3. I thik I remember that you have to turn on networking from several different screens.
Tried this, still doesn't work. I also did an archive and install of 10.3, and I STILL had the same problem. I just upgraded to 10.3.1, and that doesn't fix it either.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Seamus:
Tried this, still doesn't work. I also did an archive and install of 10.3, and I STILL had the same problem. I just upgraded to 10.3.1, and that doesn't fix it either.
Then it is extremely unlikely that it had anything to do with 10.3.2 other than coincidence. I just installed 10.3.2 on my laptop with no change in networking whatsoever.

What you are getting is a link-local IP address which is the result of either no DHCP server responding or you aren't physically on the network. I would first check that you get a link on both sides (the router should have a light, and the Mac should say. In OS 9 it used to show up in TCP/IP - I am not sure where it is now. If the link is there on both sides, try a static IP - just make sure you get it set up correctly.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 05:35 PM

I am using a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband router, model BEFW11S4.
Didn't I just see a firmware update for that model in the last few days? I'm pretty sure I did.

Edited: I just checked Linksys, and I was mistaken. Last firmware update was in October.

One of their wireless models just got a firmware update, but I can't find the article.

Have you tried contacting Linksys? They are pretty good about customer support.
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Then it is extremely unlikely that it had anything to do with 10.3.2 other than coincidence. I just installed 10.3.2 on my laptop with no change in networking whatsoever.

What you are getting is a link-local IP address which is the result of either no DHCP server responding or you aren't physically on the network. I would first check that you get a link on both sides (the router should have a light, and the Mac should say. In OS 9 it used to show up in TCP/IP - I am not sure where it is now. If the link is there on both sides, try a static IP - just make sure you get it set up correctly.
I am certain that there is a link on the router, the light is on and I can connect to other machines on the network. I tried to connect the computer directly to the cable modem, and that was no-go. I also tried a static IP, and that also failed to work. The only solution I can think of is to have one computer share internet access over ethernet, but that's highly unelegant. I'm going to try and do a clean install on my machine, and if that doesn't work, I have zero things left to try.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 05:44 PM

I am certain that there is a link on the router, the light is on and I can connect to other machines on the network.
How can you connect to other local machines? Using FTP, AFP, Web, etc? Can you do this when you have the link-local address (169.254.207.48)?

absmiths
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 05:51 PM

The only solution I can think of is to have one computer share internet access over ethernet, but that's highly unelegant. I'm going to try and do a clean install on my machine, and if that doesn't work, I have zero things left to try.
Does your router use NAT? Maybe we can get this worked out with the following info:

1 - What is your routers internal IP address?
2 - Can you give us at least one other configuration that works? (IP, subnet mask, gateway address, DNS address)
3 - What did you try when you set this up statically? (numbers)
4 - What numbers did this system have before (Same as for question 2)
5 - What interfaces does this mac use? (Ethernet, Airport, etc).
6 - What communications do work? (be specific, preferrably use communication with the machine from (2) as an example)

absmiths
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 05:57 PM

While I don't appreciate your tone at all, here you go:
. . .
netstat -rn
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire
default link#4 UCSc 4 0 en0
127 127.0.0.1 UCS 0 0 lo0
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 13 2653 lo0
169.254 link#4 UCS 1 0 en0
169.254.207.48 127.0.0.1 UHS 0 0 lo0
169.254.255.255 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff UHLWb 0 3 en0
It is interesting that you don't have any traffic bound for a gateway other than local. I am not sure what link#4 is, but my system has link#4 AND my gateway as destinations, so that is probably your problem if you can communicate with others on the subnet but can't get out.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 08:02 PM

no problem here so far.

Using Airport on my iBook as a software base station to the MDD (Ethernet).

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2003, 09:10 AM

I'm using the exact same router as Seamus, a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband router, model BEFW11S4. Before I install 10.3.2 on my 12" RevB AlBook, can anyone with the same router confirm that they *have* managed to install it without problems?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2003, 09:21 AM

I had a similar problem. After installing 10.3.2 I ran into a number of problems. I had three kernel panics after trying to wake from sleep and my internet was inconsistent. I could receive mail but I couldn't access certain web pages and not all pages downloaded completely (ie Apples web page, most of the new web pages). I also couldn't download any other Apple updates except from my .Mac account where I downloaded iTunes 4.2. I was planning last night to call Apple this morning but I got a little surprise about 7 PM last night. Everything suddenly started working.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2003, 10:52 AM

Lighten up buckshot...responding with crap like that when people are in need/irritated is just plain stupid...
Crap like what? How is someone supposed to troubleshoot a problem for the guy when all we got was "Apple hosed my network connection!"

We have no what the problem is, or what caused it. Yet the assumption is, Apple released an OS update that is buggy and completely hosed the guy's computer. I think that assumption presumes too much without evidence.

Wade

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2003, 11:04 AM

While I don't appreciate your tone at all
My tone is that you're blaming Apple for something which may in fact, not be their fault. I'm asking you to gather evidence first. If that's "mean" well....

I tried to connect the computer directly to the cable modem, and that was no-go. I also tried a static IP, and that also failed to work.
How is your network setup? Does the router get a DHCP address from the cable modem? Does the router then hand out DHCP address to the machines on your network? Does the router do NAT? How is the NAT setup?

How did you connect to the other machines on your network? Are they OS 9 machines? I won't be surprised if you're connecting to those machines over AppleTalk, which doesn't require IP.

As for connecting directly to your cable modem, you probably have the wrong type of cable. You would likely need a crossover cable to do so.

As for assigning a static IP, what IP did you try to assign? What gateway address did you try to assign? You can't just run around assigning static IP's on a dynamically addressed network unless you're sure of what you're doing.

net 169.254.207.48 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255
As was pointed out, this is an auto-assigned address, that gets assigned when DHCP fails. Is the router responding to DHCP requests? Have you checked the log on the router or turned on debugging output?

It's quite possible that what has happened is that your router is refusing to hand out an address for some reason. This wasn't a problem when your machine was booted before - it had acquired an address a while ago when the router was working and when you rebooted for the 10.3.2 install, the machine tried to acquire a new address and failed.

Wade

benb
Dec 19, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by mintcake:
I'm using the exact same router as Seamus, a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband router, model BEFW11S4. Before I install 10.3.2 on my 12" RevB AlBook, can anyone with the same router confirm that they *have* managed to install it without problems?
I have no problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules