Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > If the draft is reinstated and you are eligible for it, would you:

View Poll Results: If the draft is reinstated and you are eligible for it, would you:
Poll Options:
1. Volunteer 8 votes (33.33%)
2. If your number is called, comply 3 votes (12.50%)
3. If your number is called, skip it 1 votes (4.17%)
4. Leave the country before they start calling numbers 8 votes (33.33%)
5. Do something else (please explain) 4 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
If the draft is reinstated and you are eligible for it, would you:
E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 02:51 PM

1. Volunteer
2. If your number is called, comply
3. If your number is called, skip it
4. Leave the country before they start calling numbers
5. Do something else (please explain)

Try to give reasons for your answer.

I would volunteer for a couple of reasons:

- Despite the fact that I don't know what sort of war I'd be fighting or even if I'd be fighting at all, I can see it as giving back to the country, i.e., paying back a little
- I don't think I can sit and wait to be called or not to be called (kind of like saying, "might as well get it over with")

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 02:54 PM

Since you are the one asking - Define eligible - - - What's the age limits ?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 03:03 PM

I wouldn't volunteer because we have a family but if my number was called I'd go.

It's very simple to me.

If one of my sons was called up he'd go and we'd be proud of him and support him every step of the way. Of course, that will be many many years from now, but thought I'd throw that in.

This country rocks -- we live in the best place in the world -- and it's important to defend her.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 03:38 PM

I'd seek alternate service, if possible.

I have no problem with service to country - but I do have moral issues with killing in war.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2004, 03:47 PM

I'd volunteer, but I'm not eligible, so it really doesn't make any difference to me.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I'd volunteer, but I'm not eligible, so it really doesn't make any difference to me.
Same here.

I have volunteered before. I've been rejected twice.

Something about me not hearing in my right ear.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 04:03 PM

I'd dodge. At most I might fight as a partisan if there was an actual invasion of the US, but I would not be willing to fight formally, or elsewhere.

Plus of course, draft dodging has worked out well for my family. I wouldn't be here if my great-great grandfather hadn't come to America to dodge the draft in Russia.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by cpt kangarooski:
At most I might fight as a partisan if there was an actual invasion of the US, but I would not be willing to fight formally, or elsewhere.
Hm, illegal combatant. You know that the enemy can then legally do a little bit hazing and detain you indefinitely after the end of the war.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Hm, illegal combatant. You know that the enemy can then legally do a little bit hazing and detain you indefinitely after the end of the war.
If they've successfully invaded the US to the point where we'd need that, I think we'd be pretty well ****ed anyway.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

E's Lil Theorem  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Since you are the one asking - Define eligible - - - What's the age limits ?
Phisically "okay," and age-wise say, 18-26.

Another one of my reasons is that it's likely that I get to choose where I do my service.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 04:32 PM

If called, I'd go.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Beewee
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 04:36 PM

Since I never agreed with this war from the beginning I know I wouldn't serve, I wouldn't allow my country to benefit from me in anyway (even if it was only by proxy) so I wouldn't even be willing to do a desk job or hold a (non-combatant) position. However I am not sure as to whether I would skip the country and go somewhere else or stay and "face the music."

There is no point in serving if you don't believe in the cause that your country is fighting.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 04:38 PM

Good question, and if I'm gong to be totally honest, I'd do everything in my power to not have to go because I have a family -- and we're about to start adding to it.

Just thinking about what our men and women in uniform have to face scares the living crap out of me -- and I'm still talking about boot camp. Maybe when I was younger, but not now -- I'd do whatever I could to try and dodge it.

Yup. Dodge it.

You asked, so I answered honestly. Those men and women are all better men than me, and I don't mind saying it.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2004, 04:40 PM

I wouldn't go on principle, not for the reasons that wars are being started today.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2004, 06:30 PM

Men and Women age 18 to 34 will be eligible for the new draft.
Colin Powell(SP?) just made some comments about this the other day.

We need more troops boys and girls...............

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Secret__Police:

Where's the draft part at?

I'd join the day of the attack. Ex: Let's say its 2008. Terror attack in December. I'd go willingly.
But I've said this before: don't recall me being a marksman (cept in Perfect Dark, so I have to be good in real life. ). Not very good athletically or physically or whatever. That 2 mile run?
So I don't know what I'd really do if this happened.

I mean it'd be hard with a family and all, but still. Also, I'm not sure everyone is cut out for service.

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 06:40 PM

The day I sign up for the draft is the day the U.S. gets a government controlled health care plan like almost every other country in the world.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by UR-20:
The day I sign up for the draft is the day the U.S. gets a government controlled health care plan like almost every other country in the world.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 06:45 PM

So you won't join till the government takes over 7% of the economy? Sorry, but Hillary-Care is gone. Now we have "universal healthcare."
Can you really sign up for the draft, or do you might enlist?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 06:59 PM

Yeah, because the government runs it's programs so efficiently (re: social security, medicare, welfare, etc.).

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
So you won't join till the government takes over 7% of the economy? Sorry, but Hillary-Care is gone. Now we have "universal healthcare."
Can you really sign up for the draft, or do you might enlist?
Enlist, sign up, whatever. So long as 80% of the cost of my medical bills go straight to the GOV.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Yeah, because the government runs it's programs so efficiently (re: social security, medicare, welfare, etc.).

Myth Two: Universal Health Care Would Be Too Expensive
Fact One: The United States spends at least 40% more per capita on health care than any other industrialized country with universal health care

Fact Two: Federal studies by the Congressional Budget Office and the General Accounting office show that single payer universal health care would save 100 to 200 Billion dollars per year despite covering all the uninsured and increasing health care benefits.

Fact Three: State studies by Massachusetts and Connecticut have shown that single payer universal health care would save 1 to 2 Billion dollars per year from the total medical expenses in those states despite covering all the uninsured and increasing health care benefits

Fact Four: The costs of health care in Canada as a % of GNP, which were identical to the United States when Canada changed to a single payer, universal health care system in 1971, have increased at a rate much lower than the United States, despite the US economy being much stronger than Canada�s.

Conclusion: Single payer universal health care costs would be lower than the current US system due to lower administrative costs. The United States spends 50 to 100% more on administration than single payer systems. By lowering these administrative costs the United States would have the ability to provide universal health care, without managed care, increase benefits and still save money
source link
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 07:07 PM

<musing>

Noticing that a lot of people who seem to be Democrats and enjoy living in this country are the ones saying that they just wouldn't go.

Guess it's okay to b*tch and moan about politics...

And then do nothing to help the country you live in? I'm not talking about the over-the-hill or physically impaired folks, either.

Pretty sad, folks, pretty sad.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2004, 07:16 PM

In 1991 when I thought I was about to graduate from college, I considering joining the Army through OCS (Officer Candidate School) and work in the CID (or is it the CIC now?). Less than a year later (I was a Senior), I was diagnosed with Hodgkin�s Lymphoma (cancer) and had to drop out of school obviously. When I went back to school and graduated in 1993, I spoke briefly with a recruiter, but was told I have a life long ban from military service. I can�t give blood like I did during the Gulf War, which is unfortunately since I�m O-neg, universal donor. Oh, I will have been in remission for 12 years this October.

So, yes, I would probably join, but obviously can't.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster

Just like Welfare. 70% goes to administrative costs, the rest goes to the real program. The government has no right taking over an industry. There should be a free-market, not a state controlled bureaucracy.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
<musing>

Noticing that a lot of people who seem to be Democrats and enjoy living in this country are the ones saying that they just wouldn't go.

And then do nothing to help the country you live in? I'm not talking about the over-the-hill or physically impaired folks, either.

What's really sad is that some people think "defending the country" means attacking whatever pathetic, impoversihed and brutalized third world country a bunch of politicians insists you're supposed to be scared of despite a total lack of evidence that said country shows even the remotest chance of doing anything to harm you.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Phisically "okay," and age-wise say, 18-26.

Another one of my reasons is that it's likely that I get to choose where I do my service.
I guess I'm too old then. I'm one generation too late.

And no more morons need to accuse me or ask me , why don't I join.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2004, 07:45 PM

I think I might be over the age limit (33 as of today) for the draft. I still have one year of my IRR commitment left, so I might still get 'drafted' yet.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Beewee
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
<musing>

It takes a braver person to stand up for what he/she believes in than just doing what people expect of them. Not everyone lives by your code of morals and shares you values. Your idea of bravery is not a universal idea shared by all. Your definition of honor is not the same definition that others have.

If you want to serve, fine. But don't criticize others for making their own choice.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2004, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I think I might be over the age limit (33 as of today) for the draft. I still have one year of my IRR commitment left, so I might still get 'drafted' yet.
Ha!

My IRR commitment ended in 1997, so I am free and clear. Had I been called back to active duty while I was in the reserves I would have course gone.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 08:04 PM

If drafted, I would do my best to serve in a non-combat capacity. I have enough reservations seeing a lobster die for human consumption that killing another man in cold blood scares the **** out of me.

I would not voulteer.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 08:06 PM

Simey, what can someone who isn't really athletic do?
Congrats, you're no clinically insane.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2004, 08:06 PM

Seeing as I don't agree with this invasion at all, I certainly would not go. I definitely would not volunteer. I would much rather go to prison than fight for this administration, especially this President. This is under today's circumstances, of course.

As for any other circumstances, I'm just not sure.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 08:09 PM

Who said anything about serving being something you only do when your man is in the office?
Fad, you can make bomb icons or something.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2004, 08:10 PM

Simey, what can someone who isn't really athletic do?
Congrats, you're no clinically insane.

The first one is easy. Even if you aren't athletic, you will be in shape by the time you get out of basic. That's probably true even in the Navy.

Your second sentence just leaves me scratching my head.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
The first one is easy. Even if you aren't athletic, you will be in shape by the time you get out of basic. That's probably true even in the Navy.

Your second sentence just leaves me scratching my head.
See you're not a Navy man. You're not a Jarhead, are you?
I think you're being too optimistic about training.

Didn't you notice. You got like 1001 posts. You got diff colored stars.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2004, 08:25 PM

See you're not a Navy man. You're not a Jarhead, are you?
I think you're being too optimistic about training.

Didn't you notice. You got like 1001 posts. You got diff colored stars.
Oh man! Those stars are embarassing.

No I wasn't a Marine. I was a grunt.

Spoogepieces
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 09:00 PM

Oh, good, another bloated pork barrel entitlement program.

So, will you be happy when our taxes are at 100% just to take care of Uncle Frank who willingly smoked his entire life and now wants taxpayers to foot the bill? :roll:

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Oh man! Those stars are embarassing.

No I wasn't a Marine. I was a grunt.
You and Zimph can now share your plans for world domination. I'll be there in about�oh 5 months.

Dad was in Navy on sonar back in Vietnam. Ships never interested me. And I can't fly a jet cuz of my eyes. Oh well.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Same here.

I have volunteered before. I've been rejected twice.

Something about me not hearing in my right ear.
Heh, I would have figured you were deaf on the left side.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Better than deaf on both.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 09:23 PM

Better than deaf on both.
Grow a sense of humor.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 09:27 PM

Grow a sense of humor.
Both?
Ignorant, unknowing, indifferent, etc.
Come on it's not that hard.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 09:45 PM

Both?
Ignorant, unknowing, indifferent, etc.
Come on it's not that hard.
Look, Zim and I kid each other. It's not a big deal, and he doesn't need you jumping to his defense every time I give him a poke with the : pokingsticksmiley:

If that was supposed to be humor though, your attempt to join in the fun was pretty flat. Observe and learn. You'll get there.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Secret__Police:

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Happy Birthday.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 09:57 PM

That was actually funny.

Impressed.

E's Lil Theorem  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 07:39 PM

I know some people from the Bush Administration have said that they're not thinking about a draft now, but have not commented on the future (say, 2005, that I know of). As far as I knew, the same thing with the Kerry folks, until today:

John Edwards Promises No Draft
Your Town *Your State*Your Future

(AP) - Democratic vice-presidential candidate John Edwards promised there will be no draft if John Kerry is elected.

He also told a group of about 500 supporters at a town hall meeting in Parkersburg Wednesday that under the Kerry administration, no American soldiers would be sent into battle without a plan for peace and without the training and equipment they need.
These type of promises generally don't mean much in reality because we can't predict the future (e.g., we might be attacked again, an ally might need our help, etc.), but this promise in particular might make moms with teens out there think twice as to whom they vote for. That's until tomorrow when the Bush Administration comes out with their version of the promise

Full linkage

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 08:29 PM

I'd go through a series of steps:

1. If the draft is instated, I would immediately start planning for the worst. Take a crash-course in Italian, make tentative arrangements with my family members there, and so on. Also start preparing a statement for why I should qualify for alternative service.

2. If my number gets called, I'd stall as long as I could and try to get some kind of alternative service arrangement.

3. If I can't, and they're going to ship me off to fight whoever they decide is our enemy, I'd bolt. I know that Canada is no longer a safe place anymore so that's why I'd go to Italy.

You can bet I'd fight to the death if America was in real danger. But I'll go through just about anything to avoid the danger of actual combat. I would probably suck on the battlefield anyway. I would just run and hide, I could never bring myself to kill someone (unless, as I said above, there was a clear and present danger to myself, my family or my countrymen).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
I'd go through a series of steps:

1. If the draft is instated, I would immediately start planning for the worst. Take a crash-course in Italian, make tentative arrangements with my family members there, and so on. Also start preparing a statement for why I should qualify for alternative service.

2. If my number gets called, I'd stall as long as I could and try to get some kind of alternative service arrangement.

3. If I can't, and they're going to ship me off to fight whoever they decide is our enemy, I'd bolt. I know that Canada is no longer a safe place anymore so that's why I'd go to Italy.

You can bet I'd fight to the death if America was in real danger. But I'll go through just about anything to avoid the danger of actual combat. I would probably suck on the battlefield anyway. I would just run and hide, I could never bring myself to kill someone (unless, as I said above, there was a clear and present danger to myself, my family or my countrymen).
While those are nice statements there *cough*, in battle, it's you or the other guy. If this was some terrorist for example who plots to destroy America, then kill him. He's evil. He wants to kill you. Do it to him first or you'll regret it. Wait�no you won't, cuz you'd be dead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules